Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do the GTI1500 and GTI2500 have VCO pinpoint ?

Gene said:
I believe you are right when you say that raising the coil you can notice the
changes better David. May not be true on all detectors however. I like those
without VCO pinpoint. Make absolutely certain that the target is centered and
then you can analyze the signal best. Pullabs, for the most part if they are fairly
flat in the ground, can be checked in nonmotion pinpoint to get their approximate
size. As you move a target away from the coil and the signal becomes weaker
the differences in the sounds you hear are more evident. I pay attention to how the
sound starts and ends. Also the fade rate in nonmotion pinpoint as I sweep over
the target. You are right, it does take a lot of practice. This is how I started out.....
I hunted only one football field during this testing period where I felt the ground conditions
would be the same throughout the entire field. For the first 40 hours I dug everything
that I felt was not iron. Yes, every single signal, bar none. I listened to them all before
I dug them and tried to guess what they were. At the end of this 40 hours I discovered
something very interesting. I could tell the difference between a nickel, pencil ferrule and
a thin (engagement type) gold ring while they were in the ground. This was done with
amazing regularity. The detector I used didn't have any meter. For about 4 seasons I did
this and had quite the collection of gold jewelry. All from dry land. For the last 4-5 years
I have been trying different detectors, about one a season, trying to find one that could
duplicate these results with more depth. So far I haven't found that detector. Most of my
gold jewelry was within 4" of the surface. Maybe I should be happy with that. I am beginning
to think so and may very soon go back to that detector that did so great for me. HH Gene
Of course, now, inquiring minds want to know which detector that was....

Get a clean piece of ground and try to analyze targets on top of the ground to start with.
Then try to guess what the target is before you dig it up while out hunting.
May not be for everyone but it may just be for you. I hope so.
Give it a good try on all your detectors David. You may just be surprised.
If it works you will be a happy camper. I guarantee you that !
Good hunting to you ! Gene

I was posting the same time as you were just below here David...Hmmmmm

Yeah, I thought that might be the question. Unlike some other forum I can mention it
here without it being deleted. That's because Bill is running one of the most popular
forums going and keeps an open mind to all our posts. Compare the number of posts
on the Garrett Forum to others if you don't believe it.

The detector that does so great for me on gold jewelry is the Golden Sabre II.
I found a new one right when they were being discontinued. Sat in my closet
for a year and didn't use it until I had a problem with the detector I was using.
Something told me I had to have a Golden Sabre II. Don't know what it was
but I am sure glad now I was listening.

Not taking anything away from the Garrett's as I have a couple of them too.
Have had at least one Garrett since around 1976 or so. They are tough,
reliable machines and their customer service is second to none. I can say
this as I have been doing business with them for 30 years and have absolutely
no complaints about any Garrett I have every used.

Let me know if you have any quetions David. I may not have all the answers but
I don't mind sharing what works for me.

Good hunting to you David ! Gene

Yes sir, you are absolutely, positively correct Bill.
Use whatever works for you to find stuff.
I have heard of all kinds of techniques that have left
me puzzled but they must have surely worked
for those telling about them.
Good hunting to you Bill ! Gene

Gene said:
I was posting the same time as you were just below here David...Hmmmmm

Yeah, I thought that might be the question. Unlike some other forum I can mention it
here without it being deleted. That's because Bill is running one of the most popular
forums going and keeps an open mind to all our posts. Compare the number of posts
on the Garrett Forum to others if you don't believe it.

The detector that does so great for me on gold jewelry is the Golden Sabre II.
I found a new one right when they were being discontinued. Sat in my closet
for a year and didn't use it until I had a problem with the detector I was using.
Something told me I had to have a Golden Sabre II. Don't know what it was
but I am sure glad now I was listening.

Not taking anything away from the Garrett's as I have a couple of them too.
Have had at least one Garrett since around 1976 or so. They are tough,
reliable machines and their customer service is second to none. I can say
this as I have been doing business with them for 30 years and have absolutely
no complaints about any Garrett I have every used.

Let me know if you have any quetions David. I may not have all the answers but
I don't mind sharing what works for me.

Good hunting to you David ! Gene
Ive had a GSII in the past. Nice detector, with one of the best coils in the business. Not the deepest, and a bit clunky in my esteem, but pretty good. Good enough, in fact, for me to keep a Golden model in my line up down to today (G-uMax)

Never use a Golden UMax David but I have been told by many it is different
than the Golden Sabre II. Yeah, the GSII is kind of old fashioned but it gets
what I am after better than any thusfar. Can't complain about that.
Another thing you might try is this. Using targets on top of the ground for a
test see what they sound like when centered under your coil and what they
sound like at different places on your coil.....not centered.
I have talked to quite a few GSII users that had used that detector for some
time and told them my gold jewelery hunting method. Most of them that I know
of don't have it anymore. Takes a lot of patience in the beginning that's for sure.
I don't need the latest and greatest myself. I will take my GSII out on a sports field
that has all kinds of aluminum trash everywhere up against anything and I can just about
bet what will happen. Have done it a few times and the GSII just embarrassed them
really bad, Just in case you ever get a GSII let me tell you what mine does that is
really special. Any other user I have ever talked to has never even heard of this.
Ready...here goes...at the extreme limit of it's depth the GSII will give a distinct but
faint sound like static on an AM radio on gold jewelry. That's the best way I can
describe it. You have to really pay attention to those whisper signals. You know
what's the best part though.....gold jewelry is the only signal that sounds like this.
Yes, the only signal that sounds like this. Can't duplicate this in the air but in my
ground I have dug many of these signals and have never been surprised by them,.
I am thinking it just can't be me and this particular detector I have. Guess you know
by now you have hit on my favorite subject. Most don't believe what I am saying is
true and that's fine by me. I even tell other detectorists in the field that I meet if they
care to listen. I know that most wont have the patience to go out and hunt like I do
time after time after time. It's not for everyone but I feel I dig things that others have
walked right over many times. Makes it kind of special ro me. I sure hope you get
something out of this you can use. I am not much of a typist. HH Gene

Yeah, that's a heck of a good gold machine.:thumbup:Great coin shooter, too!:detecting:Tesoro makes some good ones, that's for sure!:wiggle:Happy Hunting!:)

Yeah, so does Garrett though Metalhead !
I think that once you get past understanding how
to operate a detector according to the manual it's
the little things you pick up on along the way that
really makes the difference. Not so much the
detector but the operator. If that weren't true all
of these different detectors wouldn't be selling.
That's my opinion for what it's worth.
Thanks for posting. Good hunting to you ! Gene

Gene said:
Never use a Golden UMax David but I have been told by many it is different
than the Golden Sabre II. Yeah, the GSII is kind of old fashioned but it gets
what I am after better than any thusfar. Can't complain about that.
Another thing you might try is this. Using targets on top of the ground for a
test see what they sound like when centered under your coil and what they
sound like at different places on your coil.....not centered.
I have talked to quite a few GSII users that had used that detector for some
time and told them my gold jewelery hunting method. Most of them that I know
of don't have it anymore. Takes a lot of patience in the beginning that's for sure.
I don't need the latest and greatest myself. I will take my GSII out on a sports field
that has all kinds of aluminum trash everywhere up against anything and I can just about
bet what will happen. Have done it a few times and the GSII just embarrassed them
really bad, Just in case you ever get a GSII let me tell you what mine does that is
really special. Any other user I have ever talked to has never even heard of this.
Ready...here goes...at the extreme limit of it's depth the GSII will give a distinct but
faint sound like static on an AM radio on gold jewelry. That's the best way I can
describe it. You have to really pay attention to those whisper signals. You know
what's the best part though.....gold jewelry is the only signal that sounds like this.
Yes, the only signal that sounds like this. Can't duplicate this in the air but in my
ground I have dug many of these signals and have never been surprised by them,.
I am thinking it just can't be me and this particular detector I have. Guess you know
by now you have hit on my favorite subject. Most don't believe what I am saying is
true and that's fine by me. I even tell other detectorists in the field that I meet if they
care to listen. I know that most wont have the patience to go out and hunt like I do
time after time after time. It's not for everyone but I feel I dig things that others have
walked right over many times. Makes it kind of special ro me. I sure hope you get
something out of this you can use. I am not much of a typist. HH Gene
I wasn't knocking the old GSII, it just didn't pain me to part with it. To be fair, I never gave it a good long shake down. I tinkered with it, something else came along and it went.
Im curious if that same "scratchy" business on gold happens with the coil lifted on shallower items. For example, you get a hittraise the coil and listen for the AM audio. Like that?

I am not knocking anything by Garrett - after all I just got another one. But this is intriguing, as I go forward looking for gold jewelry.
Maybe you and I should get together....

Hi Gene.
What you are touching on is what I like about the GTI with the elliptical coil.I'd consider it to be the best info that you can get out of a detector to date. I've been discovering it on the X-Terra as well over the last week. Although it has a VCO pinpoint, if you put it into prospecting mode, then it does the same job. I imagine that if you combine it reverse discrimination on the Goldstinger, you'd pretty much know what each target is.
Mick Evans.

You are hitting on what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Leaning the subtleties of it. I was only talking about this part of the hobby to my music teacher last night (just taken up the harmonica), as it was something that crosses over to leaning an apparently simple instrument that can do far more that you'd expect. As with a good simple detector. The subtleties will give you better info, with greater reliability than the latest and greatest flashy units that tell you not to dig what it thinks are trash.
Mick Evans.

Mick in Dubbo said:
You are hitting on what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Leaning the subtleties of it. I was only talking about this part of the hobby to my music teacher last night (just taken up the harmonica), as it was something that crosses over to leaning an apparently simple instrument that can do far more that you'd expect. As with a good simple detector. The subtleties will give you better info, with greater reliability than the latest and greatest flashy units that tell you not to dig what it thinks are trash.
Mick Evans.
Ive been playing guitar and singing for the last 35 years, on and off. Sometimes I'm in a band, sometimes not.

You are right about the musical angle, certainly about having an ear that is trained to nuance of sound. I've noticed it myself - I recall my old Fisher 1266X gave foil a fuzzy scattered sort of buzz.

The Garrett line seems to have tried to do away with that "eariness" to some degree, and work on technology alone. This means there is a lot of trust one must have in what the instrument is telling you, as opposed to going by ear or "gut."

But even they have subtlety that can be coaxed from them, with enough familiarity.