Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do the GTI1500 and GTI2500 have VCO pinpoint ?

Gene

Trying to figure out if they have regular pinpoint or VCO pinpoint.
Thought I would be able to find the answer easily but not so far.

n/t

Sorry, didn't mean to throw you a curve bloodyknees.
VCO = voltage controlled oscillator
Targets get a higher pitched tone near center of coil.
Good hunting to you ! Gene

Sorry Gene no VCO on the GTI 2500. The last Garrett that had it was the Master Hunter CX III. Im trying to find a CX III just for that reason.

Alan

Thanks Bill. Actually, that's what I was hoping for.
Didn't see in any of the literature that it had VCO
so I thought that it didn't. I know I could come here
and find out instead of racking my little brain about it.
I appreciate your letting me know. Gene

That's good news Alan. I have a CXIII that's lin great shape with the 8 1/2", big DD,
and small elliptical coil. Deadly fast on pinpoint. May have to get with you
when I want a new detector and see if we can work something out.
I really appreciate your answer Alan. Gene

There are some detectors with regular pinpoint where you can use audio variances.
From what I have seen VCO pinpoint doesn't work well for that.
For instance take a square pulltab and a large gold high school ring or anything that hits
close to that pulltab on a 1-100 meter. Put into pinpoint and go over them at medium speed.
Gold ring = Beeeeep tab = beep Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the target.
Just holds the signal longer. Now when you get into the foil range things seem to be more difficult.
This is using a concentric coil with regular pinpoint on one of my detectors. Not sure how, or if,
it works on elliptical coils. Don't have a GTP1350 or a GTI so no way to test them. Would be great
if it would work for you. Just cost you a little time to check it out. I know this is kind of controversial
and probably many don't believe it is possible but I thought I would just post it for what it's worth.
You can decide if it will work for you or not.

Y'all are way over this Texas rednecks head. All I know is my 1500 works well and I really like it.
I learn something every day listening to you guys (& gals).
Thanks..Al

bloodyknees said:
Y'all are way over this Texas rednecks head. All I know is my 1500 works well and I really like it.
I learn something every day listening to you guys (& gals).
Thanks..Al
Well, sometimes I get a little carried away, Al. :)

Yeah, the 1500 is a fine detector no doubt Al.
Give this a try.... put a piece of small foil on a
clean piece of ground. Go over it in pinpoint
at a medium steady speed and go over that
foil without stopping. Listen to how long it takes
for the pinpoint sound to fade. Now do the same
thing with something larger. Notice any differences
in how long it takes for the pinpoint sound to fade away ?
Not sure if it works with the 1500 or not but check it out.
If it doesn't I guess you wont be out much as the 1500
sure has a lot going for it already. Glad you like your 1500.
You sure picked a good one there. HH Gene

Gene said:
Yeah, the 1500 is a fine detector no doubt Al.
Give this a try.... put a piece of small foil on a
clean piece of ground. Go over it in pinpoint
at a medium steady speed and go over that
foil without stopping. Listen to how long it takes
for the pinpoint sound to fade. Now do the same
thing with something larger. Notice any differences
in how long it takes for the pinpoint sound to fade away ?
Not sure if it works with the 1500 or not but check it out.
If it doesn't I guess you wont be out much as the 1500
sure has a lot going for it already. Glad you like your 1500.
You sure picked a good one there. HH Gene
I have also noticed the tendency of foil to fade or repond weakly. This is often noticeable if you raise you your coil slightly as you scan over suspect foil items. The signal fades off quickly, whereas a good target 'holds' longer. Unfortunately pulltabs are seen as good targets although I have noted their tendency to also fade under th wecoil lift method.
This is some very subtle stuff, and takes a lot of practice to hear it the first few times. You also have to keep at it, to really get it down pat. Im pretty sure this is something that must be done in pinpoint on the Garretts, as they are not very expressive in the discriminate mode.
Which explains why I never noticed it before - I dont use pinpoint much!

Yeh Sounds good Gene...would like it.

Alan

I believe you are right when you say that raising the coil you can notice the
changes better David. May not be true on all detectors however. I like those
without VCO pinpoint. Make absolutely certain that the target is centered and
then you can analyze the signal best. Pullabs, for the most part if they are fairly
flat in the ground, can be checked in nonmotion pinpoint to get their approximate
size. As you move a target away from the coil and the signal becomes weaker
the differences in the sounds you hear are more evident. I pay attention to how the
sound starts and ends. Also the fade rate in nonmotion pinpoint as I sweep over
the target. You are right, it does take a lot of practice. This is how I started out.....
I hunted only one football field during this testing period where I felt the ground conditions
would be the same throughout the entire field. For the first 40 hours I dug everything
that I felt was not iron. Yes, every single signal, bar none. I listened to them all before
I dug them and tried to guess what they were. At the end of this 40 hours I discovered
something very interesting. I could tell the difference between a nickel, pencil ferrule and
a thin (engagement type) gold ring while they were in the ground. This was done with
amazing regularity. The detector I used didn't have any meter. For about 4 seasons I did
this and had quite the collection of gold jewelry. All from dry land. For the last 4-5 years
I have been trying different detectors, about one a season, trying to find one that could
duplicate these results with more depth. So far I haven't found that detector. Most of my
gold jewelry was within 4" of the surface. Maybe I should be happy with that. I am beginning
to think so and may very soon go back to that detector that did so great for me. HH Gene

I will be in touch when it's time. My season is just beginning Alan.
I hope to get out this weekend for the first time since April.
Thanks for the reply and Good Hunting to you ! Gene

That's a great feature for getting things that you may not hear
with other detectors. One of their strng points, among others,
I am thinking.