Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disc at 6.8 on some programs…why so specific? Why not 7?

IDXMonster

I posted this question across the road yesterday, it has 47 views and no responses. It leads me to believe that it’s not widely known as to why it’s set there, and others want to know as well.

I posted this question across the road yesterday, it has 47 views and no responses. It leads me to believe that it’s not widely known as to why it’s set there, and others want to know as well.
My guess/opinion, please don’t beat me up over this - it could have something to do with ancient hammered coins across Europe. Many of them are thin, tiny or cut in half.
Over the years I always wondered what coins manufacturers use to calibrate their machines.
Tony

If you look at the original manual its always been broken down to .1

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
My guess/opinion, please don’t beat me up over this - it could have something to do with ancient hammered coins across Europe. Many of them are thin, tiny or cut in half.
Over the years I always wondered what coins manufacturers use to calibrate their machines.
Tony
Very much so Tony, we have to remember that these companies are making machines to accommodate ALL hunters, not just me in my park in Wisconsin. I forget that at times, especially when I’m not doing well! It’s just weird that the specificity of the adjustment would be like that. What would be lost or compromised with a 6 or 7 as opposed to 6.1, 6.2 etc? Must be something, right?

Thanks DD, I had seen that, was just wondering why and what scenario needs such a fine adjustment.
Could just be European way of measuring things for all we know.
1 US gallon = 0.8326741846 UK gallon
1 US fl oz = 1.040842731 UK fl oz
1 foot = .30 meters
1 mph = 1.609 kmh
Etc.

Very much so Tony, we have to remember that these companies are making machines to accommodate ALL hunters, not just me in my park in Wisconsin. I forget that at times, especially when I’m not doing well! It’s just weird that the specificity of the adjustment would be like that. What would be lost or compromised with a 6 or 7 as opposed to 6.1, 6.2 etc? Must be something, right?
Probably not much in US coins but thin ancient hammered coins or ground ceramics (bad dirt) might. It’s a valid question for one of the XP software programmers.
Tony NJ

Could just be European way of measuring things for all we know.
1 US gallon = 0.8326741846 UK gallon
1 US fl oz = 1.040842731 UK fl oz
1 foot = .30 meters
1 mph = 1.609 kmh
Etc.
I never even considered that! Good thought!

Probably not much in US coins but thin ancient hammered coins or ground ceramics (bad dirt) might. It’s a valid question for one of the XP software programmers.
Tony NJ
It’s more of a curiosity for me than anything, but I also don’t want to lose performance in iron by raising the disc too far in certain programs. It’s really easy to blur the line between “overthinking” and “getting all of the performance”…

I always lower it I don’t like it at 10 my minelabs I run wide open no discrimination
Mark

I always lower it I don’t like it at 10 my minelabs I run wide open no discrimination
Mark
You’re a trooper! I did that with my Exp 2 and I heard everything. I won’t go back to that my ears can’t take it.
Tony NJ

It’s more of a curiosity for me than anything, but I also don’t want to lose performance in iron by raising the disc too far in certain programs. It’s really easy to blur the line between “overthinking” and “getting all of the performance”…
Kevin, performance is there on this machine for Sure. At my age I don’t need to be an XP Expert, I’m not going to ancient sites for hammered gold coins!
Right now for the last three hunts (total of about 6 or seven hours) I have been in 1.0 , general, 1.5 or 2 reactivity, pwn, off set at 10. I have been switching around on freq but like 14.x (whatever comes up on screen) for deep silver.
Going over old grounds in two different areas, got three silvers and six wheat cents. Silver are thin, wheats are corroded, finding coins and rusted crap together plus a few holes with multiple clad coins. So IMO, performance is there, cleaning up leftovers.
I can’t wait to get out of town and try other old places. I’ll move onto deep hc next but not this week.
Best of luck To you and all,
Tony NJ

Xp scientists must know something we don’t know about..there design software most likely can model all scenarios before hardware is built to test it..company secret?

This is a wild guess and not based on experience, but I know of users who have reported in the past that they don't like using disc above 5 because it reduces sensitivity to deeper targets across the spectrum.
My guess is a disc above 6.8 might be the point where the D2 performance rapidly drops off.

This is a wild guess and not based on experience, but I know of users who have reported in the past that they don't like using disc above 5 because it reduces sensitivity to deeper targets across the spectrum.
My guess is a disc above 6.8 might be the point where the D2 performance rapidly drops off.
Very interesting! That would certainly be a good reason, I will do some testing on my own to see if I can confirm this. Thanks!

Kevin, performance is there on this machine for Sure. At my age I don’t need to be an XP Expert, I’m not going to ancient sites for hammered gold coins!
Right now for the last three hunts (total of about 6 or seven hours) I have been in 1.0 , general, 1.5 or 2 reactivity, pwn, off set at 10. I have been switching around on freq but like 14.x (whatever comes up on screen) for deep silver.
Going over old grounds in two different areas, got three silvers and six wheat cents. Silver are thin, wheats are corroded, finding coins and rusted crap together plus a few holes with multiple clad coins. So IMO, performance is there, cleaning up leftovers.
I can’t wait to get out of town and try other old places. I’ll move onto deep hc next but not this week.
Best of luck To you and all,
Tony NJ
Where i was from in NJ you had to get out of town or you would be robbed of your detector and finds lol

Digdog, where do you live in N.J.? You sound a little close to my age but I think only God may be older. I was stationed in Lakehurst in '59, '60 and '61. Lived near Seaside Heights, then Toms River. I was an airship driver. Blimps!. They closed down all airship squadrons in Nov. '61. I was in them (antisubmarine) when nuke subs came in. I knew it was over when we headed into the wind and the sub left us behind. I think it was the USS George Washington.

Digdog, where do you live in N.J.? You sound a little close to my age but I think only God may be older. I was stationed in Lakehurst in '59, '60 and '61. Lived near Seaside Heights, then Toms River. I was an airship driver. Blimps!. They closed down all airship squadrons in Nov. '61. I was in them (antisubmarine) when nuke subs came in. I knew it was over when we headed into the wind and the sub left us behind. I think it was the USS George Washington.
Actually not old enough for the blimps lol but when the riots in Newark. Heard it was a good place years before we we’re getting literally burned out of out homes.
Took a group called Guardian Angels walking around cracking skulls on the sidewalks to start turning things around.
Didn’t last long though.eventually you got chased, shot at for just walking down the wrong street.That was 50 years ago, Im sure all the crime is gone now🫣
Spent alot of time around the beaches, and Monmouth Park.