Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does size matter ...:crylol:

Dirtyray

Would you say the smaller coil reaches the same depth as the bigger coils or is it the bigger the coil just to cover more of an area ?

Generally yes, but many other factors like the amount of trash, mineralization and EMI also comes into play.

MANDAD76 said:
Yes....bigger goes deeper...LOL!!!

Not always, when you have a bunch of mineralization in the ground that larger coil can be overwhelmed and not punch down like a smaller coil. The 10" d2 or the 10x12" SEF do really good in those areas compared to the 12x15".

My wife thought I could penetrate deeper if I had a bigger one.......so she bought me a super 12 coil for my M6.:thumbup:

Nauti Neil said:
My wife thought I could penetrate deeper if I had a bigger one.......so she bought me a super 12 coil for my M6.:thumbup:

Yeah, 12 inches is a foot - that should be ample.

As a general rule, smaller coils do not go deeper than a larger coil.

I have yet to a see a small, say 5" coil, hit targets deeper than a larger, say 8" coil.

Small coils were made specifically to allow operation in areas with high target volume to allow for easier seperation and to fit in tight areas larger coils can't function, such as areas where there is a lot of scrub brush. My work with smaller coils also shows that especially when using higher frequencies, they have greater senstivity to very small targets as opposed to a larger coil.

Since many hunters work in high trash areas, I think many get a false impression that the smaller coil is going deeper. It is simply a matter of the smaller coil recovering faster since it is covering less area and is hitting targets masked by the use of a larger coil.

9 out of 10 women will say yes. So,,,,, size does matter.

Rainyday101 said:
9 out of 10 women will say yes. So,,,,, size does matter.

And 9 out of 10 men will say that size does not matter, it depends on the sensitivity.

Of course it depends on your sample group. Many younger woman do not have the patience to develop the keen sense that it requires to "feel with their ears the subtle changes". Older more mature woman have put the time in and experienced what a smaller one can do.

If you want a bigger one you can always buy it or just get good with what you got.... I am very happy with my selection and have every size covered other than a really big one. My wife often borrows my larger ones and she does great with them, she is often dissatisfied with the depth of the medium size ones. The 9.5" is her go to one , but on special occasions she will use my big one, the SEF12x15.

well i took some advice today and moved up a little to the 6x10DD And had a blast now i did change my audio on my v3i and WOW IVE GOT A LOUD HUMMMMM BUT I DID OK FOR THE DAY..Need to put my 12x15 on and run it in this NEVER PICK LONG TERM CAMP The camp fires after camp fires is just wow..i spent more time on my knees :lmfao: today than i walked but after the hunt from the day before WIND WIND AND A BLANK 5 HOUR HUNT THAT HAD NOT ONE BEEP...this was AWESOME...

It sounds like your threshold volume is too high, did you try to adjust it?

yes i adjusted it and it was alot better ...i ran into a great spot ..the bad news is ive known about this for sometime now and never really hit it untill now ..-3 out right now GOD I WANNA GO TODAY HAHAHA

It also see's more ground so if the ground is hot a smaller coil will usually go deeper to a certain point. Like a 8'' coil compared to a 11'' coil. IMHO.

Harold said:
It also see's more ground so if the ground is hot a smaller coil will usually go deeper to a certain point. Like a 8'' coil compared to a 11'' coil. IMHO.
Everyone must have another type of ground because out here ive never ran into a "HOT ROCK" OR GROUND...Could someone explain this to me please.Maybe i have ran into it before just didnt know i had...What do i do if i happen to run into something like this ...

It's too bad this has to be my first post fellas,but as far as coils go.....as I say when comparing the double D to my 5.3 BM,"long and thin gets it in but short and thick does the trick":)