Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Double "D" coils for White's 6.5 Khz machines?

Calnevaroy

Does anyone make double "D" coils for White's 6.5 Khz machines? I'm acquiring a White's Classic III with Mr. Bill's mods and wondered if a double "D" coil would improve the separation ability of this machine in iron junk over a concentric coil of the same size. Or should I just use the small 5.3 coil?

I'm a big fan of DDs now having cut my teeth on concentrics over the years. For sure a *good quality* DD will give better left/right separation from shallow to deep IMO. Unfortanetly there are no DDs that I know of for the low frequency Whites line last time I checked, but it's been a few years since I moved on. I wish Detech would make a 12x10 DD for the low frequency Whites to breath new life into them in both depth and left/right separation along with handling mineralized ground better. Seems the perfect market because I bet there are more low freq. Whites coil compatible models on the market than any other machine...6000, QXT, QII, XLT, etc...Some of the best machines ever made, and a good larger DD coil than the 9.5" stock concentric I think would do wonders, as low freq. penetrates my soil better than higher ones in single frequency machines for me.

Far as a tiny coil, I had the 5.3" Bullseye or whatever for my QXT. Problem is it's really like 7" big or close to that, so it wasn't as small as I hoped. There is a smaller little coil that I think is around 4" but it's very rare to find. That's the one I'd look for if I wanted a trash coil, but unfortunately it too is a concentric.

Blue Max 4x6 Shooter DD (6.59 kHz)

Elliptical 4x6 inch "DD" design provides superior performance in extreme ground, better sensitivity to physically smaller metal targets, performance in extreme trash and physically smaller foot print for working around obstacles. Longer but narrower detection window compared to similar sized search coils. Finds the good stuff in areas littered with trash.

4X6 XLT DD
P/N 801-3220

Larry's correct about the 4x6 shooter. It's the only DD coil made for the White's 6.59kHz machines. The depth suffers though, in comparison to the 5.3 Bullseye or Blue Max 600. I'd say it loses about 30% to the concentric coils.

The 3x18 big foot coil in 6.5 khz, is it a DD ? I have one that i use on my Eagle 11 sl, but don,t know if it is DD or not. Thanks Flintstone

It is not a true DD, but for all practical reasoning, it works just like a DD coil.

The BigFoot design is known as differential geometry. It's 2 goals are to cancel the effect of much of the ground mineralization and secondly to cover a large area of ground in one sweep. An added bonus is that it helps to reduce 60 cycle interference, such as transformers and power lines. It detects in a windshield wiper pattern over its full 18 inches so it does act like a DD in high trash areas.

Larry, how long ago did that coil come out? It's been a few years since I last coil searched for my Whites but never heard of that coil.

Tom Slick...It's odd though that you say it gets less depth than a similar sized concentric. I've found that when coils get smaller than say about 6 or 7" or so for some reason for me a DD seems to hold it's depth better. This is in my soil though, where it's fairly mineralized at most sites.

I don't don't know when the Bigfoot came out, but my best guess might be 15 years ago for the XLT model and then the DFX model when the DFX was released. I think Jimmy Sierra also had a Prizm model as well and production stopped with the death of the manufacture maybe 5 years ago.

The bigFoot was released well before the XLT. The original was used on the 5900 and 6000 series of detectors about the mid to late 1980's. I got my first BigFoot right after I bought my Eagle SL 90.5 in 1990.

Don't expect to find a good deal on a bigfoot coil either. If you can find one they are usually very proud of them.

No, I meant the 4x6...When did that coil come out? I was aware of the Bigfoot for years. Just thought I knew of every coil there was for the low frequency Whites (including the Hot Shot), but never heard of that 4x6 DD. Even if it's not getting the depth of the small concentrics for some odd reason I'd still consider that coil. To me depth is of secondary importance when using a small trash coil. I'm primarily interested in separation when going to a small trash coil myself. That's why that 4x6 interests me being that it's a DD for the left/right separation thing.

Really in a trash coil I prefer to find the smallest round DD coil I can find, because while I prefer odd shaped coils (like the 12x10) to improve both depth and separation at the same time by it's shape, in a trash coil I don't want to compromise on length separation wise and want just max separation on the 2 axises (length and width). Still, a little DD like that would be my choice if it was the only DD trash coil available, unless it's got a real "fuzzy" thick field for some reason, as I've used some rather bad DD coils in the past in that respect.

While on the subject of tiny trash coils, what was the name of that little (I think it was white) trash coil that was a good bit smaller than the Whites Bullseye and what size was it? And to refresh my memory further, what was the actual size of the 5.3" Bullseye too? I had one and remember it being much bigger than the name implied and I wasn't too happy about that.

I heard somebody mention this once and I think it's a great idea...If I wanted a odd shaped tiny trash coil something like a 4x2 DD would be killer. Depth of a 4" round coil but with optimum left/right separation. Maybe a 5x2 or perhaps a 5x3. As good of length wise separation as a 4 or 5" round coil so no compromise on that respect.

The Blue Max 4"x6" Shooter for the 6.59kHz machines has been out for a few years. It's just like the Eclipse 4"x6" shooter except for the name and the decal color. It doesn't work as well as the Eclipse coil for some reason. Same target separation but less depth.
The small concentric is a Blue Max 350 Snooper that measures 4.75". It was made in white and later changed to black. The 5.3 Bullseye is the same as the Blue Max 600. The 600 is white and the 5.3 is black. They are the same except the color and the decal. They both measure 6.5" diameter. I don't know why White's doesn't call them what they measure on the outside, maybe they use the dimension of the actual wire coil inside the housing. There is one more small DD coil for the 6.59 White's detectors called a GoldFoot. It was also made by Applied Creativity (the makers of the BigFoot). It looks like a baby BigFoot and measures 2"x9". If you want side by side separation, nothing can beat it except a pinpointer. They are more rare than the BigFoot but don't demand anywhere near the prices of the B/F. Applied Creativity replaced the GoldFoot with another like coil for the DFX, MXT, and M6 and called it the the HotFoot. (works on the V3i also). No, my BigFoots, GoldFoot, and HotFoots are not for sale. :unsure:

Thanks for that info. I remember now on the various sizes for the two concentric trash coils, but needed my memory refreshed. Yea, i remember that 5.3" (I had the black one) being MUCH bigger than the name implied and I felt a bit put off by that. When I want a trash coil I want the smallest coil I can get, and that coil was more towards an 8" coil in size then I would consider it towards a trash coil IMO. Still a decent coil though, just not as small as I wanted.

Wasn't there yet another little tiny trash coil also made by Applied Creativity other than the one you just outlines, much smaller than the Bullseye, and not the 350 snooper? It was made by somebody other than Whites, and Applied creativity seems to ring a bell. If I remember right I vaguely remember seeing a picture of it and it was white. The name of it is right on the tip of my tounge but I just can't put a finger on it. This would be a good question for Greg Moscini (sp?), because I think I remember him talking about this coil years ago. If memory serves it was a small round white coil, and was very thick height wise, but it had a different name than the other Gold foot.

Critterhunter,
That coil was a 6" coil that was called the Eliminator. It was a double stacked coil making it almost twice as thick as a standard coil. The benefit to it was that it wouldn't detect on the top of the coil so you could slide it under fences etc. Very good coil in certain circumstances.

I sold my Eliminator coil a few months back but I think it was right at 6" in diameter.