Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Difference between a gold ring and a pull tab using polar plot!!

rsarge1

I think I've found a way to tell the difference between a gold ring and a pull tab using the polar plot screen to analize with on the v3i. see attached screen shots of the polar plot, one pic is for the gold ring the second is for the pull tab notice the difference between the lines when it is a ring the lines are tight almost lined up but when it is a pull tab see how the lines are seperated far apart, I've tried this with 2 different rings with the same results, if I'm correct this will stop a lot of digging pull tabs LOL. the only problem is it does not work for can slaw or foil only pull tabs.

sarge

Well that is great work rsarge1. Could you tell us please if you found the ring in the ground and what depth was? did you make any tests in the ground? That is still a good work anyway.

only used one pull tab and all was air tests there needs to be more testing and it's not perfect but at least it's a start

The problem lies in the fact that gold rings vary so much with the alloys (18kt, 14kt, 12kt, 10kt, etc.) and the difference in size/thickness of rings. The same problem would occur with pulltabs. Size and shape plus varying alloys will give you different VDI's. That's why you have to dig a lot of pulltabs to get the rings.

Experimenting is great and that is how all of us have learned. But I don't think it works. We have done this experiment in the past. Here's what happens. All the guys sent in photos of polar plots for tabs and rings and sorry to say we guessed as many wrong as we did right. The same test was done with the sizing screen, same poor results. Again it was based on spacing of lines.

Use what works best for you Sarge but rings with a stone mount will sound and ID as a trashy target in many cases. I don't put a lot of faith in the polar plot myself.

ok well I thought I found something good LOL I wasn't aware that this was hashed out already oh well, when I tried it I got the same results every time and looked promising

If it works for you go for it.

Schultzie said:
The problem lies in the fact that gold rings vary so much with the alloys (18kt, 14kt, 12kt, 10kt, etc.) and the difference in size/thickness of rings. The same problem would occur with pulltabs. Size and shape plus varying alloys will give you different VDI's. That's why you have to dig a lot of pulltabs to get the rings.
it

You are right about that! The other thing to consider is the ground. It can play tricks on your readings. I have experimented a great deal with this feature. I too have had very good luck with it but it is not fool proof. I do weed out alot of trash with it. I have proven it to myself many, many times in the field. What Larry and Rob is saying is true...in their soil and/or conditions. I use the older analyze "wave" screen....seems to give me more of what I want but as they said, whatever works better for you.

In trashy conditions....I wouldnt trade v3i for anything.

Keep in mind that there will be an intersecting point for a particular VDI in each frequency where the numbers converge, depending on the dominant frequency. In other words, the ring has a VDI of 7, or very close to it, in each of the V3i's "raw" frequencies. As the VDI number goes up, there is a larger spread in the VDI numbers of each frequency. To visualize it, I've attached a few screen shots of the graph and the chart that I made that has VDI numbers for nearly 50 different targets in each of the 7 different frequency options available on the V3i. (Yes, there are 7 different frequency display options!) The charts can be downloaded from my site. I made this section members-only to protect some of the info, but membership is free.

And don't forget about The Larger Rings that fall in or around zinc range .....you gotta dig your zinc's along with your pull tabs to find ALL the Rings.

My biggest ring was a 10k with a zinc reading.

It's not happening. I'm sorry but it won't work.