Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you know a good way to clean clad and...

jbow

bronze pennys? I have tried soaking in detergent and water. I've tried soaking in olive oil and scrubbing with a toothbrush but nothing seems to really do any more than to remove loose dirt. They remain brown.

I did learn to not use Naval Jelly on a wheat penny... I ruined one.

Thanks,

Julien

Heat up peroxide in a glass cup or use a rock tumbler

I use a rock tumbler with some aquarium gravel, water, and a little lemon juice. Works well.
if you want to polish a coin or relic to a lovely shine, get a vibratory tumbler, add crushed walnut shells (pet supply stores carry this) and some Flitz tumbler media additive - after a few days you will be amazed at the shine you've produced.

I use a rock tumbler, sand and vinegar.

n/t

If you want pink quarters, nickels and dimes you can put them in with the pennies.

Otherwise, I run the pennies separate and the rest of them together.

In Australia, I use a wire buff to make our silver coins ( that I get out of the parks ) silver again, I then put them in the little plastic bank bags, and when I have a couple of hundred dollars i take it to the bank and get real paper money for it. I use a pair of vyce grips to hold the coins as they get pretty hot. I'm not worried about scratching them as they are all modern coins from 1966

I too use the real Lemon juice on the pennies with the aquarium gravel and water and they come out great in a hour time. Now on the clad it takes longer with the lemon juice and I even let it sit in the tumbler over night to soak, then run it for a hour or 2 and most look great. I also will use Muratic, but only a little in with the gravel and water and this will clean them nice in a hour. After I use this I use my lemon juice and water to clean off the acid for about 15 minutes.Now on the wheaties I will use the vibrating tumbler a little all purpose cleaner ( I use Awesome I get at the dollar store) and add water until I get a nice rolling action and run for about 5 hours, rinse and dry then put them in with crushed walnut shells for about another 6 hours, rinse off and then just add some water to wash off the dust and they will look normal without being too clean like a rock tumbler will.

Picture before cleaning[attachment 107711 clad.jpg]
Picture of clad after cleaning [attachment 107712 clad2.jpg]
Picture of pennies after cleaning [attachment 107713 pennies.jpg]

That's what i'm talkin' bout...

I'll be gettting a small tumbler and a vibrating tumlbler.

Julien

n/t

Is your paper money as valuable as silver coin? Not here... not even close..

J

i think he means silver colored clad coins - man thats a lot of work. Tumbler is much easier. You might want to get some of that Flitz for the vibratory tumbler - have also heard of jewelers using stainless steel pellets in the vibratory tumbler but i've never tried it yet.

Good day jbow, I have not thought along those lines , I just dig it out, bring it home , wire buff it , if it needs it .write it up in my book and put it into the little bank bags ready to take to the bank. But your right, I will make enquiries about the value of the metal in them. The composition of our silver coins is 75% copper, 25% nickel and the gold coins is 92% copper, 6% aluminium, 2% nickel, so their probably not worth much, as material cost. BUT, i looked in a coin book , and some of the early ones, ( around 1966, when our decimal coins started ) are worth up to 10 to 20 times there face values. So i will have to be a lot more careful of what i wire buff

I think he thought you were talking about coins made of silver as opposed to silver colored modern coins (what we call clad here) - common clad and paper are only worth their face value, otherwise people will hoard the more valuable one - the reason you almost never see the older silver coins in your change.