Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do coins lose weight after being in the ground?

Spider-F5

I know this is a steupid/crazy question but after what happened this morning I couldn't help but wonder.
laughing021.gif
After figuring out the best way to clean the coins I've dug this past year, I rolled them up while watching the ball games on TV this weekend and decided to cash them in on the way to work this morning at a local convenience store that is owned by a friend. Simple enough, right? Wrong!!!! His method to make sure that there is the right amount of coins is to weigh them on a calibrated scale, I get that but every roll of quarters he placed on the scale was short. I'm like: NO WAY!! He then proceeds to compare to a roll that he has and sure enough, mine are 2 grams light. I called BS and insured him that I hand counted each roll and suggested that he open a couple to see for himself. After doing so he scratches his head and has the most dumbfounded look. what is you guys take on this?

Spider F5

I'm with Highlifter on the zinc pennies but regular clad, I'm thinking would weight the same after cleaning.
I find regular clad weight the same also after cleaning.

Yes. I do not understand much about American coins, but I can assure you that old European coins, with the passing of the years and the fertilizers, remain without relief.

I do believe the roll that he was comparing the weight with was a bank issue as it had machine crimps on both ends. whereas, mine has the machine crimp on one end.

So we are talking about a roll of US clad quarters here? Silver definitely loses weight from pocket wear/general circulation so if these were just modern coins, I think you’re right about the discrepancy being in the packaging, and not the coins themselves.

yea its weird how this all went down. What was happening is that he was measuring in lbs and quoting the numbers in grams.(which threw me off from the start) He was saying that my rolls were weighing in at .48 lbs or 217.724 grams versus his "controlled" roll of .50 lbs or 226.8 grams. that's a .02 ounce discrepancy.

F5

I know this is a steupid/crazy question but after what happened this morning I couldn't help but wonder.
laughing021.gif
After figuring out the best way to clean the coins I've dug this past year, I rolled them up while watching the ball games on TV this weekend and decided to cash them in on the way to work this morning at a local convenience store that is owned by a friend. Simple enough, right? Wrong!!!! His method to make sure that there is the right amount of coins is to weigh them on a calibrated scale, I get that but every roll of quarters he placed on the scale was short. I'm like: NO WAY!! He then proceeds to compare to a roll that he has and sure enough, mine are 2 grams light. I called BS and insured him that I hand counted each roll and suggested that he open a couple to see for himself. After doing so he scratches his head and has the most dumbfounded look. what is you guys take on this?

Spider F5
Spider-F5, in my opinion - yes they might weight less than newly circulated coins.
Many dimes I find are very thin, cents can be deteriorated a bit too much; some quarters are also worn down or corroded - most nickles not so much - they seem to hold up better (except for newer ones after 2010.
Coin star machines spit them out all the time, even if they are not dug coins. The rubbing together will smooth them down a bit.
Don't fret, many machines will take those coins, parking meters, toll booths and yes cash machines at the checkout - if they except coins.........
I saw today that the local Stop and Shop added more self check out machines. They take coins but my local Walmart will not take coins or cash....SOB's.....
Tony