Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Differences between 9 and 12 volt option??

beendiggin

I used to go detecting a lot when I was a kid with my brother. He knew detecting, and I tagged along. Well, I just bought my first detector. It's a Whites Coinmaster 6000-d. I know it's old, and somewhat obsolete, but hey it was $75. with a case and parts. The only thing is it has no batteries. I know there are rechargeable battery packs available on the Whites website, but my question to you is this: What is the difference between the 9 volt and the 12 volt option? I assume 12 volt is better. Am I wrong? Also, why is there a choice? Is there some type of detecting that works better in 9 volt mode? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks !

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 6000 takes one battery pack of each.

You are correct, Larry. I have an old 6000 and it takes one 9v and one 12v battery pack of AA batteries. Great machine and I still enjoy taking mine for a "walk" from time to time. Love the audio on those old White"s.

Might be wrong but doesn't one run the audio and the other the detection? One drains more power than other. That happens with the Prizms. One 9 v will be flatter than the other after a couple of goes out. Good to swap the 9v's battery positions after a couple of outings on the Prizms. Evens up the drain and gets a bit more running time out of them.

I don't know about the 6000, but that is a great idea on the Prizm batteries B.T..............:thumbup:

Don't want to sideline the thread but older machines can be great. Those "Blue Box" machines found a lot of good stuff and nothing is keeping them from doing the same thing today.
Right now I'm suffering from "gifter's remorse". One of my best friends sons just had his 15th birthday and I'd been planning on giving him a detector for it. Well... was caught short and spur of the moment, decided to give him my Classic III Plus.
This young man has been using my detectors occasionally and took to it all real well so getting him up and going was important. I want it back!!!! (Something about the sound of that box I really loved.) Soon as I come across another good used machine...gonna be doin' some tradin'!