Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discussion on Tones used and why?

jtram

It seemed kind of slow on the forum today and this evening so I thought I would ask a question for me and some of the other new users.
Which tone settings do you use and why? I have been using the combine settings from GH's combine mode and I like them but was wondering what other time settings other forum members use and why. I have tried the 50 tones and I am sure they have an advantage in some environments but for me that was audible overload for a new user. Some, unlike me, have experience with the ETrac and have mentioned the warble sound. This I don't understand and was wondering if someone would explain the advantage of this time setting or others that are being used.

Other machines that I have used have the two tone and making the jump to combine wasn't that big of a step.

Thanks all
Jim

The 50 tones may sound confusing to you right now but give more info to ya. Try what I did when I first got an Etrac few years ago and get some of the coins your looking for and lay them on the ground and sweep over them after a while you will recognize the different tones for the different coins and easily recognize the lower nickle sound from the zink pennies/indian heads sound from the clad/silver sounds and the inbetween them copper pennies. Use it a bit and go slow and you will soon be liking it too. Supposedly the warble sound isn't quite as pronounced on the CTX as the Etrac and different still with the Explorers.

I hunt by ear and confirm with the SmartScreen. If I am hunting in an area with very little modern trash, such as an old homestead or around an old fairground that is now just another corn field, I don't want too listen to any more tones than is necessary to analyze the targets. With the ETRAC, I used TTF. High tone = dig, low tone = keep on tektin'. With the CTX 3030, I use Combined and set the bins and tones for old US coins. The CTX allows me to move the Ferrous down a couple clicks (preset at 17 on the ETRAC), ignore the low tones and still hear the conductive tones assigned to the targets I am after. If I am hunting an area with lots of modern trash, there are too many pieces of junk that will fall into the same bin as coins, thus provide the same tone, when using the four CO tones found in Combined audio. Switching to Multiple tone Conductive allows me to audibly identify much of the trash due to having many more tone possibilities than the 4 CO tones in Combined. If I am hunting private yards, I will typically start out with a Combined program, but have the multiple tone conductive program available to pull up as the "last program" used, if I run into a bunch of trash. In both modes, I use some discrimination in Pattern one and have line 35 rejected in Pattern 2. I use Pattern two to help identify deeply buried iron. Having line 35 rejected also reduces most of the "wrap around" effects of deeply buried iron. Although I may adjust the discrimination according to the specific sites, these four "modes" will pretty well meet my needs in the majority of places I hunt. JMHO HH Randy

Digger said:
I hunt by ear and confirm with the SmartScreen.

I TOTALLY agree.... Audio Audio Audio!

Digger said:
I hunt by ear and confirm with the SmartScreen. If I am hunting in an area with very little modern trash, such as an old homestead or around an old fairground that is now just another corn field, [size=large]I don't want too listen to any more tones than is necessary to analyze the targets. With the ETRAC, I used TTF. High tone = dig, low tone = keep on tektin'.[/size] With the CTX 3030, I use Combined and set the bins and tones for old US coins. The CTX allows me to move the Ferrous down a couple clicks (preset at 17 on the ETRAC), ignore the low tones and still hear the conductive tones assigned to the targets I am after. If I am hunting an area with lots of modern trash, there are too many pieces of junk that will fall into the same bin as coins, thus provide the same tone, when using the four CO tones found in Combined audio. Switching to Multiple tone Conductive allows me to audibly identify much of the trash due to having many more tone possibilities than the 4 CO tones in Combined. If I am hunting private yards, I will typically start out with a Combined program, but have the multiple tone conductive program available to pull up as the "last program" used, if I run into a bunch of trash. In both modes, I use some discrimination in Pattern one and have line 35 rejected in Pattern 2. I use Pattern two to help identify deeply buried iron. Having line 35 rejected also reduces most of the "wrap around" effects of deeply buried iron. Although I may adjust the discrimination according to the specific sites, these four "modes" will pretty well meet my needs in the majority of places I hunt. JMHO HH Randy

*********************************************************​

Randy, like you when using the E-Trac, I too preferred Two Tone Ferrous audio mode (TTF).

The reason for highlighting that small section of your post, was to enquire if what you 'said'

was accurate, then I respectfully suggest you may have passed over some good DEEP targets.

I say that because my my TTF in detail, included a Fe 35 to 27 mask. (Very important declaration)

THEN.....I DUG ALL REPEATABLE AUDIO .....HIGH [size=x-large]or LOW[/size]

I would correlate that low audio with the DEPTH indication.....if greater than half max depth indication

I would be almost 99% sure I was onto a winner.

Many are the Fe 20 to Fe 26's / CON ?? I've recovered...DEEP COINS. ( 12 inches..depending on size)

The rational being....I've killed off 95% of the iron with the 27-35 Fe mask, therefore ANY tone now is

most likely to be either a masked 'goodie' or very deep item........Tex

it appears that you have misinterpreted the intent of my statement. I suggest listening to as few number of tones as may be required (in open areas with very little modern trash) to properly analyze the targets. Reason being, I would rather listen to the audio structure of two tones, compared to sorting out the audio nuances of four tones or 35 tones. JMHO HH Randy

Not complaining at all but is this the only ways CTX owners are using the tones. Surely others have some comments

I started using Gonehunting combined mode yesterday and love it!!!!! I use discrimination when there is to much iron in the ground and wide open when in the clear. The tones sound good and that mode truly finds the hidden gems in the ground.