Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don’t hate me but I went out again and glad I did!

Ronstar

Well the weather decided to give us one more weekend so with the wife being busy in her classroom whats a guy to do? Decided to go back to the elementary school/park where I found the opal ring earlier and just cover some quick ground.
No one around so that was a plus! Decided to concentrate on clad coins and solid foil numbers if it appeared. Starting hitting nickels and dimes pretty rapidly. Then hit a quarter field so feeling pretty good. Suddenly I slam a 92-93 hit! Usually I find its a buried iron chunk and I’m simply getting a spike hit, but this was just different sounding. Showed 7-8” deep and small footprint. Dug. Pinpointer saying I’m off on being center so cut a chunk out of the plug wall and silver falls to the bottom, immediate recognition of a larger coin too. Grab phone and take photo and then reached down and removed it. It was a shiny Kennedy half dollar!! Confused. Shouldnt it be clad? Check date, 1967...... confused. Take another photo and text jkline, fast response which read 40% silver. Ok. Happy Camper here!!!
Keep on swinging and hit another 92-93 signal. Ok, am I on Candid Camera??? Dig. Stack of coins starting with a Sacajawea dollar on the bottom with five quarters and a dime on top!! This was 4-5” deep and still one more quarter off to the side about 2-3”. Now I’m getting giddy cuz this just doesn't happen to me. Keep going.
Now I hit a weird zinc/dime combo, 65-66 and rock solid. Curiosity strikes so I dig it, a Canadian Looney!! Geez...... keep going..... hit dime/quarter combo and again solid so dig. Shiny again at bottom and it came up with the trowel! Silver pendant with red stone! I was pretty sure I saw 925 on the clasp too.
Ok, time to go getting dark. Get home and clean the finds and the pendant is not silver. Now can see I barely scraped the Kennedy across the back but barely noticeable. Count coins: 15 quarters, 9 dimes, 7 nickels, and 4 pre ‘82 pennies. Best day ever!!! Guess who is going back tomorrow once it warms up a bit!! Season not over until its over.

Attachments

• 95FCA07D-638A-459D-AF05-D6A8518E32E7.jpeg
    95FCA07D-638A-459D-AF05-D6A8518E32E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169
  • BDD53CBE-36E9-472F-9CDE-2122957956E8.jpeg
    BDD53CBE-36E9-472F-9CDE-2122957956E8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
  • C64AFEC7-6928-41CC-A144-7249892B92B2.jpeg
    C64AFEC7-6928-41CC-A144-7249892B92B2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • 020F7F51-5276-40B1-B8A8-D22A99F06CCF.jpeg
    020F7F51-5276-40B1-B8A8-D22A99F06CCF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • F566DF6C-0662-45A9-A517-11AF1FF1E742.jpeg
    F566DF6C-0662-45A9-A517-11AF1FF1E742.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 165
  • 359B9206-149D-4E71-9BDA-4B2FFD343389.jpeg
    359B9206-149D-4E71-9BDA-4B2FFD343389.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 167
RedBook indicates 1964 to 1970 was .800 silver and .200 copper!!!! Even better

Well the weather decided to give us one more weekend so with the wife being busy in her classroom whats a guy to do? Decided to go back to the elementary school/park where I found the opal ring earlier and just cover some quick ground.
No one around so that was a plus! Decided to concentrate on clad coins and solid foil numbers if it appeared. Starting hitting nickels and dimes pretty rapidly. Then hit a quarter field so feeling pretty good. Suddenly I slam a 92-93 hit! Usually I find its a buried iron chunk and I’m simply getting a spike hit, but this was just different sounding. Showed 7-8” deep and small footprint. Dug. Pinpointer saying I’m off on being center so cut a chunk out of the plug wall and silver falls to the bottom, immediate recognition of a larger coin too. Grab phone and take photo and then reached down and removed it. It was a shiny Kennedy half dollar!! Confused. Shouldnt it be clad? Check date, 1967...... confused. Take another photo and text jkline, fast response which read 40% silver. Ok. Happy Camper here!!!
Keep on swinging and hit another 92-93 signal. Ok, am I on Candid Camera??? Dig. Stack of coins starting with a Sacajawea dollar on the bottom with five quarters and a dime on top!! This was 4-5” deep and still one more quarter off to the side about 2-3”. Now I’m getting giddy cuz this just doesn't happen to me. Keep going.
Now I hit a weird zinc/dime combo, 65-66 and rock solid. Curiosity strikes so I dig it, a Canadian Looney!! Geez...... keep going..... hit dime/quarter combo and again solid so dig. Shiny again at bottom and it came up with the trowel! Silver pendant with red stone! I was pretty sure I saw 925 on the clasp too.
Ok, time to go getting dark. Get home and clean the finds and the pendant is not silver. Now can see I barely scraped the Kennedy across the back but barely noticeable. Count coins: 15 quarters, 9 dimes, 7 nickels, and 4 pre ‘82 pennies. Best day ever!!! Guess who is going back tomorrow once it warms up a bit!! Season not over until its over.
RON....RON....RON.....you just don't stop do you ?
That pic doesn't look like a nel coil ???????????
I told ALL that coil will amaze you and outperform a lot of top coils in certain conditions.
Pinpoint is off a little....or was it you ?....tight wiggle the coil over the target and try to isolate the target with the pinpoint button off.
ANYWAY....CONGRATS on the hunt.....Slipped away by yourself and scored...someone may get irritated ay you....
E L M Y

RON....RON....RON.....you just don't stop do you ?
That pic doesn't look like a nel coil ???????????
I told ALL that coil will amaze you and outperform a lot of top coils in certain conditions.
Pinpoint is off a little....or was it you ?....tight wiggle the coil over the target and try to isolate the target with the pinpoint button off.
ANYWAY....CONGRATS on the hunt.....Slipped away by yourself and scored...someone may get irritated ay you....
E L M Y
I have a tip on the coil I cam pm you if you want any of what I have experienced using this coil

Very nice!!! Been years since I dug a Kennedy Half Dollar.

Elmy please do!!! I had the SEF 12x10 on as I was wanting to clear as much ground as possible. I would think just under the mounting bolt is dead center on the coil but it seems to be slightly forward. I think I may have gotten off center because I sometimes cut the plug after getting a visual on the point and most likely cut more of an oval than a circle (if that makes sense). SEF back on tomorrow as well as this place is not all that junky.
Also misread the RedBook.... on 1964 was 80%, then 65-70 was 40%, then after that was standard clad (with a few exceptions).

Elmy please do!!! I had the SEF 12x10 on as I was wanting to clear as much ground as possible. I would think just under the mounting bolt is dead center on the coil but it seems to be slightly forward. I think I may have gotten off center because I sometimes cut the plug after getting a visual on the point and most likely cut more of an oval than a circle (if that makes sense). SEF back on tomorrow as well as this place is not all that junky.
Also misread the RedBook.... on 1964 was 80%, then 65-70 was 40%, then after that was standard clad (with a few exceptions).
Yep...it is 40%...but still comes out of the hole shinny enough to get your blood pumping !
PM sent...

Congrats that is great detecting treasure in anyones day! :thumbup: Ma

Darn good outing! Quantity and quality.

Long handle T shovel on a school grounds? HH Jim tn
Only if you have permission and holes are neat and covered good...overkill ?.....yep....all depends on if you are being watched and how it looks when you get done. Or it could have been a prop...just for show....
There is a hand trowel in with the half dollar....however.....does need a 3 sided cut with a flap on the hole.....yep...we all get excited on a possibility of a large silver coin and sometimes forget.

Elmy, not going to debate you here on shovels being used on school yards and city parks. It all PERCEPTION, nothing else. HH Jim tn
agreed....some of those small trowels have done a lot of damage when a mower lifts the small plug and tosses it out of a hole too....a hinged plug heals better...no matter what all use..
HH

I use the trowel when target is showing 4” or less. I have found if a diamond type plug is cut then yes, the plug can come out if large industrial mower goes over it. Grounds crewman at University told me to cut square plug and press down firmly and no problems. I use the Lesche shovel (4.5”x 7.5”) when showing 8” or less. The Lesche is quick and symmetrically square. I do not go deeper than depth of the Lesche at schools or parks. I think the perception problem is when people see a mound of dirt next to you rather than a solid plug. In the photo I took I used the Lesche as the target area was more than 4” and the ground was fairly hard but not frozen. I was using the trowel to cut the wall at the bottom as more surgical than the shovel but still put a light scar across the one side.

Half dollars seem to like you ! Nice find.

Nice finds it ain’t over till the fat lady sings lol I detect all winter just switch to beach if ground is frozen.
I hit my first 1964 silver Kennedy this fall it’s been a white whale lol I find the clad ones quite often but the 90 silver are tough.
Mark