Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus and its sweet spot frequency

Hi there guys, I do not own a deus yet but I am seriously thinking about it. I do have a question about frequency. The deus has 4 frequencies yet the coil really can only be set to match or resonate with only one of the 4 and that seems to be the 18 KHZ from what my research is telling me. I relic hunt for deep high conductors with very little trash in the ground yet the ground is fairly hot. If I buy the Deus does anyone know or tried to talk with the techs about retuning the coil and probably the circuitry to where the resonance sweet spot would be on the 4 KHZ and or the 8 KHZ. For a price of course. Not even sure if it can be done though or would it even make the detector hotter on higher end conductors. I could be way off here but wondering about it after much research. Thanks for any thoughts, Steve

Not sure where you get the idea the 18 kHz is the "sweet spot" but I find it depends on conditions and what I'm hunting for. The rule is the lower the frequencies are better suited for deep high conductive metals such as silver and the higher frequencies better for low conductors like gold and small metal targets. When coin shooting out city park I use 4 kHz when hunting our tot lots I use 18 kHz as a general rule. Now the exception is ground conditions. Higher frequencies can also work better than low in high mineral ground so like most detecting it just depends on conditions and what you're hunting for.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1108370,1108448#msg-1108448

Hi there southwind, thanks for the info. I thought I would show you this from what I found. Im sure you know all this but sometimes Im the one that needs clarification. I was a little confused when you said that higher frequencies can work better than low in high mineral ground. From what I see out there that this might be the exception rather than the rule. Detectors designed for gold hunting all have higher frequencies and of course most of the areas where gold hangs out is highly mineralized. These specialized detectors will work much better in these extreme conditions over a generalized detector with a lower operating frequency. But in general , a guy relic hunting for high conductors with a non gold detector over above average mineralization I think will do better with a lower frequency detector. I hope Im on the right path here. But I fully realize that circuit design just might fully trump this thinking.
All the reading I have done about the 4 frequencies used on the deus points towards the18 and then the 12 being the 2 frequencies the dues works best with. The way I understand it is the coil can only be optimized or tuned to work best with only 1 given frequency and it appears that the company picked the higher. If my info is flawed please correct me. Thanks, Steve

I been doing some Deus coil work.... The Deus coil is optimized to all 4 Freq. / That's is done by L for the coil and C for the capacity. The L stays and With two relays on/off on/on off/off off/on more or less C is changing the resonans from the LC.
XP allso made the L (Inductance) so the C got a lot to say.. (Wide L) Not only that, in the coil there is a board with so much electronic.
So the XP Deus coil is optimized no matter what Freq you are using.
I even scoped the TX at all Freq. (Allso the Expert changed) and there was allmust no different.. XP made a Very good job with our coils.
Regards Henrik

Henrikras you work is great!,,

I use 4 KHz more than any other freq.....coin n token hunting, it was also the freq I found my Gold Half Eagle

Jim

I understand people want to understand their detector - which is something I preach on any model - but at times, the information being sought makes one step back and scratch their head . . . . .

As Henrik has stated, based on his testing, there is no one frequency that works better than others due to the design of the Deus. Alain and his team have invested countless hours ensuring that the Deus does what they wanted it to and does it under a wide range of ground conditions, on a wide range of targets and across all four frequencies.

The comment about "researching showing that the 18 kHz frequency is the one that works the best" begs the question . . . research where? The Deus is not alone when it comes to erroneous information that has been posted by people that have put on the expert jacket and posted information that in many cases is not only incorrect but confuses readers and results in less performance than had the preset programs been used with no changes.

[attachment 300089 MustBeTrue.jpg]

NOTE: Not trying to poke at the poster of this question or any specific forum but we shoudl all step back and digest the material that gets posted . . . . taking everything as gospel tends to produce uncertain results at best . . . . . . I thought the picture would add a little humor to the post. Remember the line in Men In Black when they picked up the National Enquirer . . . and said that was where the real news was published :stars:

The frequency you select should be based on the ground conditions at YOUR site and the targets that YOU are seeking . . . . If you are still learning the machine, understand the controls before you start loading programs others have posted . . . . some work and others have settings that make little sense when you look at the overall product. Understand the functions and you will be able to discern what might be worth trying and what isn't.

And as a side note, great post Henrik . . . . always enjoy seeing what you have come up with to enhance a great detector

Andy

Yeah I noticed that 4 khz is often used in US... We got many small and thinny and sometimes cut old coin coins.... 8-11-17 khz is mustly our choice.
Sorry that I did go out of the subject Galsatisan... Hope you got your answer and you will get a Deus soon.
Take care...
(Ps I'm wondering If masking would be less at 4 khz. I must make a test some day.)

But a low frequency of 4 with a high reactivity does cause the detector to be noisy. I have had a few different Deus detectors and have hunted quite a few places and the results are the same. If I want to hunt a site with iron infestation on a fast recovery I go right to 18 kHz.

goodmore said:
But a low frequency of 4 with a high reactivity does cause the detector to be noisy. I have had a few different Deus detectors and have hunted quite a few places and the results are the same. If I want to hunt a site with iron infestation on a fast recovery I go right to 18 kHz.

I've tried to hunt some irony places in 12 and 18 kHz with mid to high reactivity settings, and if the site has any can slaw present, these frequencies light up the aluminum bits a little TOO well! At least for me in a usual urban setting, 4 and 8 kHz will "downplay" or be less sensitive to these tiny pieces of slaw, although I'm sure that there may be some chains and thin gold items I'm likely passing by. I have a good 8 kHz program adjacent to the 4K program that I use to ID nickels since 4 kHz is a bit less sensitive to them, this really helps on 6-7" nickels where VDI starts to get squirrely, sometimes a quick jump to 8 kHz will "enhance" the target if it is a nickel; and conversely there won't be much difference in the target if it is NOT.

However, in a tot lot, it's always going to be 18 kHz since in this environment one is usually after jewelry, with 18 kHz being superior for finding the thin chains and small gold items (I have no gold finds to show for it yet LOL!)

Some of the 4 kHz insensitivity to smaller, deeper low conducting targets can be offset slightly by running manual GB a few points LOWER than the actual ground reading. If you don't mind digging a few deep iron nails that like to false, this seems to help when I'm going after deeper targets where there is a lot of EMI present. But targets like this are "audio hunts" almost exclusively, however lately it's been well worth it!

Here's a well-qualified guy that's really into "Relic" hunting and why he's using his Deus
Metal Detecting World-dot-com

glasartisan said:
Hi there guys, I do not own a deus yet but I am seriously thinking about it. I do have a question about frequency. The deus has 4 frequencies yet the coil really can only be set to match or resonate with only one of the 4 and that seems to be the 18 KHZ from what my research is telling me. I relic hunt for deep high conductors with very little trash in the ground yet the ground is fairly hot. If I buy the Deus does anyone know or tried to talk with the techs about retuning the coil and probably the circuitry to where the resonance sweet spot would be on the 4 KHZ and or the 8 KHZ. For a price of course. Not even sure if it can be done though or would it even make the detector hotter on higher end conductors. I could be way off here but wondering about it after much research. Thanks for any thoughts, Steve

iron infested? How about white infested like you say here goodmore.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?20,2123329,2123342#msg-2123342