Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Difference between iron false and co-located signals?

Geologyhound

I was hunting at a site yesterday. Interference from the neighboring cell tower was much better than last week. I was hunting a slightly different area with fewer targets, so I could run my D2 flat out. Modified fast, sensitivity Max, reactivity zero.

I hit several good signals – at least for about 2/3 of the swing angles. The other third of the arc gave me iron tones. Every one I dug was a crusty old iron nail, or part of a nail. Note that I was only digging these signals if they were small. The large ones with iron tones with a small good tone on the end I passed over. I checked the holes again after recovering each nail and there was nothing left - not even in pinpoint mode. The MI6 also couldn’t find anything else in the hole or plug. These were not even that deep - generally 6 inches or less.

For these small targets, how do you tell the difference between true iron false and a good target co-located with iron?

I was hunting at a site yesterday. Interference from the neighboring cell tower was much better than last week. I was hunting a slightly different area with fewer targets, so I could run my D2 flat out. Modified fast, sensitivity Max, reactivity zero.

I hit several good signals – at least for about 2/3 of the swing angles. The other third of the arc gave me iron tones. Every one I dug was a crusty old iron nail, or part of a nail. Note that I was only digging these signals if they were small. The large ones with iron tones with a small good tone on the end I passed over. I checked the holes again after recovering each nail and there was nothing left - not even in pinpoint mode. The MI6 also couldn’t find anything else in the hole or plug. These were not even that deep - generally 6 inches or less.

For these small targets, how do you tell the difference between true iron false and a good target co-located with iron?
I think maxing out the sensitivity is blowing out your audio (smearing the audio response). I rarely run the sensitivity above 95. Lowering audio response will give you greater depth. Higher audio response lets you unmask targets better. I would try to keep it at 2. You are trying to have the ability to have a repeatable signal then at 90 degrees the signal is still there. You have to work the target a little.If it won’t repeat move on to the next target. Give that a try , overdriving the detector can result in falsing. Try that , I am interested in your findings. Also more info from your other settings would be helpful. Please report back. HH Tony Ps ,gotta go , have a location to detect. 🇺🇸😃🇺🇸

I think maxing out the sensitivity is blowing out your audio (smearing the audio response). I rarely run the sensitivity above 95. Lowering audio response will give you greater depth. Higher audio response lets you unmask targets better. I would try to keep it at 2. You are trying to have the ability to have a repeatable signal then at 90 degrees the signal is still there. You have to work the target a little.If it won’t repeat move on to the next target. Give that a try , overdriving the detector can result in falsing. Try that , I am interested in your findings. Also more info from your other settings would be helpful. Please report back. HH Tony Ps ,gotta go , have a location to detect. 🇺🇸😃🇺🇸
I think you meant Reactivity instead of Audio Response Tony. And yes, I have found that even with co-located targets I can most of the time get a good response at a couple of angles, no matter where those angles start. If I get 30-45 degrees of NOTHING…I have found iron. Make sure to use pinpoint mode to make sure the pinpoint indication is actually in the same spot as where your high tones are coming from. As Tony said (or meant to say)…Reactivity of 2 is all the higher I personally go because over that my depth begins to really suffer in my sites. I typically run it at 1 and STILL find many coins mixed with nails,etc. Am I finding EVERYTHING? Probably not but it’s a good fit for now. Too much sensitivity in the wrong soil with certain iron can definitely “light up” the wrong things. Remember…turning up your sensitivity progressively lets smaller and smaller signals into the audio circuit, and can make iron sound better than it should in some situations.

I think you meant Reactivity instead of Audio Response Tony. And yes, I have found that even with co-located targets I can most of the time get a good response at a couple of angles, no matter where those angles start. If I get 30-45 degrees of NOTHING…I have found iron. Make sure to use pinpoint mode to make sure the pinpoint indication is actually in the same spot as where your high tones are coming from. As Tony said (or meant to say)…Reactivity of 2 is all the higher I personally go because over that my depth begins to really suffer in my sites. I typically run it at 1 and STILL find many coins mixed with nails,etc. Am I finding EVERYTHING? Probably not but it’s a good fit for now. Too much sensitivity in the wrong soil with certain iron can definitely “light up” the wrong things. Remember…turning up your sensitivity progressively lets smaller and smaller signals into the audio circuit, and can make iron sound better than it should in some situations.
I will try move the reactivity down to 1 then if I can get a little more depth. All in all this XP WS6 master is really bringing out some nice finds . I still learn something every time I take it out . It gives you the ability to really fine tune for optimal performance.

Yep and I don't like full tones it blends the tones too much to me.
Mark

What program and audio do you like ??? To me the full tones lets me hear the buzz that may be present if iron is close by.
I made one off general Matt from gone digging has it on YouTube very deep and works great 5 tones never liked full especially on the beach .

Single freq is your friend in high iron. So with that being said.....I would run deus mono with a kHz in the 30khz range.

From my experience.....that seems to work pretty good.

The iron falsing comes from the edge of the coil coming close to iron using multi freq.

I was also running iron volume four, B caps five, and silencer two, square, pitch. The nails I was catching were in the medium range (around 4 to 6 inches).

I have only had my D2 for about a month. Still climbing my way up the learning curve - low gear... I may just have to take one of those nails I recovered, drop it in a hole and stick a coin close to it and see what happens.

This particular area wasn’t high iron. But I have another site with nail beds from multiple Civil War era buildings. I’ll have to try single frequency there.

So far, I have experimented back-and-forth with square versus PWM. Even with nails and can slaw, I can’t discern a difference in tone with PWM from different approach directions. So for now, I’ve been sticking with square pitch trying to build experience and trust.

i disagree, I have found that multi- freq is much better in higher iron and since the intro of the NOX 800 my good finds at sites hunted with single freq - machines and super HIGH iron. (1700's house burned and was knocked over, a 2 story house large for late 1700's. I am in the Hudson Valley NY area lots of old here)

Could you please inform me to your reasoning behind using singe freq when you bought a machine that is Multi-freq? You would think there would be a benefit to running multi

The single frequency intrigues me as well but more as to why such a high frequency as 30khz and not more in the 10-20 khz.
I would think your depth would suffer and better to just adjust your reactivity down.
Which brings up another question that lately have noticed many will run reactivity down to 2 at the highest with programs starting at around 2.5 to 3.
Are these areas very clean where people are running reactivity low 1-2? And what is the main reason for running it low, is it for depth because I would think again better to run a lower frequency than run the reactivity really low.
A high frequency and low reactivity is a recipe for missing many targets imo

because the processing speed of the Deus 2 is a lot faster then most machines or machines people have used in the past, a reactivity of over 2.5 is not really needed even in iron trash old home sites. I have tried all combos for high iron sites and usinf 2 or 2.5 is just fine.