Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector quirk? Or Me?

Lost&Found

I've been using my Deus (v 4.0) a lot in order to become familiar with it before an upcoming trip. I love it, except for one thing: There are times when I hear a repeatable high tone in all sweep directions, but the target ID on the screen remains blank, showing only - -. I use Deus Fast most of the time. Is it me, or is it a quirk with the machine?

That is usually a larger piece of iron I've found. The horseshoe will show it well within id range but no numbers. Still that high tone will have a scratchy sound to it. Good luck on your hunt.

I also found a silver dime about 12" deep with a high tone but no number reading.Half way down it read 91 so dig everything to get the real treasure.

12" on a high tone? I only get about 4-5" on most high tones. Nickels, I get a lot deeper. How do you set it up Digger45 to get that deep? Also, I live in Northern California so I'm not sure about the ground, how much that will affect depth? Thanks, Jim

I use Gary's Hot program, i live in Fresno Ca so ground should be about the same, high mineralization here. I had several high tones with no numbers but didn't dig them, then i got curious and dug the last one, at 6" i got the number 91 went on down to find the dime. I have noticed that some programs that i have tried are not very deep,i will have to go back and look to see what is different in the Hot program. I also set up the same program with a 4 kh to switch to for bottle caps, this seem to work well when dragging back the coil you will get an iron sound at the end of the pull.

If you get the repeatable high tone with no numbers, switch to 4kHz. If it disappears *most* of the time it will be iron. However if it still repeats, but at a slightly lower pitch dig it each and every time!

Thanks for the input. Guess I'm still wondering why such an advanced machine would draw a blank? I've never had any of my other (older) detectors come up with a blank ID. They may come up wrong, but not blank.

An incorrect ground balance can give these symptoms, turn tracking and pumping off and try manual set at 90.
As mentioned earlier it may also be a deep target.
Please keep us posted.

Unfortunately the ground in the US varies widely and in very few cases is "90" the optimal setting. As your ground deviates from "90" you start to get less stable operation and performance is impacted. In some local areas in MI I have seen typical values of 75 to 83. In MS, we saw 65 to 70 at the Bootcamps. If you get too far apart between the actual value and what the ground shows, you will have issues - but the detector will tell you that something needs to be adjusted.

If you get a good audio but the - - TID displayed and a sliver of black on the horseshoe, those typically are targets that you want to investigate.

Andy

I concur with Andy I have a field where a portion of it drops to the mid 60's in GB and 50 yards away it will be in the high 80's. America is a vast country and it stands to reason that different areas of a State will have diverse terrain.

We have a DMV site (Deserted Medieval Village).

The finds are very deep and can be found on a hard core base which was laid many hundreds of years ago.

We have to listen for a whisper on the headset and no Digital number showing.

Just a witness on the horseshoe due to the depth and then start digging.

As we dig down the sound improves and we start getting a digital readout.

Some of the coins have lain protected over the centuries and come out looking almost like the day they were dropped.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Hey CZ, you and Digger 45 both switch to 4khz to check signals. Why not run in 4khz all the time? I usually run in 12 but have been considering running in 4. What do you or Digger 45 think?

With 4 kHz the iron buzzes a lot better than in higher kHz in my ground, you will have to try it in your ground to see if it works the same. Higher kHz seem to go deeper for small targets which is what i'm looking for, but you get that 93 that should be a quarter and by switching over and getting the buzz you know right a way it is a bottle cap.

I stay in 4kHz almost all the time for park hunting. Curb strips are also done in 4kHz but with higher reactivity. The rare times I hunt playground tot lots I will switch to 12kHz. Deep bottlecaps can sometimes sound like coins, and vice versa.