Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DEUS II EMI Issue?

It’s no big secret that the XP products seem to be “sparkier” than other brands or even technologies. One thing that I hope has been considered in the making of the D2 is the people who are NOT going to be hunting out in left field…literally. Urban hunting really presents a challenge when it comes to EMI in general, and I don’t know how much this has been taken into account.
As far as the “cross talk” between machines which is apparent in both videos…nobody in their right mind is hunting that close to someone else for any reason in the real world. They were just comparing the signals and the machines were having an unwanted interaction, so there is no surprise in what was seen here. I didn’t see anyone try to noise cancel in either video, and the EQX and D2 both have that ability. So is there some kind of “killer problem” that can’t be fixed by noise canceling or simply moving away? I wouldnt think so, but we obviously don’t know for sure yet. Personally I dont think there’s a real problem.

In the Video that Calibash posted how far did the guy have to get away from him to get his detector to hit the target? My guess it looked about 20 feet maybe?
I for the most hunt by myself anyways but when at the ocean there are sometime others there detecting too.
I would get some radio EMI on the NOX from rangers in the area but I could still hit the targets.

Maybe the latest update can help out with this on the D2. It claims it made improvements with the frequency scan.
Have other detectors not been able to see the target at all when this happens?
I don't remember not being able to HIT targets while having EMI It would be noisy but I could still hear the target.

Have other detectors not been able to see the target at all when this happens?
I don't remember not being able to HIT targets while having EMI It would be noisy but I could still hear the target.
There is a difference between emi you hear and emi you don't hear. Silent emi the user has no idea it's even happening until they realize they are not finding anything. I have had it happen on several detectors over the years and now as a habit use my wedding ring to wave over coil from time to time to be sure I have no silent emi. My buddy and I have had this happen several times using equinoxes too close together. One detector making erratic sounds while the other is silent and not able to detect any targets. So yeah normal for the most part. Only gonna get worse with everything going wireless. Remember CB radios ability to be heard over the radio? It would interrupt my Cincinnati Reds baseball game on the radio lol.

My CTX ran pretty stable can't say I remember it acting up to much.
But I had a Whites DFX I swore could pick up airplane chatter through the threshold sound.
I sent it back to Whites they sent me a brand new replacement and it did the same exact thing LOL.
I am going to watch this Silent EMI first time I ever heard of it. Really could cost you Targets being you can't even tell if it is happening.
What other Detectors have you had the Silent EMI issues with?

There is a difference between emi you hear and emi you don't hear. Silent emi the user has no idea it's even happening until they realize they are not finding anything. I have had it happen on several detectors over the years and now as a habit use my wedding ring to wave over coil from time to time to be sure I have no silent emi. My buddy and I have had this happen several times using equinoxes too close together. One detector making erratic sounds while the other is silent and not able to detect any targets. So yeah normal for the most part. Only gonna get worse with everything going wireless. Remember CB radios ability to be heard over the radio? It would interrupt my Cincinnati Reds baseball game on the radio lol.
Yep, I tried to explain that to a couple of new hunters. They looked at me like I was nuts. Both use the Equinox and they stay so close the could hold hands.

My CTX ran pretty stable can't say I remember it acting up to much.
But I had a Whites DFX I swore could pick up airplane chatter through the threshold sound.
I sent it back to Whites they sent me a brand new replacement and it did the same exact thing LOL.
I am going to watch this Silent EMI first time I ever heard of it. Really could cost you Targets being you can't even tell if it is happening.
What other Detectors have you had the Silent EMI issues with?
Some of them are whites MXT, M6, Fisher F75, Teknetics T2, Nokta Makro Simplex, all 3 of my equinox 800's and my nox 600, and several more . It's more common now than even a few years ago. Seems worse with equinox for me but I've had more issues with equinox emi than any other detector I've used.

The Fisher f75 and the T2 we're the older versions and along with the whites sometimes it wasn't completely silent EMI, there was a very slight buzz in the background It almost sounded like your threshold so it didn't often dawn on me as I often ran a threshold back then Now I hunt silent. But I think the newer f75 special edition etc eliminated this issue at least in the time I used them after the updates I never noticed it.

It’s no big secret that the XP products seem to be “sparkier” than other brands or even technologies. One thing that I hope has been considered in the making of the D2 is the people who are NOT going to be hunting out in left field…literally. Urban hunting really presents a challenge when it comes to EMI in general, and I don’t know how much this has been taken into account.
As far as the “cross talk” between machines which is apparent in both videos…nobody in their right mind is hunting that close to someone else for any reason in the real world. They were just comparing the signals and the machines were having an unwanted interaction, so there is no surprise in what was seen here. I didn’t see anyone try to noise cancel in either video, and the EQX and D2 both have that ability. So is there some kind of “killer problem” that can’t be fixed by noise canceling or simply moving away? I wouldnt think so, but we obviously don’t know for sure yet. Personally I dont think there’s a real problem.
So redefining EMI to Silent EMI solves the problem?

Typically when “silent EMI” had been batted around in such forums as Dankowskis or Geotech, it refers to EMI that has an affect on a machines performance, but is NOT reflected in the threshold or erratic behavior. An operator would have absolutely no idea it was there, unless they were doing a test on a known target. When someone says they have EMI it’s always something they can sense directly. Silent EMI would be something they might sense indirectly, by seeing a failure to hit a known and otherwise achievable target(i.e. a target someone else can easily see). It’s all “EMI” really.

Typically when “silent EMI” had been batted around in such forums as Dankowskis or Geotech, it refers to EMI that has an affect on a machines performance, but is NOT reflected in the threshold or erratic behavior. An operator would have absolutely no idea it was there, unless they were doing a test on a known target. When someone says they have EMI it’s always something they can sense directly. Silent EMI would be something they might sense indirectly, by seeing a failure to hit a known and otherwise achievable target(i.e. a target someone else can easily see). It’s all “EMI” really.
Exactly right and we'll said. You know the deus I've used since 2013 and have never, that I personally know of, had any issues with silent emi. When I used the older black coils the skin was very noticeable. When I switched to x35 coils I would get a very slight chatter in background and that would cause detector to lose sensitivity to targets where I would lose depth and ability to detector smaller items. Switching to HF coils pretty much eliminated all performance changing emi. If there was any emi I was still able to detect deep and small targets. So yes most of us have delt with this for years and just got used to working around it.

It's not redefining emi, it's a different type. The same but different lol. It's effect is the same but it does it silently. Which is why many of us don't know it's even happening til it stops and we start hearing targets again. It happens very rarely so most would be fine to pretend it doesn't exist and not much would be missed while detecting.

99.9% of the time we're at least 100 feet apart unless I go with my brother, then it's at least 1,000 feet:argue:
😆Awww, that’s just that “sibling rivalry” at work! But yes, I have a brother and know what you mean…

Typically we don’t hunt close together but often we check signals or end up closer together at some point during a hunt. The 800 will make my deus nutty when close together. I remember the first time this happened my buddy noise canceled his 800 while holding them close together and it made it better. Like several have commented this is nothing new. My wife had a 6000 di series 3 and I was running the 6000 di pro. I was swinging over a good target and asked her to come and swing her machine over it. When she got real close the target disappeared. Took a little bit to figure out what was going on but we did. A machine messing with another machine is nothing new. I wish calabash would have asked his hunting buddy to noise cancel with them close together and see what happened. Hint hint…somebody lol.

I also thought they fixed the VDI numbers to be a constant switching programs.Another video shows someone here in AZ and as he switches programs the numbers change, from a 72 - 94 on a dime in different programs (unless my eyes were playing tricks) also it would not hit the dime at 7 inches. These are the results I wanted to see.