Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do any of you use a harness for the E-Trac?

I use one due to an impinged shoulder. I don't find it a hinderance at all. I can't figure out why I didn't use one before. All of the weight is taken by the strap. I just let it hang and adjust the shaft until the coil is almost on the ground and go.
I made it out of the strap from the bag that came with my etrac and a short bungee. the shoulder strap from any sort of gym bag would work.
Try one you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I use a Swingy Thingy. Got shoulder issues and just couldn't stand it any more without one. Now I even use it on my AT-Pro! When you go to retrieve a target you just let go of the detector and it rests crosswise in front of your body. Kneel down, recover target, stand up and grab the detector. After a year of using it I find it faster and easier to work with it then without it by far. I couldn't hunt without it. The new Ultra Swingy Thingy looks interesting and I might give it a try one of these days. Sure makes swinging an E-Trac all day a breeze.

It does shorten your swing a bit but you learn to turn your body more while swinging to make up for it. It just becomes second nature after a little while.

They are simple to set up, just follow the directions and remember to take the time to get that bungy tension just right. Makes all the difference.

http://www.limbsaver.com/garden/metal_detector_sling.php

I have been using one for the last month on my Explorer II and it has worked very well. If you know the Explorer line then you know that you pay for the great performance by the fact that they are heavy and not very well balanced.

A friend of mine just ordered one from Kellyco, who is a Findmall sponsor.

Bill

I use the standard army surplus Y suspenders along with a surplus web pistol belt. I just hook a short bungee to the D ring on the suspenders and the other end wraps around the hand grip just before the display screen., The setup also carries a carpenters hammer holder for my WWII surplus entrenching tool, my Garrett pin pointer with holster, A small digging tool and pouch, a small pouch for my good finds, and the large Minelab pouch for the trash. It carries the weight nicely, and lets me hunt longer without the tired arm. When I dig I just let go and it hangs at my side until I'm ready to go again. Takes a little while to get used to, and you have to experiment with the length of your bungee and the length of your lower rod to find the balance that's right for you. I do find that I have to adjust the lower rod when going up and down hills, but on flat level ground it's pretty much set it once and go. It does limit your sweep some, but the comfort is well worth taking the time to get it setup right.

Hunted last few weeks lasted 10+ hours with 11"DD E-trac. Was sore from squatting down a hundred thousand times to dig, but the arm and shoulder are fine. I'd recommend you adjust the stem length so when the arm is relaxed the coil is about a foot in front. Use your elbow and wrist to swing the coil like a clock pendulum. The shoulder is the pivot point and shouldn't be doing much of any work. To get more reach you can turn the torso slightly with the swing to each side. Done this way the usual stress points are removed. If you try to 'power' the E-trac around the forearm, elbow, shoulder are going to start to scream after a bit. Even when IDing a target, it is still just a straight, relaxed arm and the wrist providing the small sweeps. If you hunt tense and out of sync the weight of the E-trac will strain all the muscles in your arm. Plus, occasionally switch to the left arm - you can hunt ambidextrously after a bit of practice.

Johnnyangle, I wish it would work like that for all of us but as you get older sometimes the old joints fail you. While I'm only 53 I've had my right shoulder reconstructed once and barely have dodged the knife on my left. Arthritis, bursitis and tendonitis. At one point it wasn't even possible to pick up a pen and sign my name from the pain. Years of shipwright work took it's toll. Without a harness I can't even swing my AT-Pro with the small coil much less the E-Trac with the Ultimate 13. Switching off just means two trashed shoulders within two hours. That's after taking two Aleve before the hunt! But with that harness I can swing all day. It's meant the difference between enjoying the hobby and giving it up. Believe me I tried your method and the injuries still put an end to swinging.

I am a 71 year old female who detects at least twice a week. I wear a leather belt around my waist with two pouches one for trash and one for my finds both big enough to fit my tools i sewed them myself.

I attach a normal pair of men's trouser braces (wide elastic) to my belt,i clip two pieces at the back onto my belt, one on the left front of my belt and on the right front i wrap the other elastic around my detector handle and adjust to the length i want it. Now here comes the best tip of all, i bought two lambs fur car seat belt protectors the type you put on your car safety belt to stop the belt from digging into your neck,they come with Velcro so you can put one on top of the other and this stops the belt from digging into your shoulder once it has been wrapped over the right braces strap, these as i mention are easy to add as they are with Velcro.If the strap slips off your shoulder just slip it under the left brace and then fasten it to the detector.

My husband gives up detecting way before i do because his arm hurts but he won't wear a strap he doesn't think they look good? so he has to sit around for a few hours until i am done with detecting!.

H.H. Maureen. from Ozz.

That's the ticket! Get all the controls (weight) off your swing. All that needs to be swung is the coil, the screen could just mount flat to your chest on a vest and just flip it open like a laptop and plug in your coil when your ready to hunt. No need of swinging the battery pack and all the electronics. The screen would be easier to see in the sunlight. Great pic's and idea. Most of our bellys stick out now anyways, I think it would work great.

I use the doc ultimate swingy thing and won't go detecting with a mines track without it. I can hunt for hours again not minutes

Re:pro Swing 45 harness for etrac
Posted by: roadapple [ Send a Message ]
Date: September 22, 2015 03:08PM
If anyone's on the fence with this product .............don't be !!!

I receive the Pro-Swing 45 for a birthday present. After finally getting the adjustments correctly, so the two piece adjustable arm stays together when reaching and bending, this thing is incredible in how the Etrac with any size coil, becomes weightless. You can swing the detector all day long with only two fingers. after a full day's hunt my arm, elbow and shoulder feels like I have never hunted at all. A Quality Product - a great design and I will never detect without it from now on !

I use the proswing 45. Its worth every penny. It extends my hunting times with no effort at all. I highly recommend it

for those of you that use the proswing harness...does it work for us "husky" types? :| How many inch waist does it accommodate? 46 here...Hate to buy something that constantly reminds me to loose weight...I married a women for that..lol

This may sound strange but it has helped me so much with the sore shoulder.

I use a normal pair of mens braces the type they hold up the trousers with one I fasten the back clip to the back of a belt that i put around my waist at the front i put the left clip on my belt and the right clip i wrap around my detector until it feels comfortable then clip it onto the braces itself,if it feels tight on the shoulder i have a piece of fur underneath.I find this setup more flexible than a swingy one which i found restricted my swing,just try this i have done it for years it was suggested to me by our local detector dealer and i wouldn't do it any other way.

cheers Maureen S. (thirdbornau)