Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you scrub the coil oir leave an air gap?

michaelnc

I'm new to the SE Pro and got spanked last time out. I found a silver ring, 4 wheaties and some clad but my hunting buddies found like 8 silver coins. I realize my coil didn't go over those coins but I need to know if I should leave an air gap due to field conditions and stubble. With my Fisher machines in the past I was a coil scrubber just wanted to know if I should do the same with the Minelab.

Thanks,

Shane

I keep the coil along the ground. Not pressing it into the ground but definitely not hovering. The closer the coil is to the ground, the deeper you will go. There are situations that require adaptation, i.e. stubble fields, rocky terrain and so forth.

Your speed with the Explorer will need to be slower. I went from using a CZ-6a for several years to an Explorer XS for the last 9 or so and had to consciously slow down my sweep speed. The nice thing is that despite the slower sweep speed, I found a lot more good stuff.

Good luck,

Rich (Utah)

The only time I don't scrub is over rocks and dog poop . I use coil covers all the time and I don't bang my coils into things .
Scrubbing is easier on the arm and shoulder for me as I am an older guy and the Explorer is heavy enough already .

H H ,
George

It all depends on the situation, but I am definitely a "scrubber". Mainly in real trashy areas. It also takes weight off the machine as stated above. I only use a cover on my joey coil b/c it is easy to seal the cover to the coil, but on my other coils I don't use a cover. The reason why is the type of soil we hunt around here is full of iron and when that material gets trapped in the cover it can mess up your machine and you never know it.

I have an SE with pro coil and I believe in surface contact. I don't use pressure but I definately skim the surface when possible - gives slightly better depth and consistency in the sweeps.
Even in the woods if it's leafy I skim. As was said by the others, some conditions make this impossible but it does make a difference - especially when searching for those "whispers".
Bruce in Ct

I'm a scrubber too, and was a slow sweep Fisher CZ user for years, but I don't think the distance from the top of the ground is as important with the SE as:
1) sweep speed
2) keeping the coil flat and parallel to the ground
3) short to moderate length sweeps
4) overlapping sweeps

man this site is something!!! i learn something everytime i come here. i have always hunted with my coil about 3 to 4" off the ground. i pasted up alot i guess.
thanks everyone !!!!

I'll scrub as long as I can do it fairly smoothly - lawn, dirt, gravel, tot lot chips.
If the ground is too rocky, uneven, then I'll raise up to what ever it takes to get a good sweep.

If using a coil cover, I have to remove and clean the debris more often that can find it's way between the coil and cover. I have had dirt with enough mineralization to skew smooth operation. I usually use the stock coil & Sun Ray X-5 Stealth coils on my EX-II. I could seal it or go without, but it don't bother me. I have a couple of coils for some other detectors without covers and I have never actually wore one out. Have a couple that got scratchy looking, but they still work fine. One of my coils for another detector (spider-spoke design), I had sprayed a few coats of bed liner material that is used for the truck beds, on the bottom of the coil. Did not notice any negative effects and it has held up well so far, but I don't really use that detector & coil much.

I have had a couple coils bang out a tone when it was bumped. Have to be a little more careful with those, or get new replacements if they are annoying enough.

From years ago, the detectors I had didn't get great depth, so I had got into the habit of scrubbing the ground whenever I can - and still doing it without any thought. Just wish the silver coins were more plentiful like years ago.

It depends on the location.

I'm a scrubber (or maybe more of a "glide on the top of it" type user) is in grass, leaves, dirt with no rocks or debris I'm a scrubber - or maybe more of a "floater on the top of".

And I Nick A has given you some great advise as to why.

The main thing to keeping close is that for each additional one inch (+1") of air between the bottom of the coil and the ground is minus one inch (-1") of target scan depth.

In other words if you've got a 12" coil in theory you should be able find targets 12" into the bare ground. Now let's start with the math:

The grass is 3" tall and thick so you ride on top:, so 12" - 3" = 9" is now your maximum depth target.

Raise your coil 3" off of the ground: 9" - 3" = 6" is now your maximum depth target.

So ya, keep'er low and slow.

Getting back on subject: The only time I'm not a scrubber/floater is when I'm detecting in stubble, fallen limbs or debris, or where there's a lot of dirt clods. And even then, between the rows or clods I dive to the deck and I also move a lot of limbs and stuff out of the way to get to the deck too. But when I can't get to the deck I push her as low as I can go without hanging up or bumping the sides of the coil into stuff.

-
DM

Glad that I read this forum tonight. I'm an Excal II user and normally hold my coil about 1" above the ground. From now on, I'll try the floating method and will report my results next week.
Thanks everyone and HH to all.
Digger