Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFX to V3I

greenmachine

I have a DFX. I was wondering if it pays to trade it in for the new V3i. My detector looks and works like new.

Thanks for your input

greenie

From the looks of things you might be better off to wait a while and see what happens with the V3 "issues". Heck I am considering a DFX instead of a V3. The V3 definitely gives you more information than the DFX, but it seems like a lot of people are having "issues" and the rest just keep their fingers crossed. As a potential buyer I don't get a very confident vibe from the V3 forums.

The answer is yes. The problem with the coil epoxy will be solved. The V is head and shoulders above the DFX. If the coil does bad they replace it. By the way, the DFX uses the same coils. It just isn't as sensitive and doesn't run the 22.5 khz so you don't notice the not perfect null. Rob

You are right Diggler........PEOPLE are having issues.......... The V3 and V3i and their coils for the vast majority are working fine. If you have a defective machine or coil, White's will quickly fix or replace them, that is the way it has been and I expect it to continue to be so. Carl told me that the vast majority of returned coils tested fine and because it does not null perfectly does not mean the coil is defective.

I have been a V3 user since September. Prior to that I was an "experienced" DFX user. There are many features I like on the V3 which were not available on the DFX. The Analyze feature is a nice feature, the color screen and the advanced configurations are all nice. But in my opinion, they are not what makes the "V" special. What really makes it special is how sensitive the V3 is to small gold and jewelry including tiny buttons. I am digging .22 shells more than 5 inches deep.

Overall I do not find the V3 to be a deeper machine than the DFX on coins. I am also using the 950 Eclipse coil. I also do not think the VDI and depth indication on the V3 are as accurate as the DFX. These are both minor issues and may be isolated to my unit.

You need to be the judge.

Again he would be buying an "i". It seems to be deeper because it runs more quiet. Also the depth readings are now improved.

Thanks for the information. The question I think is will I get a decent trade-in or will I be told that I have an old outdated model and it is not worth much. If I find the right deal I will jump on it or else just wait till I find what is justified in my own mind.

Thanks again for the replies.

greenie

I went from a DFX to a V3i two weeks ago and I really like the new machine.

I have only been checking my own trashy yard and have not made it to the park or other places yet. So far I have found a couple of memorial cents plus many brass and aluminum pieces that I had not found in the past with my 6000, XLT, or DFX. Those all all great machines but I think this one is better at finding stuff in amongst the trash. One foot in front of the pavement to my garage I dug up a brass 3" diameter disk which I recognized as going to an old GM starter, how I had missed that I can only guess it is due to the other iron and junk in the ground.

My local dealer gave me a nice trade when I turned in my DFX and it was 8 years old. He gave me about half my initial DFX cost towards credit for the V3i. I had a hotshot coil with it, along with the original never used 9.5" coil and the box the detector came in. I was happy with the purchase. I would have also traded in my 6000 Di Pro but I had thought it was not worth much so I did not take it with me. The dealer asked if it had the black box and I said yes so he told me that is also a desirable detector so this summer I may make the hour drive and trade that in for some accessories.

So if your DFX is in nice shape you may get a good bit knocked off the price of the new detector.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

I agree with the comment above that the VDI and depth info is not as accurate as it was on my DFX. I sold my DFX and got the V3 almost a year ago. I do miss my DFX.

Schrecky,

Its a hobby for most of us and the purpose of a hobby is to have fun. If you miss the DFX why not sell the V3 and get another DFX? I sold my MXT but if I found I liked it better than my V, I sure would be seeing my dealer quick. As I said earlier in the post the The V3i has addressed both of your concerns. We haven't seen many V3 owners wanting to go back to their DFX. Rob

I used the DFX and absolutely enjoyed that box to the fullest. Held on to it until 2 weeks ago(after having used the V3 for over a year and it was a machine that took me awhile to get good with.....I missed my XLT for a bit too.

Like many here, I've developed a good relationship with a lot of people in our hobby. My dealer has become a good friend who occasionally has me check out a machine to see how they are performing in the field with the new owner or just the machine itself. This usually turns into a hunt and mini class for both me and the individual or a hunt all by my lonesome. (Both only a good thing!)

When doing this, I get to meet people who are everything from a beginner to someone who shows up with every model of machine bristling from their rig like a porcupine! (This has been a blast to check stuff out and have mostly met some great people.) Within this last year I've seen lots of machines to say the least, and with only one exception, had machines tuned to an individual and the owner walking away doing very well and at least having a higher level of confidence to get the job done for themselves. In all these machines, only one had a bad coil and had it swapped out within 15 minutes. Checked out other top brands and never found a fundamental issue with those either.

My last two times out with folks have been with the most opposite types possible. The first gentleman had problem of not getting stability and depth. He was a bit of a difficult person to teach as he had some "original" bad concepts of how a metal detector works. It was one heck of a lot of work, to even get started with showing him, so I just said "Give me thing." and did a solid programming for coin/jewelry with 4 tones, VCO and fast recovery. I began doing a jewelry only hunt and he gravitated to primarily coin. He found nickels like nobody's business and lots of deep clad. I found masses of "good" aluminum. Towards the end of our time, he came back to the "learning table" and wanted to know what I'd adjusted. Told him. He understood it all and adjusted it to even better settings for what he wanted to do. (Felt good for me!)

Other guy is a carpenter who was way mechanically inclined. Completely new to detecting and only gave him a "crash" explanation (two weeks ago) over the top of his table saw.Yesterday he walks in to my work holding an 1884-0 Silver Dollar he'd found!
It was my lunch time so him and I went to a place to eat and talked detecting and adjustments. He didn't know much about detecting but he knew how to build stuff and had "built" programs like crazy. Found one that worked fine and was kicking butt in an old (forgotten) country club! Told him what to think about when adjusting with recovery,filters and the RX/Disc. balance thing. (His initial "problem" wasn't depth but stability and suspected the coil due to internet postings!) Before we got up from lunch, he'd already worked up a good program for what he wanted to achieve and I have no doubt he'll do well. (I was tempted to ask him if I could go along next time, but decided not to ask. (He earned his "own" glory hunt for sure!) I hope later he'll be up for a hunting partner on this site!

My experience has been that not many machines have an issue and internet postings are not at all what realities are. Don't get into a "nervous ninny" mode and not buy this machine. It truly rocks!!!! Scott

I buy a detector as a way to maximize my detecting experience. I do occasionally buy metal detectors as investments, but never new ones. In fact I am buying an XLT tomorrow that I plan on using for a while, and then I will "flip" it for a profit.

I would never buy a new one while thinking about the resale value.

Rob, My friend likes that MXT too. I like my V3 .We all gotta like something so be happy.Dig much treasure. Yazoo

Mike he got it yesterday, I really hope it works for Norm. Lets all be happy. Just watch out for him if he learns that detector. It sure was good to me. Rob