Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging Question

mick

I have a sand scoop that works great at the beach. Much of the surrounding beaches and bay have some great looking grassy parks. There's always a lot of partying and drinking and hopefully people falling down and losing their valuables in the grass. What tool do you use to dig targets in the grass? I thought about a large hunting type knife but walking around a southern california beach with a large knife strapped to your side is just inviting a conversation with the police. So, what do you use and how do you use it? Do you remove the top layer of sod and then dig the target and replace the sod after your finished?

thanks in advance

mick

I use a knife like tool called leatch, I am sure I misspelled that. They are sold on ebay. They come with a sheath. And are not sharp or have a dangerous point. It also has stamped into the metal digging tool, to ensure any officer it is not a dangerous weapon. One side has sawlike teeth for cutting roots. As far as digging grass. Fine the target area, cut a horse shoe shape or a U shape. Pull the flap of grass up, and gid for the item. This method of leaving part of the grass surface intact, will ensure the grass to grow . If you were to cut a circle of grass out and place it back, it woud die. It looks bad when you see areas that have dead grass spots from people who just rip the grass up and place it back only to dry up in the sun. The method of leaving part of the grass intact is much better, and gives the grass a better chance of growing. Their is another tool called a gater that is popual as well.

Thank you. That sounds perfect. I like the horseshoe tip. The police here are pretty reasonable. If you treat them with respect. you get the same in return. Something that looks like a tool sounds like a better idea. I'll check it out.

mick

Mick, There are (2) very popular metal detecting digging tools that are identical in design, and they have same warranty. they are the PREDATOR DIGGER
and the LESCHE DIGGER, and I believe they sell for the same price, and PREDATOR TOOLS is a forum sponsor. Hope this helps, Les Robinson