Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dig all targets?

brocantes

These people that dig all targets but those that they think are iron must have some really clean places to hunt. I'.d have truckload of aluminum if I did that! I depend on the signagraph to confirm vdi's.

Your not alone .Many of us rely to a degree on the VDI numbers. Do we miss some targets ?..."SURE"..but we seem to get the majority with discrimination of one kind or another.

I only have so many ups and downs lately.......... so I switched to the V3i for some reliable target Id, and decent depth.

I dig alot of trash but find alot of gold rings 13 now in 3 months not to mention $100's in clad in that time frame as well. I personally would rather dig a target quickly and move to the nexr rather than ponder over digging what a machine says a target "MIGHT" be , when I dig it all I am 100% certain what the target is and waste no time analyzing if I should dig or not. I also dont care to help cleanup the world as I go as it does zero harm and even a little bit helps.

I understand some of the others with health issues may be discouraged but as a young healthy man, Im going to enjoy the extra exercise for now :

VID's are fun but I personally got frustrated more questioning if I should dig or not, but to each his own. I trust my ears.

I'm in Deliveryboys camp on this one...if a fellow is fast on retrieval and relatively spry its no big deal..If I'm just clad grabbing in the trash I generally dont dig them all...so I guess it just depends on the day and the feel of an area whether I dig it all or snipe targets... I do notice that the "dig it allers" find a lot of gold!:thumbup:
Mud

VDI numbers are only a guide and not very accurate in some soil. Just this morning I dug a penny that read 14 VDI. That's not even close. I have dug gold from 0 VDI to 75VDI. The detector doesn't know the difference.
It is far faster to dig a plug and know you are not missing anything. When it gets too tiring to dig a plug, find a tot lot.
You'll find many more value targets that way.

I prefer the signagraph over the VDI display on the DFX. I still don't think I will be digging all signals that are not iron (in most areas that I hunt). It just wouldn't be fun anymore!

I am an old goose. I go slow. It takes me a long time to hunt a spot. I DIG IT ALL. I have the gold to prove it. Got a truck load of junk too. I just don't get in a hurry. I want to enjoy MY hobby. I don't like screens or something that plays a lot of music. I use my COMPADRE... KEN

I think digging it all is great in areas that the likelhood of jewelry is fairly good or better, but use some disc in trash where you may dig and dig before hitting a good target.
BB

I dig it all in most places that I detect and I have found that Tesoro detectors excel at that type hunting. They're light, fast and quick to pinpoint.

Also they discriminate extremely well and are not affected as much by EMI like some other detectors.

If you're looking for gold jewelry or masked silver coins that others have passed over, grab a Tesoro.:thumbup:

Now if you don't like digging it all with a Tesoro detector, just turn up the discrimination knob and dig the high conductive coins. It's that easy.

People who have the multi-tone or VDI detectors do basically the same thing by just digging the high tones or high VDI numbers.

tabman

I've followed Tom on this subject for a while now and I think he's pretty well right on. Location and condition of the area has a lot to do with whether one wants to dig all ( or most) or not.
BB

BarberBill said:
I've followed Tom on this subject for a while now and I think he's pretty well right on. Location and condition of the area has a lot to do with whether one wants to dig all ( or most) or not.
BB

Yep, location plays a big role. Also how well you feel that day. I usually start out the day digging like a Banshee Indian, but I sometimes slide and start cherry picking.:)

tabman

True story of the "dig all lest you miss a gold ring" mindset:

There was a certain fellow in my part of my state, who I was corresponding with about some new metal detector technology. A machine which had just been introduced to the market. The two of us wanted to put it through its paces, and compare to our current machines.

We agreed to meet up in a distant city, at a particular old park which .... over the years, has given up thousands of silver coins. It's an immense park, in a big city, covering dozens of city blocks, that dates back to the 1870s.

The idea was, that we would flag and compare signals, then post our opinions for our fellow md'rs to read and comment on.

This fellow was one of the types of md'rs who "bristles" at the thought of cherry picking or passing tabs, foil, clad, etc... Afterall he reasoned, "you might miss a gold ring". Or to pass all shallow signals, because ... "sometimes an old coin is shallow", or " afterall, the clad adds up over time". When he learned that I was angling only for oldies/deepies (and favoring high conductors at that!), he bristled at how ill-advised this is. In his mind's eye, his tactic of "digging all" (except iron, of course) would give him the "best of both worlds". In other words, by "digging all", he reasoned that he would not only have any gold rings that were in this park turf, but ALSO the deepies at the same time. At first glance, this sounds reasonable. Afterall, if you're "digging all", then you would *think* that logically, you have both the shallows, and the deepies, and the nickels, etc... right?

But in actual practice, it doesn't work out like that, IMHO (for junky urban turf). By the end of the day, he did indeed have a dateless V nickel. He also had a wheatie or two, and a lot of clad. And he had copious amounts of tabs, corroded zinc, etc... Contrast to my tactic of passing shallow stuff, and (gasp) passing lower conductors, I had several silvers, a dozen or so wheaties, etc... The fellow couldn't understand why he didn't have the "best of both worlds", so he wrote it off to non-familiarity with this new machine we were there to test, etc...

But I believe it works like this: When you set out to dig every single beep in a junky park like that, after the first 5 minutes, your ears become subconsciously trained/tuned to the loud "bongs" of the shallow stuff. Rather than the deep whispers which tend to be the older stuff. And by digging all the foil and tabs (even though only taking a minute or two each), he had spent most of his time on his knees digging all those targets, rather than having that time be spent on the signals which are most inclined to be old coins. So perhaps he had 10x the amount of targets I did (since I was being selective on what I would chase). And I had almost no clad (since I refused to dig anything less than 6" deep).

Yes it's true that this fellow would eventually no doubt find a gold ring, that the "selective" person would miss. Granted. But if gold rings are my goal, then I do not go to junky blighted tab/foil ridden parks to begin with. I would simply go to the beach. And if angling for oldies in junky urban park turf is my goal, then .... there are times when your time is better spent being a little selective.

I'm still in theory in a new style of hunting for me. I bought a used Tesoro Tejon with the idea of hunting for jewelry, and coins that come along with them. Now, the idea I have is to dig all "GOOD" signals above small iron. My big problem right now is I can't get out and hunt very often and I'm still learning the detector.
But, I'm starting to see a trend with this detector in that a good target seem to react better, yes, it will hit on can slaw, but it has a quirky way about pinpointing it, it might hit on a rusty bottle but its cracks and pops swinging across it, while at the same time coins hit solid and so does pull tabs and until I find a real ring with it I'm assuming they will hit good as well.
Now, in this theory of operation I have realized that pull tabs has to be considered a good target even though its not a keeper and so does targets like lead bullets and wheel weights, and brass shell casings. But if this works out at all then at lest I may not have to dig "Every Target" above small iron.

As for gold jewelry and beach hunting, the nearest beach for me would be several hundred miles away. So, my best shot of gold is either parks, or ball fields.
My background of being a coin shooter makes it hard for me to dig a pull tab, so I never found very many nickels either, nor EVER any gold! so by experience I know that coin shooting is pretty easy with a good metered detector and I also know that finding the gold outside of beach hunting takes detecting to a different level. I can wade through a LARGE ball field and pick up fresh dropped coins without to much trouble, but to go through that same field and get the gold is a different story! so, yep, I can spend the day picking up $8.00 in clad with my thousands of dollars in equipment but, I left the gold behind me.

So, I'm thinking for me that what I want to do is to spend part of my time looking for jewelry and then part of my time coin shooting, or one place for coins and another place for jewelry.
I have also figured out for me that if I'm carrying a metered unit I will most likely end up coin shooting, its what they do and its what I tend to do, so for me to ever get any jewelry I'm going to probably have to carry a beep & dig that's known to be hot on gold. and not just wonder around over some vast area but rather stake out a smaller section and work it.

Mark

Mark, when you say you're "several hundred miles away" from the beach, I think you're under the impression that "beach" necessarily means Ocean beaches. Not so. Lake beaches (and swimming creeks with popular dip spots), still qualify as "beaches".

Certainly you're not "several hundred miles away" from the nearest lake, are you? Heck, even the remotest parts of the desert aren't THAT far away from some body of whatever where people swim & sunbathe.

But if it's true that every body of water in your area of the USA is a mud-hole that no one ever swims or recreates on, then a close-second is sand volleyball pits. or sand athletic training of some sort (wrestle pits, PT courses, etc...) where some sort of frolicking/rolling motions are encountered. And if none of them, then even the types of turf vary: Avoid "picnic" turf (d/t that simply means eat and drink and BBQ, which all inherently = foil, tabs and slaw). Instead look for certain types of turf where it's strictly athletic (with no double-usage for eating/picnicking of any sort). Ie.: soccer or baseball or football fields that don't double for anything else. Another type turf to look for is turf directly adjoining swimming pools (if there were such a thing), d/t people that get ready for a swim, often take off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before they enter the pool (and then hide it in their towel or shoe, etc...

Tom_in_CA said:
Mark, when you say you're "several hundred miles away" from the beach, I think you're under the impression that "beach" necessarily means Ocean beaches. Not so. Lake beaches (and swimming creeks with popular dip spots), still qualify as "beaches".

Certainly you're not "several hundred miles away" from the nearest lake, are you? Heck, even the remotest parts of the desert aren't THAT far away from some body of whatever where people swim & sunbathe.

But if it's true that every body of water in your area of the USA is a mud-hole that no one ever swims or recreates on, then a close-second is sand volleyball pits. or sand athletic training of some sort (wrestle pits, PT courses, etc...) where some sort of frolicking/rolling motions are encountered. And if none of them, then even the types of turf vary: Avoid "picnic" turf (d/t that simply means eat and drink and BBQ, which all inherently = foil, tabs and slaw). Instead look for certain types of turf where it's strictly athletic (with no double-usage for eating/picnicking of any sort). Ie.: soccer or baseball or football fields that don't double for anything else. Another type turf to look for is turf directly adjoining swimming pools (if there were such a thing), d/t people that get ready for a swim, often take off their jewelry for "safe-keeping" before they enter the pool (and then hide it in their towel or shoe, etc...
Well, I was thinking Ocean beaches LoL! they are some State Lakes that have swimming area's but "Metal Detecting" is prohibited in these areas.
The local city pool closed years ago. Only one other pool near by, but its all fenced and lock up when its closed for the season.
Then you have the Ohio River, but I don't know of any popular swimming areas along it.
Farm ponds, but even few of them.
And lots of creeks, but I don't know of any places in them that would be large enough to make a popular swimming hole out of.

I've got my eye out on some soccer fields this fall, but these contain lots of rubbish also because of all the concessions and the left overs.
They are some tot-lots around but most of them are fenced in, or to so privet play areas for daycare businesses.

Mark

Tom is absolutely spot on with this topic.

Hunting jewelry can be summarized in one sentence: Go to a site that has a very high potential for gold jewelry and dig most signals that correspond to the jewelry range.

The factors that play into "potential" are many and varied, and in this sense the theory is an oversimplification, but this is the key principle. Site selection and observation are of primary importance, not which metal detector you own.

For all the naysayers... There are features on some metal detectors that allow users to separate some trash from good targets. Whether separating that trash is worthwhile or not is certainly debatable. I would choose one of those machines over any other without those features for hunting jewelry, but still location is of primary importance and should dictate how many signals you are actually digging.

What state are you in? Who told you (or how do you know) that you can't detect the beaches of state park lakes there? Have you seen that specifically written somewhere as a rule? If so, do you have the link? thanx.

After 35+ yrs. of this, I would NOT want to ply the turf with the objective of "gold rings", unless it were very specific turf. Like when you mention the "concessions" at a soccer field, then .... right away that can spell bad junk ratios. I had in mind soccer fields that don't even have concessions there (yeah, those temporary trailored in concession stands that sell sodas (read "tabs") and snacks (read "foil"). Hopefully you can find one where any such concessions were in the stands, our out in the parking lot, NOT out on the edge of the grass.

Up till the mid 1970s, we didn't even have discrimination (well, at least I didn't have it yet, haha). So we would hunt school yards and yards of old homes, with no ability to tell any conductive metals apart (all we could do is reject nails). And in all those few years of hunting like that, I don't think I found but perhaps a single gold ring in turf. And this was without any ability to have known the difference. Sure though, we were hunting yards and elementary schools (and a high school now and then). So it wasn't exactly "strictly athletics". I do recall getting silver rings and silver St. Christophers. And I saw a few gold rings found by some fellow hunters in those days (class rings, etc....). But by -&-large, I'd say the ratio of aluminum to any gold ring we ever found, would have been punishingly insane.

So all you can do is find the right type of turf, or go to a swimming beach, to up your odds at gold (and lower your junk ratio). Another thing you can consider, once you get to where you're going to try, is "ring enhancement programs".However, based on your name (..."CZ"), I assume you're a CZ6 user? If so, then "ring enhancement programs" won't work (well, at least not too effectively). Because the CZ6 only has broad categories of TIDs (lumps lots of targets into only 6 or 7 choices of quadrants). But if you had a machine like various Whites, or an explorer, etc... you can start to reject "commonly recurring" junk items. You know, like tabs that tend to always read the same, etc.... However, if your turf zone has can slaw (cut up targets) , then you can kiss ring-enhancements goodbye too :(

ohmygato said:
....... not which metal detector you own..... .

Right! A lot of people ask "which detector is best for gold" (and certainly some will be able to get daintier low conductors, of course). But that is HARDLY the issue, when it comes to finding gold jewelry. Because let's face it: The parks and schools are already loaded with "low conductors". So lacking low conductors to choose from .... is hardly the problem, haha

I have to chuckle when this topic comes up: Someone will ask: "how can I find more gold rings?". And others will chime in saying: "lower your disc, and dig low conductors". And then pity the poor newbie who goes out and does JUST THAT! As if "dig low conductors till your arms fall off" is the secret recipe for finding gold. The reason that advice is mis-leading, is that it's already a GIVEN that gold jewelry is mostly low conductors. No one's disputing that. But that doesn't bode for the recipe of "how to find more gold". The key is WHERE you hunt. Not the machine you're using, or the settings you're using (assuming you're not cranking your disc. too high, once you get to the right type sites).

Tom_in_CA said:
What state are you in? Who told you (or how do you know) that you can't detect the beaches of state park lakes there? Have you seen that specifically written somewhere as a rule? If so, do you have the link? thanx.

After 35+ yrs. of this, I would NOT want to ply the turf with the objective of "gold rings", unless it were very specific turf. Like when you mention the "concessions" at a soccer field, then .... right away that can spell bad junk ratios. I had in mind soccer fields that don't even have concessions there (yeah, those temporary trailored in concession stands that sell sodas (read "tabs") and snacks (read "foil"). Hopefully you can find one where any such concessions were in the stands, our out in the parking lot, NOT out on the edge of the grass.

Up till the mid 1970s, we didn't even have discrimination (well, at least I didn't have it yet, haha). So we would hunt school yards and yards of old homes, with no ability to tell any conductive metals apart (all we could do is reject nails). And in all those few years of hunting like that, I don't think I found but perhaps a single gold ring in turf. And this was without any ability to have known the difference. Sure though, we were hunting yards and elementary schools (and a high school now and then). So it wasn't exactly "strictly athletics". I do recall getting silver rings and silver St. Christophers. And I saw a few gold rings found by some fellow hunters in those days (class rings, etc....). But by -&-large, I'd say the ratio of aluminum to any gold ring we ever found, would have been punishingly insane.

So all you can do is find the right type of turf, or go to a swimming beach, to up your odds at gold (and lower your junk ratio). Another thing you can consider, once you get to where you're going to try, is "ring enhancement programs".However, based on your name (..."CZ"), I assume you're a CZ6 user? If so, then "ring enhancement programs" won't work (well, at least not too effectively). Because the CZ6 only has broad categories of TIDs (lumps lots of targets into only 6 or 7 choices of quadrants). But if you had a machine like various Whites, or an explorer, etc... you can start to reject "commonly recurring" junk items. You know, like tabs that tend to always read the same, etc.... However, if your turf zone has can slaw (cut up targets) , then you can kiss ring-enhancements goodbye too :(
I live in West Virginia,
Got rid of the CZ a few years ago, (it was a CZ-7a-pro)
I now have a,
Omega,
A Coinstrike,
A Tejon,
A 1266, (this was given to me)
An ID-Edge,
Not to long ago I had,
A XLT,
A 5900 Pro/sl,
A Teknetics 8500
and the CZ,

City parks in our area are still open to detecting, but from all I can gather without actually going to the court house is the State Parks Are Off Limits!

Concessions,
All the ball fields around that I know of where they have season tournaments have block building concession stands, its a way to help raise money. Here they even have concession at the T-Ball fields. So, if a person can't deal with the trash then this area of West Virginia isn't a place to metal detect as a hobby.

The problem with jewelry programs is they tend to group most common gold items into two or three groups, or just spread it out over a certain area in one wide range.
In my history (sense 1980) I have tried every way I could to work around trash items, one being pull tabs. Doing so left somebody else the gold! the silver I got.
Coin Shooting machines that I've encountered always have target ID meters with a method of ID'in both common trash items and coins, the idea was of course leave the trash and grab the coins and nickels most always ended up as trash as well.

For me, to hunt for jewelry with a metered machine leads me to trying to work around the trash again and depending on the meter. So, If I was going to hunt for jewelry and not dig tabs then I'm really not hunting for jewelry.

I would like to have a way to find out Most Gold Jewelry found in which forum on this site, which one would it be?
Then it would be nice to know, found by a Beep & Dig, or a metered unit?
I'm pretty curtained that it would be a beep and dig for the unit (That's my guess anyway)

For me and the area around me finding a place that has Little to No aluminum trash, but has or had enough people visit it that would have left any jewelry only happens in dreams when I lay down at night and go to sleep.
Now days people load their four wheelers up with coolers and Barbeque grills and trash up the woods! if humans has visited the area anytime sense 1965 (that's when the beaver tail Pull & Toss tabs came to be) tabs and other like trash came with them in MUCH greater numbers then jewelry or even coins.

Now in our large city park and away from the eating areas people group up for a lot of just fun sports, Frisbee, football, soccer, etc..... and do so pretty much all summer. This is where I thought my best chance of some good jewelry might be, the problem is its a VAST area of over a hundred acres!.
The next best place I found that I thought for sure would turn up a piece of jewelry was a small baseball field, here I have found a bunch of coins for it to be so small, so I concluded that nobody could have hunted it for anything because of the amount of clad that was there. So, I went back with the idea of jewelry hunting it, I've tried it three times so far but no luck yet, and to note, no more coins either. So, the metered detectors I've used there did get pretty much all of the coins. My Whites 5900/Pro-sl cleaned up on the nickels I had left with my other machines, the coins dried up after that.

Even my older brother is about to give up on places to productively hunt around here, so it may be getting to where its time to just give it up, silver coins are getting very few and very far between, jewelry is out there, but here its bags of tabs, sags of tabs to one possible decent ring or other gold jewelry.
I've got it figured like this, if I can't turn up something in the line of a good piece of good jewelry with the Tesoro Tejon, then I'm not going to do it with $2,000.00 or even a $3,000.00 unit. you just can't VID a piece of gold! its to all over the place. A tiny ladies gold ring can be in the top of the foils range, a smaller mans gold ring may make the upper nickel range, a larger class ring many times hits the zinc penny range. So, I can't see how a metered machine could be an advantage to finding gold over a good beep & dig, seeing how gold can't be assigned a target ID number, now I'm not saying that you can't find jewelry with a metered unit, I'm just saying I don't see the cost factor of that technology being much help to find gold jewelry, maybe I'm wrong, will see.

One thing I am convinced of that if I want to pick up coins after a fair, I don't want to use a beep & dig ANYTHING to do it, I wouldn't even try it! give me a good metered detector and I'm good to go, or actually to just coin hunt anywhere.

Mark