Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

different Deus use

pasttom

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I set the Deus on a wood bench and sweep my encrusted beach pennies over the coil to see if I have a pre or post '82 inside. The last batch showed a couple clad dimes, a Russian 5 kopek and a dog tag hiding among the cents. I get dozens of crusties out of the surf with my Excal and don't take the time to examine them. I later sit at home and go thru them leisurely with the Deus. You really can see how much variation there is as the zincs run from mid 70s to low 30s depending on how much they have deteriorated.

Good post--Like others have mentioned, especially CZ, I notice a significant variation in wheat penny signals too....although not as significant as 30-70 VDI in your zinc analysis, but significant enough to warrant digging when in doubt. Thanks Pastor.

Seen it many times myself - the target I.D numbers on corroded Zinc cents will come in all over the place on any type of machine.

Indians and early Wheat cents can VDI within a wide range - just last night while hunting in 4 khz, I was finding freshly dropped zincolns that IDed around 61-63 almost every time, but then I came across a couple moth-eaten zinc cents that IDed around 53-57ish.

Went on to get a solid "55" still in 4 kHz, and from 3" out pops a crusty Indian cent. A few feet away I got a surface hit of "61-62" which was a shallow 1917 D Wheat cent. The 1940s and 1950s wheat cents usually ID from 67-73, copper Memorials will hit 70-73 almost every time. I think it has something to do with the surface condition of the coin, since that Indian last night was super-crusty and rang in below a zinc cent...you just never know!