Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Doubts over Manticore 50% extra power.

All this speculation makes my head hurt. I guess the bottom line for me is I don’t really care if it’s 50% more or not as long as I keep finding stuff.

I have not seen what the 50% more powerful refers to. It could be battery power, computer power, radiated power, coil ear resilience to breakage, audio power, light lumens, screen display, or it a combination of all the improvements?

Has anyone seen in MineLab's documentations just what they are referring to with the 50% statement?
I haven't seen documentation but the representative said very clearly power coming out of the product into the ground.

I watched a video on you tube with the famous Neil jones detecting a tiny silver three pence coin from 13 inches with manticore , in bad dirt too. it looks a genuine video , i am amazed
such a tiny silver came out from 13 inches , i thought it was amazing , i never thought it possible to get a tiny silver past 12 inches. The deepest i ever found one of these coins was 5 inches.
I did a depth test on the same coin and 5 and a half inches was the best i could do with the legend. So if the neil jones video is honest , which i think it is then manticore is amazing.
He detected a old penny at 16 inches too with the core.

My question is why do you need 50% more power when I cant run full blast on any detector I currently own? Maybe its the software being able to handle the additional feed back from the ground and EMI that it allows you to use more power. Or just 50% more processing power compared to the Equinox? Not sure why they have played the POWER card when the equinox's strenght is SEPARATION. I cant tell you how many times I found nails comingled with a nonferrous item with my 800. Just amazing. Really eyballing the 900 but want to wait a while to see if there is a $500 advantage that will sway me to the Manacore. Wished they would come out with a meaningfull explanation.

More proccessing power makes sence to me. Blasting 50% more power into the ground seems counter productive.

Pretty sure the only thing the FCC regulates with metal detectors is spurious emissions.
Referring to power output in watts is a completely meaningless number, as detectors don't 'output'....they create a balanced magnetic field.
If you think of the coil of a detector as a weirdly shaped transformer, you're on the right track.
There are electric field radiation limits....but since it's actually a magnetic field and not a transmitter, about the only thing the FCC really do is test for interference potential to nearby electronics.
(i.e. spurious emissions.)

While bumping up the current in the coil 50% can certainly be done (along with the corresponding increase in battery drain), just keep in mind that won't increase detection depth by 50%.
I will help some though, and I'm hoping it might also be of assistance with EMI/RFI mitigation.

If this @#$% cold spell ever goes away, I've got a perfect place to test/try mine out.
If only this winter would be a little nicer to us, lol.

(I know I'm getting old, because I hate the cold more each year... )
:)
mike

Last edited:
BTW, when Minelab says 50% power increase, they mean 50% greater power to the coil than the Equinox.
(You can download the Manticore brochure from the Minelab website, and read all of what ML has to say about it....manual and quickstart guide, as well.)

Also note, that boosting power to the coil isn't a new thing. The high end Golden Mask detectors do it with (their terminology) the PowerBox, The Whites V3 series had/has a TX-Boost.
I think some of the Fishers (F-75?) may have, as well... (There's probably others I'm just forgetting.)

I remember that several years ago Minelab ads claimed that one of their detectors had 28 frequencies. Turned out that it had 28 harmonic frequencies but the processor could not use anywhere near that many. An outright deception in the ads but it still was a very good detector.

Last edited:
That's a thought.
What if they use 1 watt per frequencie.
Sending them out mili seconds apart.
In groups thousands of a second apart.
That could effectively be 2-5 watts output.
Kinda like this.
..... ..... ..... .....
Thats what I was thinking 1 watt per frequency

its a jedi mind trick :ROFLMAO:

I remember that several years ago Minelab ads claimed that one of their detectors had 28 frequencies. Turned out that it had 28 harmonic frequencies but the processor could not use anywhere near that many. An outright deception in the ads but it still was a very good detector.
That was the Explorer line. The claim was also on page 6 that the Explorer punched deeper than single frequency metal detectors.
Proven to be untrue by another metal detecting company from the UK.

Attachments

• Page 6.jpg
    Page 6.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
Interesting how people who have never posted in the Equinox forum are coming in and saying the Manticore/900/700 are BS. When you compare the forums here to postings/ finds looks like Minelab is predominant. I normally hunt fields in Germany that have been worked hard by other detectors and find good (albeit small sized) finds. My gold coin Avatar is a case in point

Merrill (Metal Detecting NYC) on YouTube said MineLab should have the answer today on what the "50% more powerful into the ground" actually refers to and if or what the FCC specifies what the output power of a metal detector could be.. I may be wrong, but what I remember from years ago is that the FCC does not require a license for devices with a transmitted output power less than 5 watts within certain frequency ranges (CB radios). I hope we get good answers. About a power limit, don't forget that MineLab sells the same detectors worldwide and they must also meet other country's regulations, not only the US regulations. NEWS: the answers are up on YouTube about 9:30am..

Merrill (Metal Detecting NYC) on YouTube said MineLab should have the answer today on what the "50% more powerful into the ground" actually refers to and if or what the FCC specifies what the output power of a metal detector could be.. I may be wrong, but what I remember from years ago is that the FCC does not require a license for devices with a transmitted output power less than 5 watts within certain frequency ranges (CB radios). I hope we get good answers. About a power limit, don't forget that MineLab sells the same detectors worldwide and they must also meet other country's regulations, not only the US regulations. NEWS: the answers are up on YouTube about 9:30am..
If you see it. Could you post it Please ?

Seems Merrill, "NYC" put out a youtube "Minelab lied", something about the 50% more power claim. Mark Lawrie from Minelab contacted him and merrell took it down on his own he say's. Now i guess after they talked about the claim NYC (Merrell) is going to put another out about the subject with some answers to manticore capabilities. Interesting in just minelab responding much less commenting on something like this. "Minelab Lied" was sure to get a reaction and Lawrie being the spokesman at the time I'm sure didn't appreciate it either. But watching him squirm when asked about the 50% during the release raised a few eyebrows.

I watched a video today on you tube , a video that claims the 50% extra power claimed by minelab for the manticore is BS. All metal detectors are limited to 1 watt of transmit power by law it says.
I have head some say that manticore is no deeper than the 900. I wonder if it is all a con to get money out of gullible detector buyers / users. I also heard they can't make them fast enough for the
gullible's. :)

In the new video, Mark Lawrie verifies that there is 50% more power sent to the coil for transmission. BUT -- as he clarified previously, that does NOT translate to 50% more depth; it's not a linear relationship. Instead, 50% more transmit power equates to about 10% more depth, according to Mr. Lawrie.

Basically, Merrill made a mistake, and he admits to it. Minelab was NOT "lying," as he had suggested.

Steve

In the new video, Mark Lawrie verifies that there is 50% more power sent to the coil for transmission. BUT -- as he clarified previously, that does NOT translate to 50% more depth; it's not a linear relationship. Instead, 50% more transmit power equates to about 10% more depth, according to Mr. Lawrie.

Basically, Merrill made a mistake, and he admits to it. Minelab was NOT "lying," as he had suggested.

Steve
So it's much more eye catching stating 50% more power sounds better than 10% increase in depth. Sell more manticores with a simple statement. 10% more depth should unlock some deeper targets i agree on that.

0I watched a video today on you tube , a video that claims the 50% extra power claimed by minelab for the manticore is BS. All metal detectors are limited to 1 watt of transmit power by law it says.
I have head some say that manticore is no deeper than the 900. I wonder if it is all a con to get money out of gullible detector buyers / users. I also heard they can't make them fast enough for the
gullible's. :)
BECAUSE something is on youtube does not make it true. Nobody KNOWS the transmit power figures of metal detectors because they are not published and never have been, and Pulse detectors not by an exclusion in law but by how they operate (shutting on/off many times a second which allows battery life to last longer) are much more powerful than VLFS by a factor of 10 to 20X. Metal detectors are classified as low power transmitters. You need to have a very healthy skepticism on articles that are often clickbait looking to be moneytized. I see videos that Jim Morrison & Janis Joplin are living together in Paris, Elvis is living with some Alien from who knows where, and Hitler died in Argentina at age 96 having escaped Germany in 1945. Do you believe them? I do NOT even click on such trash, and I do NOT click on articles like you described for the same reason and I've been detecting for 51 years and learned from from people that often made detectors. (And when I look in the mirror I do not see someone gullible looking back at me.)