Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

dig or not dig that's is the question!

tumbleinn

Hello I been using the etrac for a few weeks now. I have done over drive learning with this detector. I have found silver coins and jewelry. Here is my question?
I'm hitting deep targets about 8 to 10 inches and its not always a 12 ferrous number it might be a 14 or 15, 17 etc and my conductive number is 37 ,39 or say 44 And I still dig and its a coin wheat penny etc. Here's my question does silver dime's and quarter's also hit when the ferrous number 12 is not showing & the conductive number is correct on real deep targets. like has any one hit a 13-47 and dug a deep silver quarter like 10 inches down. Is this common or not.
Please Advise!
Thanks

yes the FE can be off due to soil, depth, other targets in the area,,,,, if it's close and a good CO number with a repeatable tone,,,,, DIG IT !!!

Same as grouser said, those numbers can change due to depth or ground type. I always check a target like that in quick mask with an open screen and if the numbers stay down in the coin and that sweet high tone is there I dig. I have dug some coins with FE numbers in the low 20's.

Damar2003 said:
Same as grouser said, those numbers can change due to depth or ground type. I always check a target like that in quick mask with an open screen and if the numbers stay down in the coin and that sweet high tone is there I dig. I have dug some coins with FE numbers in the low 20's.

What would be the lowest CO number grabbing your attention if you are concentrating on finding silver coins ?

I have dug a merc ringing in with a CO number of 38. It was well worn which is probably the reason it rang in so low. If it's a good signal dig it, you never know.

I have dug a silver dime at 39 CO number. The sound starts to play a bigger part than the numbers that we don't consider "perfect FE & CO numbers". These are just my experiences so far with the e-trac as I only have 3 months on it, but I have found 6 times the silver with it compared to last year, with some of it coming from sites that I pounded with the ace 350 and teknetics omega.

Thanks a million guys. I am new to the E-trac and so far have dug a barber dime @1 inch in some tore up ground at a ball field and one war nickel @ 6 inches. Other finds include a few wheats and misc. clad. Just not hitting the deep silver and think I may not be interpreting the "iffy" signals properly.
Slowly learning the machine but the falsing on nails is a little tiresome. Getting alot of sweet sounding signals right after the null which slow me down as I have to check each one out from different angles to be sure before moving on. I believe we used to call this "overshoot". Is it normal to be getting nice 12-40 something false readings after the null on these nails? Is there any setting to alleviate this problem or is it just the nature of the beast? Thanks again for the help.

I believe it can false at the end of a larger nail, and swing speed can cause a false signal. I always check in wide open quick mask sceen. Also if it is alot of iron and you have constant nulling I now use the Two tone ferrous which I have used 3 times and have pulled coins from tough ground that i had a hard time hunting in conductive tones. The deeper silver will come, but I think everybody has a different meaning of what is deep. I dig deeper coins now, but The deepest i have dug with the e-trac is 9 inches. I would say an average deep coin for me is the 6-8 inch range, which I never got too often with my other machines. Alot of guys say they get them at 10 -12 inches , I just have not done that yet.

numbers can be ALL over the place, tone is the key!

today for example I dug a V nickel, numbers were bouncing all over but I kept seeing 01-09...01-11.....nowhere near the 12 line. It was a V nickel at 3-4" deep

later on in the day I had a deep 8-9" signal 01-39...01-41...I thought it was gonna be a wheat, NOPE it was a silver barber dime. Depth can skew numbers as well, once again the sound is what told me to dig

Good Luck Tumbeinn! It was fun to watch you dig a Roosie at about 12". Really fun to watch you having to learn to dig DEEPER now that you are swinging a Minelab!
We will hunt again soon!
Mark

Goes4ever said:
numbers can be ALL over the place, tone is the key!

:biggrin:

got a big silver last time out could just hear its little squeak through the trash surrounding it if i was looking numbers it would still be there.

BP