Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don’t throw away that black encrusted silver

The pics are of several rings and a necklace. All were heavily encrusted. Takes some time, but using various methods one can make that silver new again. I use several methods depending on how bad each piece is. Methods I use on the bad stuff are converting a charger into an electrolysis machine, the tin foil and baking soda with boiling water, and for the fine filigree maybe some Tarn-X. All methods can easily be found by an internet search. The finding of jewelry is great but, making them new again also rewarding. Good fortune to all.

That cleaned up Great! And some Great treasure!! I won't say how I clean mine. :rage:

Nice before & after pix. Good job.

Yes, some are hard to read due to the time in the water but yes, all Tiffany. Found in Asia so what’s real and what’s fake, who knows? They’re definitely silver and make for nice give always, I know that much.

Im bad......... i just chuck mine in a jar and sell it for pennies. I use to do antiques and cleaned then tried to sell them in our shop...... you really have to want to spend the time because we just never got much for them. Thats the one thing about this hobby. We acquire quite the collection because we never seem to find an outlet to sell them at a price we feel is fair. Sooooo the question is WHAT WILL YOUR KIDS DO WITH IT?

I make the decision early on that it’s a give away. Family gets first dibs. After that anyone that is around when the topic comes up, be they visitors or kids ar a campground, the bag comes out and it’s help yourself but don’t be greedy. I get quite a bit of pleasure out of it. Gold, an entirely different matter, that’s when I get greedy

By the way......... dont you just hate that silver that turns that gold color? I get a good bit of it too....... ugh.

I don't throw it away, but I melt it down with the other scrap silver

I use lime away in a tumbler with a little stainless steel shot works unbelievable!
Here’s before and after ID Bracelet I returned lost 52 years!
Guy was 18 now 70 his parents gave it to him .

Never thought of lime away and stainless steel shot. Great idea. What size shot? Number 4’s like out of a waterfowl shotgun shell or something larger? Thanks, Bill.

dobbratacus said:
Never thought of lime away and stainless steel shot. Great idea. What size shot? Number 4’s like out of a waterfowl shotgun shell or something larger? Thanks, Bill.
I buy a mixed variety online works great lasts forever!