Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does your ET do this?

RacerX

Okay, it's driving me crazy!

I get a good deep (or even shallow) signal. Look down at my screen and the FE and CO numbers are not matching what I'm hearing. Lift my coil to the air until I get a threshold hum and re-try. Usually the numbers correct. Sometimes they don't for several attempts (if ever).

Talking to my hunting buddy (long time explorer user) this is typical of the EX/ET???

I know some will say dig by sound and for the most part I do but in our soil iron can sound great and I need the FE numbers to be stable so that I can decide rather to dig on those deep ones.

Any tips to ease the frustration?

For now I'm just not hunting near water so that I'm not tempted to see if an ET floats. :detecting:

Wish I could say you can fix it..but it is typical, at least with mine. Getting a threshold and re-swinging seems to work as you said. Some settings also seem to affect this more like switching the display to show the large numbers (not sure exactly what it's called) seems to help "refresh" the numbers quicker, don't know why? Or fast on seems to refresh them a bit faster. Maybe give those a try?

The deeper the coin, the more off the numbers can be. If it sounds good, I'd dig it.

It is somewhat normal depending on how trashy your site is.I have found it is better to move the coil slightly away from the target while still on the ground and let it reset and then wiggle back over your desired target.If it is very trashy close to your target you may need to turn 90 degrees and repeat process.The audio ID on the E-Trac is quite fast but the numerical ID can be kinda slow at some sites.Fast on deep of does help improve results in many cases.Also might want to try manual verses auto on some targets and see if that will help as at some of my sites it does.I have some sites where the numbers are almost as fast as the audio and I have a few sites where they are lot slower.I think even the soil matrix "mineralization" can effect the recovery rate of the numbers some times.Not a issue for me after I got used to it and I still like the IDing quality and accuracy much better than either the F75 or the V3 here in south west MO,Ray.

I personally believe what is happening is the E Trac is seeing several targets in a very small amount of movement. When you come back and swing the detector again you might get what you are looking for. Try this, very slight movements of the coil see different things in the ground, if you are not careful you will be reading something many inches below or maybe above the target.The key to me is to watch the depth indicator for the truth. It will go up and down telling each targets depth. Until I started watching the depth indicator during these times I didn't know what was going on drove meThe only coil I have that doesn't hardly ever do that is my Sunray X 5. It's not seeing near as much area so no where's near the deviation. Walk around the target very very slow and if you hit that sweet spot and ID # dig, really if you just hit the ID # it will more than likely be something. Actually this is one of the nice things about the E Trac...............

After re-reading the E-Trac manual, there are a few things that can affect accurate/delayed Target ID's.

Sorry, it's a lot to read, by it might give you a better understanding of what is going on.

Good luck,
CAPTN SE
Dan

1. Too high sensitivity will affect the accuracy of the Target ID, possibly giving you false FE CO numbers.

2. The FE-CO numbers and Target Crosshair will remain the same until a new "accepted" target is detected.

3. If your Recovery setting of DEEP is ON, there is a slightly slower reaction to target signal and target ID due to the extra filtering that is employed while using this setting.

4. If your Recovery setting of FAST is ON, the detector will react faster to target signals, but the discrimination and Target ID may be slightly more erratic. Use Fast in areas littered with objects, where a desired target could be hiding next to unwanted objects. For example, if there are two targets very close together that cause a single detection, the filtering that is usually employed when Recovery Fast is Off may cause a

Thanks for the input guys. I do hunt primarily with Deep off and Fast on so I guess I'm eliminating this "problem" as much as I can through the settings.

Reading through the replies brought up another question......

The pattern I use accepts everything up (or down to - depending on your prospective) FE 27. Say I swing over a coin and the ET gets it "wrong" and gives the coin a FE value of 28. I'm assuming the coin would be completely discriminated out?

I've been thinking about tightening my pattern because I've yet to dig a coin that read over about FE 19 (after I got it stable). BUT, I've dug many coins that read up to FE 27 initially. If I tightened my pattern I would miss A LOT of good coins and by the same token I'm missing some by not having the pattern wide open????

Maybe I'm wrong and I would still hear the audio of the target but I've never heard the audio for something with a FE 28 so it makes me wonder.

moseng said:
Some settings also seem to affect this more like switching the display to show the large numbers (not sure exactly what it's called) seems to help "refresh" the numbers quicker, don't know why?

That's one I've never tried. That would be odd if that helped but I'm headed out in a bit here, so I'll give it a shot today.

OhioCoinHunter said:
The deeper the coin, the more off the numbers can be. If it sounds good, I'd dig it.

Just to be clear, I'm not refering to typical VDI shift. Our soil adds to the FE numbers on deep coins. Not a problem.

I'm reffering having the VDI WAY off. A silver dime reading say FE 27 CO 45. Move the coil get a threshold, reswing and get FE 12 CO 45.

Mine are like most of the guys have already stated, when I'm in a area with lots of trash I get odd readings or if the target is deep or has trash above it I get the same. If I see this I switch over to my smaller coil to knock out some of the trash and also use the wiggle tech. that Ray-Mo spoke of, just remember to go slow so your not hitting so many targets at one time.

Also when you get this work that target from different angles to see if it pulls a better signal.
Good luck and HH

When i get a good tone and look down at the numbers. I look more at the Co value while I'm circling around the target while sweeping. CO 45 and lower stays in the ground unless i want to dig wheat's every foot or so. Anything that gives a CO of 46 or better comes out. When your hunting a place that has 150 years of trash and targets in layers. Your FE and CO can be anywhere. I find this because of a target in the center and a target to the edge of the coil. That's why i circle and sweep.

EZ

You might have had a small bit of iron on one side of your target pulling the FE number down when you swing from one direction??? hard to say though.

I see this a fair bit on mine, but I disregard the ID, sound is the primary and I'll have a quick look at the CO number when I re-check it. The FE numbers are the most unreliable part of the ID number on anything deeper that about 6" or close to iron, and is why I run a fairly wide pattern (Andy S's coin pattern).

Cheers

OhioCoinHunter said:

My thoughts exactly. I look at the numbers almost everytime, I 90