Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do I really really need that 6x8 coil?

Happa54

Hi All...

Sorry that his newbie already has 3 posts at the top of this column, but I have been aggressive with my time on my Safari.

I'm on my 3rd round with Andy Sabich's book, have read 2 other MD books and tons of research, etc.

My confusion is with the coil among others but I'll stick to this one subject for now.

Most say to go to the 6x8 coil whereas very few will say there is no benefit in replacing my DD 11" pro coil whatsoever.

As in most things in life we take a consensus and go with the majority.

What do you think? To hunt with the 6x8 or not?

I am cutting my teeth on an extremely large trashy park that I love to hunt.

Thank you again for listening and providing your feedback.

Last summer after too many hunts without the skid plate on the 11' pro coil, the imbedded coil became exposed causing much falsing in all hunting conditions. Purchased the 6 x 8 SEF and have not thought about replacing the 11' pro coil . I don't experience any loss of depth in hunting with the 6x8 SEF. What I have experienced are occassional different tid when the coil is over familiar targets when my hunting mode remains the same ( low trash, relic). For example, when the pro coil was used ,wheaties routinely read 37, while with the 6x8 , I see bouncing tid. of 36,37,38 (same for post '82 Lincolns -:rolleyes: ) Silver dimes and quarters are consistent ,38-39. Clad dimes were 38,now they're 37-38 . IH cents were 32-34,now they're 32-33. Zincolns were 35, now they're 34-35. I saved what I think is a toasty KG II or over the weekend which bounced between 35-37 ,had about 10-12 inches of depth and when in pinpoint mode did not scream at me from a height greater than the 4-5 inches. Yeah, a definite target to dig in a old field cleared of corn stubs and brush. I can possibly make out part of the harp outline on the reverse ,but the olive bath works slowly.

I'd say hunt the park out with the stock coil and then go back with the smaller coil. Its never an Either/Or situation; its about tweeking to enhance whats there.
Stock gives you coverage and most of the treasure, then the smaller coil gives you separation on the tougher stuff.

:clapping:

kschae4 said:
Last summer after too many hunts without the skid plate on the 11' pro coil, the imbedded coil became exposed causing much falsing in all hunting conditions. Purchased the 6 x 8 SEF and have not thought about replacing the 11' pro coil . I don't experience any loss of depth in hunting with the 6x8 SEF. What I have experienced are occassional different tid when the coil is over familiar targets when my hunting mode remains the same ( low trash, relic). For example, when the pro coil was used ,wheaties routinely read 37, while with the 6x8 , I see bouncing tid. of 36,37,38 (same for post '82 Lincolns -:rolleyes: ) Silver dimes and quarters are consistent ,38-39. Clad dimes were 38,now they're 37-38 . IH cents were 32-34,now they're 32-33. Zincolns were 35, now they're 34-35. I saved what I think is a toasty KG II or over the weekend which bounced between 35-37 ,had about 10-12 inches of depth and when in pinpoint mode did not scream at me from a height greater than the 4-5 inches. Yeah, a definite target to dig in a old field cleared of corn stubs and brush. I can possibly make out part of the harp outline on the reverse ,but the olive bath works slowly.

Happa54--First off, the correct name for the smaller coil in question is the Detech 8 x 6" SEF Butterfly Coil for Minelab E Series Detectors. It is currently available from Kellyco for $149.95. There are some other advantages of this coil that have not been mentioned. One, you can hunt longer with this coil than with the stock coil because it is significantly lighter. Two, in brushy or wooded areas, and corn stubble fields, you can get in and among the brush much more easily than with the stock coil. In fact, you can cover areas of the turf that you couldn't cover with the larger stock coil. Three, according to what I have read, you do not lose much in depth with a smaller DD coil while you would with a smaller concentric coil. The main disadvantage is that you cannot cover as much area per swing as you could with the larger, stock coil.

I like my 8 x 6 SEF coil very much, and use it about 80% of my detecting time. I also have a second Minelab Safari so it isn't because I don't like to change coils. My second Safari has the Detech 13" Ultimate Search Coil mounted on it. I like that coil very much also because it is larger than the Minelab Stock Coil, but actually lighter than the stock coil. I would also like to point out that often you can get good deals on used coils through Find Mall detector accessories or on eBay. Good luck in your hunting.

Jim

I think I've received enough positive feedback now in favor of the smaller coil.

I just purchased the Detech 6x8 butterfly coil from Kellyco. They shaved off $10...$139 out the door.

There is a huge demand for this coil so it was out of stock.

They say 2-3 weeks til I receive it.....I hope so as I'm anxious to get going with it.

I live in Los Angeles and hunt trashy older parks so this should work out well.

Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated!!!!!

Happa54 said:
I think I've received enough positive feedback now in favor of the smaller coil.

I just purchased the Detech 6x8 butterfly coil from Kellyco. They shaved off $10...$139 out the door.

There is a huge demand for this coil so it was out of stock.

They say 2-3 weeks til I receive it.....I hope so as I'm anxious to get going with it.

I live in Los Angeles and hunt trashy older parks so this should work out well.

Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated!!!!!

I ordered one from Kellyco in December. It showed it was in stock when I ordered it, but never got a tracking #. They told me the same thing, 2-3 weeks, and after 6 weeks I cancelled the order. Then it took two calls to get my card credited. Good luck...

I've spent way too much time with my stock 11 inch coil! Why I say that is because I went out with my 6 inch excellerator the other day and got so frustrated with having to slow down so much, swinging the smaller coil and not being able to cover enough territory. I ended up mounting the stock back on again! I must be on the impatient side because I find it hard to slow down that much. I virtually use no discrimination everywhere I go. It's like hearing a symphony orchestra all the time!lol.....but it doesn't bother me in the least and I don't have to put up with sound 'nulls' .
BUT.....if I get an iffy signal or a signal that is out of the ordinary sounding signal, I'll stop and approach it from all directions picking out the different sounds. I know a smaller coil will pick out targets much easier than a larger coil but for me, detecting in a.m. with a larger coil is what I'm used to now. Individual preference!! Besides, I love to go to the beach and the stock coil is just the right size and it's not too heavy for me to swing. Now I'm waiting for the Summer weather to come and seeing people flocking to the beach and loosing all those gold ringslol!!!!! It's all good!!:clapping:
P.s. Reading the above comments, I'm going to buy the 6x8 (I have bigger coils but don't have that one at the moment) and I'll report back!!:thumbup:

Hey HighPlainsHunter....yeah I've read the same issues with Kellyco's back orders and the delay in getting things delivered and the difficulties in getting credit reversed etc.

When I bought my Safari & TRX Bullseye and later my Lesch digging shovel, they were delivered in a couple of days which was pretty quick for regular delivery.

I cross my fingers now.

Goldstrike.... I see your point and I wish I were at your level of detecting so I could go AM all the way. I do toggle back and forth and I'm slowly getting used to all the chatter every time I go out.

The parks I'm hunting in Los Angeles are extremely trashy and huge. When I get out of the car and see the vastness of the area, I get impatient because I want to hunt it all in the shortest amount of time.

As it is I'm hunting 4-5 hours each time I go out. I lose track of time because I'm so focused on the hunt and tones, etc.

I now envision this smaller coil as just spending more time to cover small areas but I guess it's part of the learning curve. Even if I decide it's not for me then what the heck, I'm only out $139.

I look forward to more communication on these forums.

Thank you everyone!!!!!

My prediction is that youll come to think of that 139 as money well spent. Youll use it as long as you have your detector, not just at this park. Good Hunting!

I put my 6X8 about 4 years ago and never hardly take it off.The main thing that no one has talked about is it cuts down you digging a lot of those pesky larger Iron nails and Iron junk where that Pro Coil will sound off like that nail was a coin or a good target.The only way Pro Coil can even compete with a 6X8 in a trashy park is to run with no discrimination and it will generate a huge amount of trash.If you get a 6x8 here is a trick for extremely hunted out parks or heavy trash.Concentrate your eyes and only use the first 3 inches front of coil and hunt using the "Breasts" you will see what I am talking about when you get your coil.Hunt forward like you were chipping ice not really sweeping going at separate angles works great along curbs and side walk edges.Use this to pin point also when signal drops out it will be between the breasts.I had to wait 11 weeks for my 6X8 from Kellyco back then and I paid 179 bucks was worth the wait and price turned the Safari into a real coin eating machine.

Hey Prep1957.... you just turned on a light switch for me.

You said "that Pro Coil will sound off like that nail was a coin or a good target".

Whoa!!!!! Does this mean the smaller coil can emit a different tone than the pro coil?

In my hunts, this certainly is the case more often than not. Many high coin tones get me a rusted wire, bottle cap, etc.

There are so many different angles to MD'ing to absorb here in the forums.

Thank you for your response.

I have no Idea how Detech built there coils even the larger coils work the same way getting rid of iron pleasant surprise when I found out about it but they are heavy.The 6X8 saved me from wrapping the Safari around a tree when I was running Pro Coil I am not a relic hunter if I was I would run the Pro Coil.When I look for Caches or Horse Shoes I put the Pro Coil and cut my sensitivity in half.Coil has been out 5 years and is still back ordered should tell everyone that it is a real treasure hunting go to tool.

kschae4: Thanks for the article on the coils.

These forums are accelerating my learning curve quite a bit.

Without everyone's shared wisdom and experience I may have had seconds thoughts on this hobby as it can be frustrating due to all the high trash parks I hunt.

Due to all the variances, tones, modes, angles, equipment, etc, etc..... I find my thirst for knowledge and finds only increases by the day.

Thank you!!!!