Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus Newbie prep for 3hr Park Hunt Tomorrow.

flysar

I used a 9" Deus in my backyard (first hunt) for about 45 minutes this afternoon and pulled 3 targets, a grommet, small flattened lead, and a bent nail.
I've tested 15+ detectors over my yard in the last 4 years, including 2 PIs, so I wasn't expecting anything easy but I think I drank the Deus separation cool-aid and thought amongst the iron I'd find that high squeaker. The grommet and lead were relatively easy digs amongst the chatter but the nail was a little iffy but had me convinced it was a dime, bent nails fool all detectors I've used except a Tesoro so no surprise there.
I was using Fast with the following adjustments, 12 kHz, 5 tones, Pumping GB 83 (6+ mineralization bars), sens 84 to knock down some chatter.
I'm headed to a park tomorrow in a nearby town for a 3hr hunt. The soil is similar to my yard in mineralization.

What changes would you suggest to the program I used to help with the learning curve?

Thank you & HH

Fly, what are the main targets you're going after? Deep coins, jewelry, or whatever comes out of the ground? If you are coining, one of my favorite programs starts with gmaxx , 8 kh, 4 tone as the deep ih and wheats give a warble. Id norm off, I run disc at 8-9 iron vol. 2 and depending on how much trash, I run reac. on 1, silencer on 0. Sens as hi as I can without to much chatter. Oh and I run target volume at 3 so the deep targets come in soft. Now, depending on any number of variables, any of these may need to be changed for your area.Beauty of the deus.

On v4 I've been using tracking on gb and like how it is getting on. Good luck and play around with some settings as you'll most likely find a combo that works for your ear.

Thank you for the feedback.
Coins & Jewelry are my primary targets though I tend to dig most clean nonferrous signals.
I ran 12 kHz because it seemed to hit cleaner on my test nickel. I don't know if that's because it being a lower conductor, my soil, or both. 8 kHz makes a lot of sense when going after silver and copper, I'll give it a shot.
In your experience does reactivity of 1 generally give you the same iron separation as other mid-high level units or better? I thought running at 3 would pull that high tone others are missing. I think I did read that depth can be affected but if you can't see it because of separation then depth means nothing. Just thinking out loud.
'bleeohio' I really appreciate the help and your settings and I'll put them to the test in a couple of hours.

bleeohio said:
Fly, what are the main targets you're going after? Deep coins, jewelry, or whatever comes out of the ground? If you are coining, one of my favorite programs starts with gmaxx , 8 kh, 4 tone as the deep ih and wheats give a warble. Id norm off, I run disc at 8-9 iron vol. 2 and depending on how much trash, I run reac. on 1, silencer on 0. Sens as hi as I can without to much chatter. Oh and I run target volume at 3 so the deep targets come in soft. Now, depending on any number of variables, any of these may need to be changed for your area.Beauty of the deus.

On v4 I've been using tracking on gb and like how it is getting on. Good luck and play around with some settings as you'll most likely find a combo that works for your ear.

2.8 hrs in the park and some trails behind the park; shotshell headstamp was found just off the trail. Used the Fast I mentioned and 'bleeohio' recommendations above.
What I liked:
- lightweight, I've had neck and shoulder surgeries and always use a harness... definitely not needed with this rig.
- easy to carry going from point A to B if you cant swing
- size is very compact
- both copper pennies high tone around a dime (my 5 tone setup), may be able to avoid zincs?
What I still need work on (no dislikes since this was my first hunt with it)
- dug more bottle caps, they sure sound good, than with previous machines but I may have them figured out.
- no matter what freq or swing speed I couldn't get the nickels to stabilize, 50-72 ID and blended tones, almost didn't dig 2 of them but the Deus is new for me. If they wouldn't have hit 63 solid a few times I would have passed for sure. Never had this much trouble with nickels, regardless of machine before. Nothing else detected in the hole after pulling them.
- foil and lead numbers and tones were all over the place as well.
- battery level indication, both coil & remote showed full (assumed previous owner charged) when leaving the house but the coil was down to one bar and the remote was at three when I was done. I'll top everything off and see how the next trip goes.
I've got another 6+ hours planned over the next few days with no plans to take my other machines to fall back on so I'll know more then.
I'll keep reading, watching videos and swinging!
HH

Yeah, the lower the react. and silencer you can run the better depth it seems. If I'm on grass I have to make myself run on react2 if in trashy spots, old habits die hard I guess. On plowed fields though homesteading on a nail carpet I'll bump up to three. Good luck on your hunt, only thing I'll add is set it up to what you like to hear. I had a couple early Deus and bailed on them because I was trying to run other people's programs, we all like different things in a detector.
Full tones make my ears bleed.... Some love it.

Great review Flysar.. as you know I am very interested in your take in the Deus. Good luck with your weekend hunts. Tim.

The 12 khz seem to be best for the tot lots, a little tip, yesterday i hunted a tot lot using the same settings except i turned the sensitivity down to about 80, when i got close to the iron posts it would sound off as normal, then when i hit one post as i was pulling it away i got a high tone.

As i dug around the pole i see a 50 cent piece leaning up against the pole. I have hunted this tot lot at least twenty times with two other detectors and have never got two different signals at the poles, then i went to where the steel steps were and they sounded off and when i pulled away i got several high and mixed signals, under the steps was a total of 42 cents in quarter, dime, nickel and two pennies.

By turning the sensitivity down i believe it was able to pick the coins.

D-fast setting with 12 khz and 80 sensitivity