Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus lower rod improvement.

basstrackerman

This is for using the simplex or Legend carbon fiber lower rod with a Deus or Deus 2. This is all you need, a nylon spacer 2 thick rubber washers and Sand each side of the lower rod down just a little bit so that there's plenty of space on each side where it's not rubbing the inside of the coil ears. This lower rod not only is stiffer because it's carbon fiber but it's also lighter weight, and 2.5 in longer which for me eliminates the need for a tall man center rod. So if you're swinging the larger coils you won't get that whipping effect of the lower rod flexing back and forth after the swing. This works perfectly this should have been the lower shaft that came with the new detector but for $35 and about $2 in parts it works much better than the original. I added this so I could use it on the beach and in the water on the Gulf Coast because the original shaft was causing wear issues were sand was getting in and rubbing the inner coil ear. no matter how tight I tightened it that coil would still move a little bit because it's only a one washer design. This setup uses 2 washers, it is plenty tight enough to keep coil from moving. It's the same thing as using the new Anderson rod where you have two washers and it just stiffens up the coil so much better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220711-145546_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-145546_Photos.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_20220711-145540_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-145540_Photos.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20220711-145536_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-145536_Photos.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20220711-145532_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-145532_Photos.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20220711-145523_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220711-145523_Photos.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 149
Looks good I had to purchase some spare washers for my nox only the factory washers work the best!
I bought another brand may have been detect ed they were to thin!
Mark

Looks good I had to purchase some spare washers for my nox only the factory washers work the best!
I bought another brand may have been detect ed they were to thin!
Mark
On the several equinoxes that I had I used all but the original washers. The teardrop shaped original washers wore out so fast that I was afraid the ears of the coil were going to snap off like everybody else's did. So I quickly bought a carbon fiber shaft off of Steve and it came with the two rubber washers and I think a couple of extra rubber washers. Those things never wore at all they were very good and I never even had to use the second set.

Here's a couple more pics to show you the rest of what I did. That bushing to fill the Gap inside the lower simplex rod you can buy at Lowe's and a pack of like four for $0.94 and they fit perfectly inside the lower shaft to fill that whole giant Gap. You can superglue it like I did and make it permanently part of the lower rod therefore the hole will then be the size of the standard hole on the factory Deus lower rod. Then you could just go back to using the stock Deus lower rod and if you wanted to just use a thin nylon bushing to shim the washer on the rubber washer side and that would really be the only extra thing you'd have to get if you wanted but I picked up these nylon washers off of eBay I have not gotten them yet but I will just use one in place of the rubber washer on the nut side or that little cone shaped shim works on the stock lower and that will put everything basically back to stock except you're using a better lower rod that is made out of carbon fiber and it's two and a half inches longer and it's just a nicer rod altogether.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-110457_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-110457_Photos.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_20220712-110142_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-110142_eBay.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 167
looks great! thanks

Very cool do you by chance have part numbers for the spacers and washers? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the pics, I've got a shaft on the way.

This is for using the simplex or Legend carbon fiber lower rod with a Deus or Deus 2. This is all you need, a nylon spacer 2 thick rubber washers and Sand each side of the lower rod down just a little bit so that there's plenty of space on each side where it's not rubbing the inside of the coil ears. This lower rod not only is stiffer because it's carbon fiber but it's also lighter weight, and 2.5 in longer which for me eliminates the need for a tall man center rod. So if you're swinging the larger coils you won't get that whipping effect of the lower rod flexing back and forth after the swing. This works perfectly this should have been the lower shaft that came with the new detector but for $35 and about $2 in parts it works much better than the original. I added this so I could use it on the beach and in the water on the Gulf Coast because the original shaft was causing wear issues were sand was getting in and rubbing the inner coil ear. no matter how tight I tightened it that coil would still move a little bit because it's only a one washer design. This setup uses 2 washers, it is plenty tight enough to keep coil from moving. It's the same thing as using the new Anderson rod where you have two washers and it just stiffens up the coil so much better.
Nice mod.
So is the lower rod you purchase shaped like the xp? Or is it and just happens to fit proper?
Thanks

Meant to say “round”
The simplex/legend lower rod is shaped exactly like the deus lower. It fits right in like it was made for it. A 5 min mod allows you to use the lower in place of the stock deus lower. I love it and won't go back. It also ads 2.5" of length.

This mod works really well! I got bored this weekend and turned some bushings out of 3/4" delrin rod. Thanks for the idea basstrackerman!

IMG_1351.JPGIMG_1352 2.JPGIMG_1354.JPGIMG_1355.JPGIMG_1357.JPG