Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does Electroscopes work?

sidney

I was reading my new American Digger today and I saw an ad for a electroscope they are a long range metal detectors.

Can anyone tell me if they really work? Have you used one before and found anything of good.

Should I get one or save my money?

There are people willing to pay big money to anyone who can prove that they work........... the money has never been claimed. :shrug:

Possibly one of the 'biggest' cons in the detecting arena,most folks will give the same answer,if they are as good as they make them out in the adverts we would all be using one,how many have you seen being used ?? none,i think that gives you some indication,of course i could be wrong but i certainly would never get one.

The trouble is some folks must have bought some,then found out they are basically just a box with a battery inside and a few flashing lights,looks good in theory but thats about all.

Of course this is just my personal opinion,the rest of the forum may own one :rofl:

n/t

I wouldn't buy one, but just a couple of days ago (for real) I was driving into town and spotted 2 guys from the water company, they had the truck parked next to the road and one was out there walking with a bent wire looking for water lines.

I wish I would have had time to stop and talk to them.

He was heading for guard rail on the side of the road, he may have locked on to that. LOL

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
I wouldn't buy one, but just a couple of days ago (for real) I was driving into town and spotted 2 guys from the water company, they had the truck parked next to the road and one was out there walking with a bent wire looking for water lines.

He was heading for guard rail on the side of the road, he may have locked on to that. LOL

Ron in WV
About 20 years ago I was in maintenance at an apartment complex. We had a major plumbing company at our complex who had pulled our site diagrams looking for a sewer clean out as we had 5-6 buildings flooded. There was even a backhoe that had dug a major portion near one building, hitting an electrical line which sounded like a huge explosion. We all rushed over and everyone was OK. Jokingly, I saw a forked branch on the ground and said I would find it. To my surprise, the branch shot down between two apartments near the sidewalks, tearing the bark and scratching my hands. The other guys started laughing, with one of them thrusting a sharpshooter in the ground where I pointed. The laughing stopped when he heard a "clank" sound about 6" down. After returning to the office and reporting I had found the clean out, the manager wanted to know how. My maintenance foreman replied, "You don't wanna know."

slingshot said:
WV62 said:

Ron in WV
About 20 years ago I was in maintenance at an apartment complex. We had a major plumbing company at our complex who had pulled our site diagrams looking for a sewer clean out as we had 5-6 buildings flooded. There was even a backhoe that had dug a major portion near one building, hitting an electrical line which sounded like a huge explosion. We all rushed over and everyone was OK. Jokingly, I saw a forked branch on the ground and said I would find it. To my surprise, the branch shot down between two apartments near the sidewalks, tearing the bark and scratching my hands. The other guys started laughing, with one of them thrusting a sharpshooter in the ground where I pointed. The laughing stopped when he heard a "clank" sound about 6" down. After returning to the office and reporting I had found the clean out, the manager wanted to know how. My maintenance foreman replied, "You don't wanna know."

Cool, you should have sent that stick out and had it bronze platted and hung it on the wall.
Ron in WV

The same guy that invented this thing, Thomas Afilani, has other companies.
I think he might have passed away but a partner and his son are running them now and looking for treasure is not the only area he had expertise in.
He also invented an animal tracker for hunters that could pinpoint animal's heartbeats from far away, underground or hiding in dense forests.
Evidently gullible treasure hunters are the only ones on the planet that believe his marketing hype and pseudo-science claims because he sold some...for thousands of dollars.
The next logical step was to turn this into a lifesaving tool for use by professionals, firemen, earthquake volunteers looking for survivors in rubble, avalanche victims and more.
DLK Lifeguard is the name of the company that makes these, the units they make sell between 7-$14,000.
Despite their claims that they work well, including a few so called professionals quoted in their promotional literature that said they work at an 80-100% success rate, in double blind real scientific testing the actual success rate of finding living animals or human beings behind walls, in buildings or buried in the ground or rubble was proved to be no better than the hit and miss method of just guessing.

The same thing is told to anyone that buys any of these rippoffs that complain they don't actually work...you have to learn to use them correctly, just anyone off the street might not be able to do it so keep trying, even if it takes years to get to that level of expertise.
And oh yea, by the way, no refunds.

It is sad that companies like this get away with this and have been for so long.
Sadder still that people believe them.

They certainly do work as designed. They are designed to separate you from your hard earned dollars. Any company that sells that Junk is showing just how greedy they have become. (No returns and they will tell you that you are not operating it correctly)

I can take two pieces of bent ( L shaped ) copper wire and find just as much or more than you will with one of those very expensive gadgets.

Just my Not so humble opinion. I try to avoid doing business with any company that sells that stuff.

Larry (IL) said:
....There are people willing to pay big money to anyone who can prove that they work........... the money has never been claimed. :shrug:

You think that means anything ? They could be QUITE successful in their mind's eyes. But simply don't feel the need to go running around the nation to proving things to any skeptics. Besides, the LRL folks will claim: The test proposed are bound to be rigged, unfair impossible test conditions, etc.... And suppose for a moment that one of the LRL'rs DID agree to such a test. And let's say they failed. That would only mean that, that day, there must have been sun spots, EMI cycle-20 air-wave interference , or someone with a magnetic in their pocket close by, that foiled the test.

Hence your citation of past challenges and/or possible failures of those, means nothing to whether or not they actually work.

Mega said:
... Possibly one of the 'biggest' cons in the detecting arena,most folks will give the same answer,if they are as good as they make them out in the adverts we would all be using one,how many have you seen being used ?? none ....

This retort is non-sustainable. Let me give you an example analogy: Metal detector advertisements are often shown next to pictures of gold coins, cool CW buckles, rings, etc... Right ? And perhaps even a few testimonials of md'rs who found such things, right ? But using your logic, those claims can't possibly be true. Because if it were, then EVERYONE would be using metal detectors. Yet it's just a few old retired farts you see now and then plying a sand box or beach. But otherwise, normal sentient people are not out doing that. Hence, the claims must be false then.

Mega said:
... The trouble is some folks must have bought some,then found out they are basically just a box with a battery inside and a few flashing lights,looks good in theory but thats about all...

Ah, the old "pinball machine parts inside" claim, eh ? That too falls on deaf ears and has a quick answer you can't get past: While your engineers who took it apart and examined it , might CLAIM it's unscientific (ie.: has no working parts that actually do anything), yet it's only because it's UN-DISCOVERED science. Example: Didn't top scientists at one time say heavier-than-air flight was impossible ? Didn't top scientists at one time say the earth was flat ? Hence your argument will fall on deaf ears to the LRL crowd. Sorry.

slingshot said:
....Mel Fisher even had professional dowsers and found them not to work.

Oh this is much too easy. The OP's question here was about LRL devices. Not dowsing. So the LRL crowd would distance themselves from any such statistics. Because aftrall, their devices have a battery in them, diodes, wires, capacitors, chips, dials, gauges, etc.....

WV62 said:
.... spotted 2 guys from the water company, they had the truck parked next to the road and one was out there walking with a bent wire looking for water lines......

Whenever the topic comes up on a metal detecting forum, someone is sure to come on citing success they've seen @ water dowsing (with a forked stick or coat hanger or whatever). And at a certain point you have to ask yourself: So what ? I mean, last I checked, this a metal detecting forum, right ? Not a "water detecting" forum. So that's another topic altogether. And last I checked, most of us here were looking for coins, metal , etc... When/if we want water, we go to our spigot and turn the handle.

REVIER said:
.... DLK Lifeguard is the name of the company that makes these, the units they make sell between 7-$14,000.
Despite their claims that they work well, including a few so called professionals quoted in their promotional literature that said they work at an 80-100% success rate, in double blind real scientific testing the actual success rate of finding living animals or human beings behind walls, in buildings or buried in the ground or rubble was proved to be no better than the hit and miss method of just guessing.....

Isn't that the outfit that was making drug and explosive device scanners, that the military of some countries were actually buying ? Like to use at their airports to detect persons trying to board a plain with explosives, drugs, weapons, etc.... (in the same fashion that airport screening TSA does here in the USA, and so forth).

Humorously, even though the units were supposedly take apart, reverse engineered, and debunked, yet ... there were lots of agencies who had bought them, that stood strongly besides them ! They swore up and down that their success rate statistics at catching such contraband, had indeed risen since starting to use those machines !

Ok wise guy, how do you explain their successes then, if the machines don't work ? HHHAARRUuummpphh! :)

GeorgeinSC said:
They certainly do work as designed. They are designed to separate you from your hard earned dollars. Any company that sells that Junk is showing just how greedy they have become. (No returns and they will tell you that you are not operating it correctly)

I can take two pieces of bent ( L shaped ) copper wire and find just as much or more than you will with one of those very expensive gadgets.

Just my Not so humble opinion. I try to avoid doing business with any company that sells that stuff.

Huh ? So too can the same claims be laid at the feet of metal detector manufacturers. I mean, sheesk, we ALL know people who bought metal detectors, went out , and found nothing valuable. We read their laments all the time on forums: "Bought my first detector. But all I find is bits of wire, some metal slag, a few pulltabs, etc... This hobby is for the birds. I never find anything". And the machine promptly ends up in the closet.

So what's to stop those disgruntled users who abandoned the desire to detect, from saying the same things you're saying ? The the md'r companies "merely want to separate you from your money" ?

And if your answer is, that there's plenty of successful md'rs who can indeed show the proofs of the ability of md'rs to perform as claimed: Be prepared for the vicious circle: SO TOO can the LRL people and their advertisements point to successes at well ! Afterall, haven't you ever seen the cool ads in the magazines, of the guys posing next to a jar of gold coins ? Afterall, photographs don't lie! So haarrruuummmppphhh :)

Tom_in_CA said:
WV62 said:
.... spotted 2 guys from the water company, they had the truck parked next to the road and one was out there walking with a bent wire looking for water lines......

Whenever the topic comes up on a metal detecting forum, someone is sure to come on citing success they've seen @ water dowsing (with a forked stick or coat hanger or whatever). And at a certain point you have to ask yourself: So what ? I mean, last I checked, this a metal detecting forum, right ? Not a "water detecting" forum. So that's another topic altogether. And last I checked, most of us here were looking for coins, metal , etc... When/if we want water, we go to our spigot and turn the handle.

Well Tom in CA, I don't think I said anything about looking for water, I am pretty sure I said water lines. As far as I know most of our larger water lines are made of metal. Seems you have a burr under your saddle for several of the post on this thread.

Sorry I hijacked this thread, Tom in CA you can take it from here.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
..... I don't think I said anything about looking for water, I am pretty sure I said water lines. As far as I know most of our larger water lines are made of metal. ....

Correct. But what runs THROUGH those "metal" water lines ? Water. Consider that water dowsers will likewise claim success at finding places to drill for natural water (ie.: not running through metal pipes). So their "craft" then, is not seeking metal, but seeking water.

And let's just grant for a moment that the person had indeed dowsed for metal, in order to find the water lines: Ok then, that just opens up another can of worms that this thread isn't about: "Can dowsing me used to find metal treasure or not ?". However, this thread was about LRL's. Which, yes, are a close-cousin of dowsing. But I've found that a lot of LRL folks try to distance themselves from dowsing (coat hangers, tree-twigs, etc...) so that they are not lumped into the "hocus pocus" mystical implications. Ie.: by having electrical components inside , they can add an illusion of having it be a close cousin to detecting, not dowsing.

GeorgeinSC said:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WV62 said:
Tom_in_CA said:
WV62 said:

Well Tom in CA, I don't think I said anything about looking for water, I am pretty sure I said water lines. As far as I know most of our larger water lines are made of metal. Seems you have a burr under your saddle for several of the post on this thread.

Sorry I hijacked this thread, Tom in CA you can take it from here.

Ron in WV

Even that does not work in a double blind test. lOl