Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the Nox leak from modifications

DigDog

So its being discussed i another thread that the Nox control box can leak from not build but modifications done by the user such as putting on a new or different shaft.
And another thread was started wondering old vs new Nox because of leaking issues
So asking because maybe they don’t leak from factory build and are safer than thought using in water. So how many that have had leaks did things like change the shaft.
For example one said.

“A guy that I know has an aftermarket shaft and the brass inserts that hold the two halves together on the handle came loose”
Another
“Sometimes I wonder if people’s modifications new shafts cause them to leak”
Maybe we stumbled across a possible cause. Like to know from those that have had the issue. Personally I can’t see how a shaft can cause a control box leak unless you accidentally damage it, but if thats the case then alot of people damaged their box in the modification?
That would be great news for still getting a older Nox

I think they just leak which probably skews the numbers away from the ones that just break. My most frequent hunting buddy and I have had 4 and 2 broke without ever getting wet. Both were on warranty , he is still using his second but I sold my second so I don't know if it that one has broken yet or not. That's a 50% failure rate ,,,at least

So its being discussed i another thread that the Nox control box can leak from not build but modifications done by the user such as putting on a new or different shaft.
And another thread was started wondering old vs new Nox because of leaking issues
So asking because maybe they don’t leak from factory build and are safer than thought using in water. So how many that have had leaks did things like change the shaft.
For example one said.

“A guy that I know has an aftermarket shaft and the brass inserts that hold the two halves together on the handle came loose”
Another
“Sometimes I wonder if people’s modifications new shafts cause them to leak”
Maybe we stumbled across a possible cause. Like to know from those that have had the issue. Personally I can’t see how a shaft can cause a control box leak unless you accidentally damage it, but if thats the case then alot of people damaged their box in the modification?
That would be great news for still getting a older Nox
I have heard that argument. But everyone has seen the video showing it leaking around small cracks close to the charging port. There are probably other places it leaked.
If it did leak because of changing the shaft, why was the shaft changed? Because of poor build quality.
Bottom line is that, we didn't get a product of the quality Minelab was once known for.
Now with the 700, 900 and Manticore, hopefully they have it right. I will be very surprised if they don't.
The big problem is, we paid for it to be right when we bought the 600 and 800.
I will not elaborate on this at all but: The problems with the 600 and 800 are real. Why do you think think they made some many changes on the 700, 900, and Manticore? Making a waterproof detector that was actually waterproof this time around was one of their biggest concerns. Now, I will say that this is only my opinion. But I have a good reason for my opinion.

I think they just leak which probably skews the numbers away from the ones that just break. My most frequent hunting buddy and I have had 4 and 2 broke without ever getting wet. Both were on warranty , he is still using his second but I sold my second so I don't know if it that one has broken yet or not. That's a 50% failure rate ,,,at least
I don't mean to offend park hunters, I wish I had a nice old park to hunt. But unless you only hunt parks or you just detect occasionally, I'd say the chances of using an Equinox for 3 years without a build quality failure is slim.
I don't know of a YouTuber I watch that hasn't had a failure. Most have had multiple failures of water intrusion and coil ears breaking.

I think it's interesting how many of the Minelab fanboys and supporters have been giving NM a ratio of ---- over the number of Legend updates/improvements and denying there any issues with the NOX until ML came out with their more expensive improved models. I think it's to NM's credit that they could improve on a solid construction design with software improvements but Minelab's construction flaws went unattended.

I don't mean to offend park hunters, I wish I had a nice old park to hunt. But unless you only hunt parks or you just detect occasionally, I'd say the chances of using an Equinox for 3 years without a build quality failure is slim.
I don't know of a YouTuber I watch that hasn't had a failure. Most have had multiple failures of water intrusion and coil ears breaking.
I wish I had old parks to hunt as well but just more modern ones and an occasional old house or demo. I get out 4 or 5 times a week as did my buddy when the NOX came out. My first one failed the first week with a black dead spot in the screen. He used his first with no incidents for a couple of years and then had a button failure , I think it was the power or frequency button , don't remember. I think his replacement came with a two year warranty on the control pod so he is now off warranty but bad knees and age have slowed his hunting down.

I think it's interesting how many of the Minelab fanboys and supporters have been giving NM a ratio of ---- over the number of Legend updates/improvements and denying there any issues with the NOX until ML came out with their more expensive improved models. I think it's to NM's credit that they could improve on a solid construction design with software improvements but Minelab's construction flaws went unattended.
IMO, if we were talking about a NM product, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The issues would have been resolved.

You can put me down as a Minelab fanboy. I hunt parks,beanfields,cornfields, and the occasional hayfield. I am not a water hunter. Never had a coil ear break or a glitch with my 600. I take pretty good care of it and don't swing it like a weed whip in fields. If it poops out on me I will get another Minelab. Not a NM copy....

I have heard that argument. But everyone has seen the video showing it leaking around small cracks close to the charging port. There are probably other places it leaked.
If it did leak because of changing the shaft, why was the shaft changed? Because of poor build quality.
Bottom line is that, we didn't get a product of the quality Minelab was once known for.
Now with the 700, 900 and Manticore, hopefully they have it right. I will be very surprised if they don't.
The big problem is, we paid for it to be right when we bought the 600 and 800.
I will not elaborate on this at all but: The problems with the 600 and 800 are real. Why do you think think they made some many changes on the 700, 900, and Manticore? Making a waterproof detector that was actually waterproof this time around was one of their biggest concerns. Now, I will say that this is only my opinion. But I have a good reason for my opinion.
Good point.
I just don’t understand its been out for 5 years I guess and they never did anything to correct it unless they just produced all of them at once in the beginning before it was apparent.
Maybe they just wanted to roll the dice and only warranty the ones that actually leaked as not everyone would use them around water. Im sure it came down to a financial decision

You can put me down as a Minelab fanboy. I hunt parks,beanfields,cornfields, and the occasional hayfield. I am not a water hunter. Never had a coil ear break or a glitch with my 600. I take pretty good care of it and don't swing it like a weed whip in fields. If it poops out on me I will get another Minelab. Not a NM copy....
I'm a ML technology fanboy myself , swear by both an etrac and a CTX . I just think the company management is atrocious.

Good point.
I just don’t understand its been out for 5 years I guess and they never did anything to correct it unless they just produced all of them at once in the beginning before it was apparent.
Maybe they just wanted to roll the dice and only warranty the ones that actually leaked as not everyone would use them around water. Im sure it came down to a financial decision
Remind you at all of a Ford Pinto? Cheaper to pay the lawsuits then recall the product!!
The Go-Find was Minelab's Edsel .

I'm a ML technology fanboy myself , swear by both an etrac and a CTX . I just think the company management is atrocious.
The technology is topshelf no doubt.

Exactly what i just said.
But for some its a scapegoat to deflect the attention away from the their own problem. Thing is some won’t even admit the apparent realities and always point fingers instead. It would be one thing and more notable and respected if they at least accepted the actual facts and pointed out everything equally.
So lets put it in the public square and find out what is really going on. Im sure the same ones will spin and deflect.

Well....Nokta had quite a while to study the Equinox and find and fix the flaws....🦨
And ML added 4khz a flashlight and vibrating handle NM had first.
If NM legend is a copy why are you spending 2x more for the same thing 🤣
Geesh just buy what you want and stop
complaining. Only one of anything is not good for anyone so why keep going about this whole copying thing. Unless you are just sore for paying 2x more than some other people
Let me ask you did you bring it up when they sued whites, or XP, or fisher or do you just have something against NM

Didn't know they sued all of those other companies. And you are the one sticking up for Nokta....How many threads you got going now? I have owned my 600 for a while and it has been problem free. I also have 4khz on my old unit. Do your research when that came out. Maybe Minelab said one good theft of intellectual property deserves another and got the vibrating handle and flashlight. Or did that come from a cellphone? I am almost done with this thread...See ya! Nokta fanboy!:poop:

Didn't know they sued all of those other companies. And you are the one sticking up for Nokta....How many threads you got going now? I have owned my 600 for a while and it has been problem free. I also have 4khz on my old unit. Do your research when that came out. Maybe Minelab said one good theft of intellectual property deserves another and got the vibrating handle and flashlight. Or did that come from a cellphone? I am almost done with this thread...See ya! Nokta fanboy!:poop:
Ted you got it wrong again
Not sticking up for NM i just call balls and strikes
Yes ML sued every competitor ,that says something , if NM did that i would say something as well
NM has speaker and some software issues with latest model
ML has leaking and coil issues with latest models
Least you could do is admit that in a non bias manner.
The thing about ML yes they have great detectors( see I admit it) they are overpriced and the company has some poor business practices.
Im no fanboy of anyone or anything, just logical common sense. perhaps because i don’t stick up for ML on real issues and call it out you take issues with that but if i don’t stick up for NM and called them out its ok? Got to be fair all across the board. Who’s the real bias fanboy out there.
And one last thing you said you were done couple days ago and here we are again.
People bring a can of worms open it up and then cry and wonder why worms get all over the table
I don’t mean anything in bad faith Ted i really don’t but come on man. Lol

Not sure what all the problem is about it breaking, it was a small problem at best-

I broke a few coils and cuffs, and ML replaced them for free and promptly. I am hard on the detector, and one coil was broken because I closed the car door on it and jammed it back, and ML STILL replaced it. Cant's saw that for many products. I sold my first one before the warranty ran out and bought a new one. 3 years and hundreds of hours ain't bad

Not sure what all the problem is about it breaking, it was a small problem at best-

I broke a few coils and cuffs, and ML replaced them for free and promptly. I am hard on the detector, and one coil was broken because I closed the car door on it and jammed it back, and ML STILL replaced it. Cant's saw that for many products. I sold my first one before the warranty ran out and bought a new one. 3 years and hundreds of hours ain't bad
SCB I don’t think the broken coils is really a big problem to deal with or as prevalent. If you use your waterproof detector around water and it suddenly leaked because of a manufacture defect and it shorted out on you and was totally useless after they knew about the problem for years prior and never did anything about it I think you would probably look at different. Put yourself in the shoes of all those that had to deal with that issue. Now for some who have plenty of money might say no big deal ill just get another.
We tend to lose sight of things because we don’t experience them. Similar to a politician in DC who doesn’t experience every day issues many deal with