Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the Nox leak from modifications

I don't mean to offend park hunters, I wish I had a nice old park to hunt. But unless you only hunt parks or you just detect occasionally, I'd say the chances of using an Equinox for 3 years without a build quality failure is slim.
I don't know of a YouTuber I watch that hasn't had a failure. Most have had multiple failures of water intrusion and coil ears breaking.
Both my Equinox have been used HARD. They have been used for hours at a time totally submerged, the have been used in 100 degree to 20 degree wheather . They have been drag through the mud, snow, ice, rocks. Never did I have any leaking issues in either my 600 or 800. I have taught at least 9 other club members on the Nox. Not one of us had any issues with our detectors. Maybe we are all just lucky. My dealer has never had an Equinox returned for leaking issues. Maybe they do have problems with leaking but I haven’t seen it once.

If NM is so good why do so many people get a Legend and then go back to the z Equinox. Why is NM always trying to say their product is equal 2 or better than the Nox? Minelab Equinox revolutionized the detector industry, nothing can touch its power and depth so far. Hopefully my Manticore will do that.

So its being discussed i another thread that the Nox control box can leak from not build but modifications done by the user such as putting on a new or different shaft.
And another thread was started wondering old vs new Nox because of leaking issues
So asking because maybe they don’t leak from factory build and are safer than thought using in water. So how many that have had leaks did things like change the shaft.
For example one said.

“A guy that I know has an aftermarket shaft and the brass inserts that hold the two halves together on the handle came loose”
Another
“Sometimes I wonder if people’s modifications new shafts cause them to leak”
Maybe we stumbled across a possible cause. Like to know from those that have had the issue. Personally I can’t see how a shaft can cause a control box leak unless you accidentally damage it, but if thats the case then alot of people damaged their box in the modification?
That would be great news for still getting a older Nox
DigDog,

I don't mean to be too confrontational or argumentative, but -- and I said this in the other thread -- NO, we have NOT stumbled upon a possible cause for Equinox water leakage issues. PERIOD.

As I noted on the other thread -- on an Equinox, the "watertight seal" DOES NOT OCCUR at the handle-to-shaft interface. AGAIN -- if you want to prove this to yourself, take your handle apart and remove it from the shaft, and note that there is NO RUBBER GASKET OR O-RING between the two parts of the handle that fit together around the shaft. This was NEVER INTENDED, by Minelab, to be the location where the watertight seal was supposed to exist (to keep the control box from having water enter into it).

Instead, the watertight seal occurs farther up inside the handle -- at the door of the battery compartment. There are two rubber o-rings on the battery door -- which is what seals the hollow handle from the electronics (i.e. the battery, and the control box). Additionally, as I understand it, there is additional sealing between the battery compartment, and the control box itself, as would be expected.

SO -- the bottom line is that handle-to-shaft interface is NOT a "watertight seal." It was never intended to be. In fact, it is not at all unusual for folks who submerge their machines to find moisture/water droplets inside the handle. Water CAN, and DOES, enter through the handle/shaft attachment point, into the hollow part of the handle, BECAUSE -- this area is NOT watertight/sealed. AGAIN -- the WATERTIGHT SEAL located is farther up, at the battery door, where a pair of O-rings are installed. And so -- because the seal occurs well up inside the handle, at the battery compartment, using an aftermarket shaft DOES NOT, and CAN NOT, in any way, risk the "water-tightness" of your Equinox. Period.

To repeat -- since I apparently didn't make it clear enough in the other thread -- there is no "seal" that occurs at the handle/shaft attachment point, and so there's no way WHATSOEVER for your shaft -- WHATEVER shaft you are using, to be associated with leakage issues.

As a carbon-fiber shaft manufacturer, this is a big deal to me. Even having a thread like this in existence, can negatively influence those who may wish to purchase one of my shafts. And it's a bit frustrating, should that happen, when the entire premise (that a carbon shaft could cause water leakage into an Equinox control box) is entirely false, and entirely not logical. Continuing to discuss such speculations and hearsay does no one any favors -- it's a disservice to Equinox users, to my customers, and to my business.

Steve

Both my Equinox have been used HARD. They have been used for hours at a time totally submerged, the have been used in 100 degree to 20 degree wheather . They have been drag through the mud, snow, ice, rocks. Never did I have any leaking issues in either my 600 or 800. I have taught at least 9 other club members on the Nox. Not one of us had any issues with our detectors. Maybe we are all just lucky. My dealer has never had an Equinox returned for leaking issues. Maybe they do have problems with leaking but I haven’t seen it once.
No comment on your post.
I stand by what I said in another post below.
I will not elaborate on this at all but: The problems with the 600 and 800 are real. Why do you think think they made some many changes on the 700, 900, and Manticore? Making a waterproof detector that was actually waterproof this time around was one of their biggest concerns. Now, I will say that this is only my opinion. But I have a good reason for my opinion.

As a carbon-fiber shaft manufacturer, this is a big deal to me. Even having a thread like this in existence, can negatively influence those who may wish to purchase one of my shafts. And it's a bit frustrating, should that happen, when the entire premise (that a carbon shaft could cause water leakage into an Equinox control box) is entirely false, and entirely not logical. Continuing to discuss such speculations and hearsay does no one any favors -- it's a disservice to Equinox users, to my customers, and to my business.

Steve
Steve , I would have to agree with you completely that the design of the NOX makes a leak from a shaft swap most unlikely. I suppose the removal of the shaft flex could apply additional torque to the anemic control pod which could make it distort but I doubt anyone would swing their detector at that speed. The real disservice to NOX owners however was the production of a unit that required a better shaft to begin with. The real disservice to your business is the creation of the 700/900 if they have no shaft issues as the attrition to the 600/800 models will reduce/eliminate the need for your shafts on those models.

Steve , I would have to agree with you completely that the design of the NOX makes a leak from a shaft swap most unlikely. I suppose the removal of the shaft flex could apply additional torque to the anemic control pod which could make it distort but I doubt anyone would swing their detector at that speed. The real disservice to NOX owners however was the production of a unit that required a better shaft to begin with. The real disservice to your business is the creation of the 700/900 if they have no shaft issues as the attrition to the 600/800 models will reduce/eliminate the need for your shafts on those models.
Yes, the 700/900 surprised me. I fully expected the "successor" to the Equinox (whenever it would be released i.e. which is now the Manticore) would most certainly have a nice carbon-fiber shaft with proper cam locks, as there is no doubt Minelab was "paying attention" to the aftermarket companies, and the degree of customer demand for a quality carbon shaft. So I was near certain that the new machine would be outfitted properly, from a shaft perspective. But -- I was definitely shocked that they upgraded the Equinox line, with a carbon shaft, also...

I'll definitely be taking a close look at the shaft, once I receive my Manticore, and will be interested in how it "swings." At first glance, customizable lengths (including tall-man options), an array of colored options, and offering a "counterweight-ready" version of a shaft, might be the only things I could offer over and above what Minelab has come up with. But, it's going to require a bunch of new parts, and injection molds, also -- as all of the tube sizes are now different, as compared to the Equinox, as well.

Anyway, it's all good; I just would like not to have folks dissuaded from an upgrade, due to misinformed concerns about a shaft causing a leak...

Steve

So its being discussed i another thread that the Nox control box can leak from not build but modifications done by the user such as putting on a new or different shaft.
And another thread was started wondering old vs new Nox because of leaking issues
So asking because maybe they don’t leak from factory build and are safer than thought using in water. So how many that have had leaks did things like change the shaft.
For example one said.

“A guy that I know has an aftermarket shaft and the brass inserts that hold the two halves together on the handle came loose”
Another
“Sometimes I wonder if people’s modifications new shafts cause them to leak”
Maybe we stumbled across a possible cause. Like to know from those that have had the issue. Personally I can’t see how a shaft can cause a control box leak unless you accidentally damage it, but if thats the case then alot of people damaged their box in the modification?
That would be great news for still getting a older Nox
You misinterpreted what I posted on the other thread.. using another shaft did not cause the detector to leak.
I do not see any reason for it too either.
My point was that "modifications" can void the warranty.. even a shaft changeout as in this case.
If you read the warranty discloser, I'm sure you will see the part about modifications voiding the warranty...

DigDog,

I don't mean to be too confrontational or argumentative, but -- and I said this in the other thread -- NO, we have NOT stumbled upon a possible cause for Equinox water leakage issues. PERIOD.

As I noted on the other thread -- on an Equinox, the "watertight seal" DOES NOT OCCUR at the handle-to-shaft interface. AGAIN -- if you want to prove this to yourself, take your handle apart and remove it from the shaft, and note that there is NO RUBBER GASKET OR O-RING between the two parts of the handle that fit together around the shaft. This was NEVER INTENDED, by Minelab, to be the location where the watertight seal was supposed to exist (to keep the control box from having water enter into it).

Instead, the watertight seal occurs farther up inside the handle -- at the door of the battery compartment. There are two rubber o-rings on the battery door -- which is what seals the hollow handle from the electronics (i.e. the battery, and the control box). Additionally, as I understand it, there is additional sealing between the battery compartment, and the control box itself, as would be expected.

SO -- the bottom line is that handle-to-shaft interface is NOT a "watertight seal." It was never intended to be. In fact, it is not at all unusual for folks who submerge their machines to find moisture/water droplets inside the handle. Water CAN, and DOES, enter through the handle/shaft attachment point, into the hollow part of the handle, BECAUSE -- this area is NOT watertight/sealed. AGAIN -- the WATERTIGHT SEAL located is farther up, at the battery door, where a pair of O-rings are installed. And so -- because the seal occurs well up inside the handle, at the battery compartment, using an aftermarket shaft DOES NOT, and CAN NOT, in any way, risk the "water-tightness" of your Equinox. Period.

To repeat -- since I apparently didn't make it clear enough in the other thread -- there is no "seal" that occurs at the handle/shaft attachment point, and so there's no way WHATSOEVER for your shaft -- WHATEVER shaft you are using, to be associated with leakage issues.

Steve
Steve I didn’t see your post figured ide ask to see if we could get an answer.
Problem is some will still deny that the equinox has a leak issue. Maybe they haven’t experienced it themselves but put yourself someone’s shoes who is researching to buy one. Its all over the internet and these metal detector forums. For people to be in these forums and post all the time to say they never even heard about it just tells you they are full of it. Even you a ML fan and so am I don’t forget, admitted they leak.
But as ive said you are a true gentleman.

DigDog -- there's NO doubt that some Equinoxes leak. And there's no doubt that coil ears break on some Equinoxes. To claim otherwise, makes little sense to me, except if it's being said by someone who maybe doesn't spend much time on the forums or social media, and truly is unaware. Further, there's no doubt that Minelab has largely denied the issues over the past several years, and has even blamed CUSTOMERS for the issues. I have been disappointed by their decision not to be more honest and forthcoming.

But, while Minelab has NOT been honest and forthcoming about these issues, I can say for CERTAIN that it has nothing to do with shafts...

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

DigDog -- there's NO doubt that some Equinoxes leak. And there's no doubt that coil ears break on some Equinoxes. To claim otherwise, makes little sense to me, except if it's being said by someone who maybe doesn't spend much time on the forums or social media, and truly is unaware. Further, there's no doubt that Minelab has largely denied the issues over the past several years, and has even blamed CUSTOMERS for the issues. I have been disappointed by their decision not to be more honest and forthcoming.

But, while Minelab has NOT been honest and forthcoming about these issues, I can say for CERTAIN that it has nothing to do with shafts...

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve
Steve what is frustrating is that its just not ML that is not honest and forthcoming but some ML fanboys for lack of a better word. Whatever the reasons weather they have a vested interest or just in denial but the facts are very obvious and real.
As i have said just as you will call balls and strikes as seen. I have never personally experienced speaker issues with the legend for example but have heard from enough on the internet that have, so i have no problem addressing that they have had speaker problems, but here is another thing at least NM acknowledges it and has also dine stuff to correct the problem within weeks.
The other thing I don’t understand is why ML has not done anything in the last 5 years to address the leaking issue.
Im sure it all come down to money as far as the manufacture and staying with the narrative that there is no problem.
But again if they corrected it in the beginning then we wouldn’t be talking about it as a big problem years later.
The real reason they never admitted or corrected the problem is only something they would know as executive decisions. But the user’s not wanting to admit can only be denial.
Perhaps its the same reasoning when some say there is no problem at the border it’s totally secure but the numbers show otherwise.

Steve what is frustrating is that its just not ML that is not honest and forthcoming but some ML fanboys for lack of a better word. Whatever the reasons weather they have a vested interest or just in denial but the facts are very obvious and real.
As i have said just as you will call balls and strikes as seen. I have never personally experienced speaker issues with the legend for example but have heard from enough on the internet that have, so i have no problem addressing that they have had speaker problems, but here is another thing at least NM acknowledges it and has also dine stuff to correct the problem within weeks.
The other thing I don’t understand is why ML has not done anything in the last 5 years to address the leaking issue.
Im sure it all come down to money as far as the manufacture and staying with the narrative that there is no problem.
But again if they corrected it in the beginning then we wouldn’t be talking about it as a big problem years later.
The real reason they never admitted or corrected the problem is only something they would know as executive decisions. But the user’s not wanting to admit can only be denial.
Perhaps its the same reasoning when some say there is no problem at the border it’s totally secure but the numbers show otherwise.
Perhaps the Bounty Hunter Jr. TID will best suit your needs.

Attachments

• 0570BC13-E90A-45AF-8CB7-98BF3CB47670.jpeg
    0570BC13-E90A-45AF-8CB7-98BF3CB47670.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 43
Oh boy…Found some fanboys in denial.🤣
Perhaps some principles and morals can be found outside a ML manual.
No denial at all and I never once indicated otherwise. Yes, as others have mentioned there has been water intrusion on the Equinox 600/800 control pod. This intrusion has absolutely nothing to do with any type of aftermarket carbon fiber rods. You have diligently done your homework. Make a decision and move on. However it seems you goal is to fan your crap about some denying the product leaks. Who the hell cares? As far as principles and morals....this is something you may want to look into yourself. My statement: Perhaps the Bounty Hunter Jr. TID will best suit your needs. Its not a Minelab product! Lastly, Minelab has been working on addressing the leak issues for the last 5 years. Its called the Equinox 700 and 900.

Last edited:
Steve I didn’t see your post figured ide ask to see if we could get an answer.
Problem is some will still deny that the equinox has a leak issue. Maybe they haven’t experienced it themselves but put yourself someone’s shoes who is researching to buy one. Its all over the internet and these metal detector forums. For people to be in these forums and post all the time to say they never even heard about it just tells you they are full of it. Even you a ML fan and so am I don’t forget, admitted they leak.
But as ive said you are a true gentleman.
I have been reading posts on this forum long before I got my Equinox and have not seen any users deny that the detectors have an issue with water leaks.
I have however seen some state that they have used them in the water alot for long periods of time and have not had any issues... that is not denying anything.
I got my Equinox in the fall of 2019 and was fully aware of issues relating not only to water leaks, but shaft issues, coils ears breaking, and armcuffs also breaking.
I have not had mine underwater nor do I plan to for the very reason it could leak based on what I have seen others posting.
Even when the Deus 2 and Legend came out, I was curious about them as others were, but did not get either one since I happy with the results I am getting with the Equinox.
With these three new machines about to come out, I am curious about them too, but do not plan to get one anytime soon for the same reason as I stated for not getting the others mentioned.
I will be the first to admit that yes, the Equinox does have issues although I have not had any problems with mine yet.
But to keep pounding on it really makes no sense to me.
With the results I have had since getting the Equinox, if I had to do it all over again, I would hesitate.

Last edited:
I have been reading posts on this forum long before I got my Equinox and have not seen any users deny that the detectors have an issue with water leaks.
I have however seen some state that they have used them in the water alot for long periods of time and have not had any issues... that is not denying anything.
I got my Equinox in the fall of 2019 and was fully aware of issues relating not only to water leaks, but shaft issues, coils ears breaking, and armcuffs also breaking.
I have not had mine underwater nor do I plan to for the very reason it could leak based on what I have seen others posting.
Even when the Deus 2 and Legend came out, I was curious about them as others were, but did not get either one since I happy with the results I am getting with the Equinox.
With these three new machines about to come out, I am curious about them too, but do not plan to get one anytime soon for the same reason as I stated for not getting the others mentioned.
I will be the first to admit that yes, the Equinox does have issues although I have not had any problems with mine yet.
But to keep pounding on it really makes no sense to me.
With the results I have had since getting the Equinox, if I had to do it all over again, I would hesitate.
Well glad you can admit it, maybe that can rub off on a few others that keep denying it so we can all move on with the facts. just curious though you say ML is aware and they have been addressing the issue for the past 5 years by coming out with a new model 5 years later.
Hardly call that addressing the issue.
I have no interest in a bounty hunter but i do in a ML one of the main reasons i am concerned about the issue. You don’t get yours wet so its not an issue for you but be considerate of others that it matters.
It also appears others keep on going with “ problems” with the NM legend but no need for them to move on I suppose?

The rest i just deleted, you know
Im not stooping down to the same level
I will just say try not to be bias
There are some ML fans who are in denial but keep going on and on about NM.sticking up for those your not being any better. Why don’t you call them out?
Your friends? You bias? What is it?
I openly said on here one time.
“ ill make you a deal, you stop going on and on about how NM sucks and i will stop mentioning ML issues “
His response was “NO way”
Its not that im just sticking up for NM as i call out all of them but why can he go o and on about NM and its ok but i say something about ML and only ML fans get in me ? Really dude, let me school you that’s called BIAS BS.

Well glad you can admit it, maybe that can rub off on a few others that keep denying it so we can all move on with the facts. just curious though you say ML is aware and they have been addressing the issue for the past 5 years by coming out with a new model 5 years later.
Hardly call that addressing the issue.
I have no interest in a bounty hunter but i do in a ML one of the main reasons i am concerned about the issue. You don’t get yours wet so its not an issue for you but be considerate of others that it matters.
It also appears others keep on going with “ problems” with the NM legend but no need for them to move on I suppose?

The rest i just deleted, you know
Im not stooping down to the same level
I will just say try not to be bias
There are some ML fans who are in denial but keep going on and on about NM.sticking up for those your not being any better. Why don’t you call them out?
Your friends? You bias? What is it?
I openly said on here one time.
“ ill make you a deal, you stop going on and on about how NM sucks and i will stop mentioning ML issues “
His response was “NO way”
Its not that im just sticking up for NM as i call out all of them but why can he go o and on about NM and its ok but i say something about ML and only ML fans get in me ? Really dude, let me school you that’s called BIAS BS.
First off, I need to make a correction to my post above.. I meant to state "With the results I have had since getting the Equinox, if I had it to all over again, I wouldn't hesitate!"
As far as the other comments you claim I stated, I did not state them!
As far as calling others out, I have no interest in that.. I also have not been bashing NM.
I have a friend that has one and seems to like it.

First off, I need to make a correction to my post above.. I meant to state "With the results I have had since getting the Equinox, if I had it to all over again, I wouldn't hesitate!"
As far as the other comments you claim I stated, I did not state them!
As far as calling others out, I have no interest in that.. I also have not been bashing NM.
I have a friend that has one and seems to like it.
Thats my whole point you have no interest in calling others out that happen to be ML only fans and bash NM but only me because i call out ML as well
Whatever man this is getting old.
Swing what you want and say what you want and i wont bother you and i will swing what i want and say what i want and don’t bother me.
But if you give me crap its only fair to expect it back.
Fair enough?