Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFX300 setting help

miller0217

I recently got a DFX. I am a retired LEO. My agency has reached out to help find a 9mm bullet in a criminal case. The bullet fell out of the suspects clothing as he ran from the scene. (so its not deep, if not laying in the grass). I will need to cover an approx 3,000 square foot area of a front yard. I already have the area gridded off. Im using an Eclipse DD coil to cover as much ground as possible but I also have a 5.3 coil if that would be better. The bullet has been laying on the ground a little less than a year and is believed to be jacketed but not sure. With that being said here is my questions.
**which coil should i use.
**What pre set program should i use?
** What adjustment should I make since the target is so shallow?
Thanks for any help.

coin jewelry should be fine. bullets have copper, so when you finally go over it you will definitly hear it. standard coil should be fine, but if you have a bigfoot coil you may cover the area faster. make sure you wear surgical gloves so your prints dont end up on the item. been a long time since ive owned a dfx, but you should have no issues

I would suggest the coin and jewelry mode also or just coin mode. Should be fine in factory settings. The 5.3 coil should be fine also. I love the tone ID.
I suspect the 9mm should read about 50 on the target ID although I don't have one to compare.

I recently got a DFX. I am a retired LEO. My agency has reached out to help find a 9mm bullet in a criminal case. The bullet fell out of the suspects clothing as he ran from the scene. (so its not deep, if not laying in the grass). I will need to cover an approx 3,000 square foot area of a front yard. I already have the area gridded off. Im using an Eclipse DD coil to cover as much ground as possible but I also have a 5.3 coil if that would be better. The bullet has been laying on the ground a little less than a year and is believed to be jacketed but not sure. With that being said here is my questions.
**which coil should i use.
**What pre set program should i use?
** What adjustment should I make since the target is so shallow?
Thanks for any help.

You want to cover as much area as you can so a larger coil should be used.

The program should not matter, just make sure whatever you use will accept the target. If you have a sample of what you are looking for, you can discriminate out targets below and above the target range. I would suggest 10 VDI above and 10 VDI below what the bullet will come in as your target range. For instance, if the bullet will ID at 50, you should accept +40 to +60 and reject all other VDI numbers.

For shallow targets, you should hold your coil higher above the ground to eliminate deeper targets.

Your DFX has the ability to learn a specific target and reject the rest with the"Learn Accept/Reject" feature in Discrimination settings. For example it could learn a 9mm bullet with the jacket and one without by using your samples. This could help with your search in unfavorable site conditions, its worked for me in the past.