Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging up some family history

Simpsonslammer

I was able to hunt a feild site where my great-great grand parents home steaded a farm when they came from Ireland in the 1880's. The farm was passed down to my great uncle in the 20's. Then to my dads cousin. The bulings were razed in the 70's and now farmed by a distant cousin. Only one coin, 1864 Indian, non fatty and appears to have the L. A Jap Rose soap token, pocket watch, pocket knife, J.I. Case plow fob, Lee overalls buttons and suspender clips.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-151453~2.png
    Screenshot_20201007-151453~2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
  • 20201007_150608_HDR~2.jpg
    20201007_150608_HDR~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • 20201007_150723~2.jpg
    20201007_150723~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 20201007_150746~2.jpg
    20201007_150746~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
I know that feeling..... hoping to get to the Iowa farm my Dad grew up on next summer. Maybe I can find just one coin that he might have held when he was a young man (1920-36). Puts a little perspective back in ones family background and times. So cool you could do that!

I was able to hunt a feild site where my great-great grand parents home steaded a farm when they came from Ireland in the 1880's. The farm was passed down to my great uncle in the 20's. Then to my dads cousin. The bulings were razed in the 70's and now farmed by a distant cousin. Only one coin, 1864 Indian, non fatty and appears to have the L. A Jap Rose soap token, pocket watch, pocket knife, J.I. Case plow fob, Lee overalls buttons and suspender clips.
Great to find family history anytime.

CARVER

Nice! I have been hitting family sites for several years, lots of fun doing the research, getting permission, and digging the goodies! My imagination can run with thoughts of who might have used or touched the recovered relics.
HH Jeff

I know that feeling..... hoping to get to the Iowa farm my Dad grew up on next summer. Maybe I can find just one coin that he might have held when he was a young man (1920-36). Puts a little perspective back in ones family background and times. So cool you could do that!
Iowa diggin baby, it gets no better. I have been lucky enough to recover a silver plated horse bridle piece that my grandma could remember from my Uncle August’ show horses. Mostly just all their trash otherwise!!
What part of the state did he grow up in?

Rockford snd Charles City. I still have cousins in DesMoines area......

Very cool. I was born and raised in the infamous keokuk. Did a stint in Cedar Rapids and was flooded out in 08! All my family is in Lee and Cedar counties. Iowa’s farmland is mostly undug. There is SO much opportunity there. Good people in the country too. I’ll pass on the cities.
I’m right close to cedar rapids! Yeah my friend and I discovered 2 old homesites on his farm and with a 90$ metal detector he found a rare key date 1821 8 Reales mexican revolution coin. And we still haven’t finished digging them up!