Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the EQ have a rusty nail falsing bounce pattern?

Charles (Upstate NY)

Those of you who own Explorers most likely know that when a rusty nail is falsing high they exhibit a very specific bounce pattern between two locations on the screen (two TID's). First location, low iron tones (ferrous tone mode) cursor at the extreme top/left of the screen, 3/4 of the cursor off the screen its buried in the top/left corner. Second location when falsing high, high tones (ferrous tone mode) cursor at the extreme right edge of the screen near silver half dollars, cursor half off the right edge of the screen, down from the top edge of the screen about 1/4 inch or a bit more. Rusty nails falsing on an Explorer so reliably bounce between these two TID's that avoiding rusty nails is pretty easy. If a target is bouncing like this its only one of two things, a rusty nail or a silver half dollar.

Any deviation from this rusty nail behavior, its textbook bounce pattern is an indication that there is a coin or some other target hiding next to the iron. Sweeping the target when its falsing high on the right side of the screen if you start seeing the cursor occasionally bounce over towards coin locations like a silver dime, Indian Head cent, up and a bit left or down and a bit left, all are indications of two targets rusty nail plus something else.

Little known trick, you can also look for deviations when the cursor bounces back to the left side of the screen. Most people ignore those hits, or even have them discriminated out, but incredibly silver and other targets can hide over near the extreme top/left of the screen. The clue to a target hiding in iron over there is again any deviation from that textbook top/left screen. If a target is landing a bit to the right or down from that corner, or right and down even a little bit, there's two targets there. Probably the most extreme example of this I ever dug was a silver Spanish half reale which was both deep and buried in rusty nails.

My EQ800 arrives tomorrow. I'm hoping its as reliable in its TID on rusty nails as the Explorer, what say you?

No smart screen on the EQ buddy....:) Single numbers.

That is true charles sometimes you will get 21 to 39 which is iron or you can have 21 to 30 which is a good target still working on it . sube

I suspected as much. I try to use all the information the machine will give me, tone pitch, mixed tones, fluty tones, FLAT MONO TONED tones, strength of the tones, shape of the tone as I sweep over the target, changing shape of the tone as I sweep the target from a different angle, odd tone behaviors like POPS as the coil comes off the target, and that's just the tones. I realize I lose the 2 axis visual target information I have on the Se Pro, which blows by the way. Minelab hurry up and build a new Explorer with the EQ technology. But I'm going to try to make the most of what visual information the EQ can feed me. If that's bouncing behaviors between TID numbers I'll take it. Won't be as easy to read on the EQ as it is on the Explorer smart find screen but something is better than nothing.

Here's a thought Charles select 5 tones and you adjust your tone break so that it splits your iron "bounce" audibly that way you won't be required to look at the screen as much. I haven't tried this yet but it sound good in theory :shrug:

One thing I have figured out with the Equinox is the audio is my number one deciding factor on whether to dig or not to dig. jmo

Laplander

laplander said:
Here's a thought Charles select 5 tones and you adjust your tone break so that it splits your iron "bounce" audibly that way you won't be required to look at the screen as much. I haven't tried this yet but it sound good in theory :shrug:

One thing I have figured out with the Equinox is the audio is my number one deciding factor on whether to dig or not to dig. jmo

Laplander

Excellent idea I'll give it a shot. I'm going to test my Sunray Gold headphones vs the ML wireless, for tone quality.

Now if Fedex will just deliver the EQ arrgh! I waited at home ALL DAY because it requires a signature, at 4:30pm Fedex up and changes the delivery date to tomorrow. :ranting:

To me....... it was more about running AM and lowing the volume on iron than the tone breaks. Running disc at say -2 you still get bleed from the iron high tones in the second bin (small gold) which can be annoying........... AM it seems to place it back in the first bin (iron). Also..... its a bit different on iron in the salt water. It could just be because of the reduced sensitivity in Beach modes causing less wrap around. To me we are getting the wrap around in the next bin as opposed to other machines where it might be in the high bin if you know what im saying.

I was at an old late 1700's Spanish era site in California with the Equinox 800, running 50 tones in Field2, and was digging some deeper nails (some of it was more like iron wire), but noticed that when I got the high tone on the nails/wire the TID would flash into the high 30's (iron wrap-around?).

I'm still learning it, and at an old, hard hit site like that, you tend to dig everything. I did get a beautiful, faint silver warble high tone there that hunt, it was hitting in the low 30's, sounded like the flutey silver sound on the Explorer2, even the pinpoint was faint, and at 10"-11" deep I dug a nice 1838 seated dime! I was pretty happy with that, and when I showed my hunt buddy the coin and told him exactly where I dug it, he couldn't believe it, he said "We've pounded the snot out of that spot, cannot believe you dug that!".

My sites are either too dang hot or overgrown this summer, so I'm patiently awaiting fall/winter/spring to detect my favorite sites, but Charles I'll be curious if you're able to figure out how to ID deep nail falsing on the EQ like you did with the Explorer.

Cal_Cobra said:
I was at an old late 1700's Spanish era site in California with the Equinox 800, running 50 tones in Field2, and was digging some deeper nails (some of it was more like iron wire), but noticed that when I got the high tone on the nails/wire the TID would flash into the high 30's (iron wrap-around?).

I'm still learning it, and at an old, hard hit site like that, you tend to dig everything. I did get a beautiful, faint silver warble high tone there that hunt, it was hitting in the low 30's, sounded like the flutey silver sound on the Explorer2, even the pinpoint was faint, and at 10"-11" deep I dug a nice 1838 seated dime! I was pretty happy with that, and when I showed my hunt buddy the coin and told him exactly where I dug it, he couldn't believe it, he said "We've pounded the snot out of that spot, cannot believe you dug that!".

My sites are either too dang hot or overgrown this summer, so I'm patiently awaiting fall/winter/spring to detect my favorite sites, but Charles I'll be curious if you're able to figure out how to ID deep nail falsing on the EQ like you did with the Explorer.

Excellent post Cobra. I'll keep an eye out for what you saw on iron falsing. Its those odd behaviors that can help reduce the amount of iron dug. Congrats on your seated dime. I have yet to take my EQ800 out to hunt, still doing testing at home.

Great topic and great replies.I will add that I seem to dig more iron with my 600 when I'm running a recovery of three then I do when I run recovery of two. I also Doug more iron in park 1 then I do using field 2