Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dimes

tvr

Over the last few years the percentage of targets I dig at the beach that are dimes has increased. I see a lot more people using an Equinox on the beach. I'm finding fewer quarters, still finding nickles and pennies but dimes have gone up to be almost the same count as pennies. Don't know if there is any correlation between prevalence of detectors used and my dime finds or not. Was out with the AQ LTD and it was a dime day; more dimes than pennies, two nickles and no quarters.

Funny you mentioned that. Yes, I too have been finding lots of dimes.

Dimes are certainly much better than pennies !!! At least they dont corrode as quickly.

HH
Donna(NJ)

Most of the copper pennies have been taken out of circulation and so far fewer of them are being lost. When i'm detecting ,some of the zincs hit high enough to dig, and some don't. It seems like the amount of deterioration along with ground condition causes them to vary in signal quality. This could be part of the reason for finding less of them.

Most of the copper pennies have been taken out of circulation and so far fewer of them are being lost. When i'm detecting ,some of the zincs hit high enough to dig, and some don't. It seems like the amount of deterioration along with ground condition causes them to vary in signal quality. This could be part of the reason for finding less of them.
I'm out with a pulse induction detector much of the time. Can't tell a zinc from a copper. Was another dime day, but did get three very green quarters today ... and some junk jewelry.

I guess my most found coin, the nickel, almost all ways.

Not sure how much this relates since the bay is so different then the ocean. If I'm finding silver quarters the odds are the highest for me to find gold. Then silver dimes and nickels

the chance is less, pennies.. are at the bottom of the list for the odds of find gold. The lighter the targets, the chances decrease.

Zigzag, are you saying you leave dimes and (just asking) why? Ten dimes, $1. Ten pennies, 10c. Besides there are some key date clad dimes worth a pretty penny!!!! (Sorry, that just slipped out) 😂

Zigzag, are you saying you leave dimes and (just asking) why? Ten dimes, $1. Ten pennies, 10c. Besides there are some key date clad dimes worth a pretty penny!!!! (Sorry, that just slipped out) 😂
Yes, I'd sooner spend my time digging for gold. Like Beechnut, I also get a lot of nickels. I really don't care for silver rings either so I'll skip quarters too. It's called gold fever. Before I started detecting I didn't really care much about jewelry but now I always notice when people are wearing gold. LOL on the "clad dimes worth a pretty penny". Ed

Hmmm ... are you only digging the deep faint targets and not the shallow ones?
Has a lot to do with where I'm hunting. One spot I will skip all shallows. Two others I will dig a few shallows just to see. Today was different.... ..very first target Gold ring and it was only one scoop.

It was my first time out in a few weeks, and remember that crazy flood tide we had a few weeks ago. I knew it had pushed a few things out on the surface so I dug all until I got a good solid hit in PP then checked in Discriminate with the Excalibur.

Has a lot to do with where I'm hunting. One spot I will skip all shallows. Two others I will dig a few shallows just to see. Today was different.... ..very first target Gold ring and it was only one scoop.

It was my first time out in a few weeks, and remember that crazy flood tide we had a few weeks ago. I knew it had pushed a few things out on the surface so I dug all until I got a good solid hit in PP then checked in Discriminate with the Excalibur.

Water got pretty high. Our community dock was still above water but not by much. I haven't been in the bay / tributaries in a while; sorting 40 plus years of accumulated stuff and working on moving what we are keeping has kept me busy. We do try to get a couple hours of beach time when we are down south ... gives wife a chance to find shells and shark teeth and on the last trip plenty of dimes for me.

Nice ring! Always nice to get a good target early in the hunt.

Saltwater tourist beach I hunt has a extremely high number of those tent pegs, I mean all over. They are certainly heavier than dimes or pennies. It may be just luck but following my pal ,who won't dig them, can be interesting. I've dug maybe two dozen of them from a 15 yard stretch than started finding quarter's, nickels and once in awhile on a lucky day, Gold. All laying underneath these head aches. You can pick through them when not that many but when they're thick I find thinning them out often helps.