Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dropping some Voltage

S

stoneshirt

Hieverybody...
Can someone Post me up a Line or Two on this.My ExCal Battery(KellyCo Pro-1600) It's around 3.5 Yrs old.It's feeling kinda' Puny...Can I/should I put a small(?) 12 Volt Auto Bulb on it, and drain it down(how far?)..I have the dedicated Charger for it... I thought that might "Rejuvenate" it somewhat....I have never ran it down since new.
stoneshirt.....Thanks..

Why not run the detector with it?
There is a cheap (~30$) rc charger online that handles almost every kind of battery. It will cycle it for you and test the current output same time.

If im going to pay $30 for a charger......... just get an RNB 3000 lith and call it a day. GREAT battery...... and you dont have to worry about the charger not recognizing it and failing to charge properly.

Sometimes the bigger rc hobby sites have sales on rc batteries for prices like $10 for a lipoly equivalent or better than 3000. You can put them in the alkaline pod.

dewcon.
Thanks on that.And mister bklien,you also.I been using it alot,and putting on the dedicated Charger,like over night.I'm getting 12.70v-12.90v thats when their right off the Charger,then on cooling down some the Numbers drop to 12.30v 12.35v its different each Time.And I put maybe Four Hours in the Water.And then check it at Home and it reads 11.80v 11.90v,.it's never gone dead on me.Tell me.If those are "dedicated" Batterys,and the Explorer for "example" shuts itself down somewhere just above 11.50 or 11.80v..More or less(No one seems to know exactly)Does that mean that batt is made to never run lower all it's Life,and is discharging them totally something strange to them?I mean,do they ever feel TOTAL discharge?
stoneshirt.

Lipoly batteries do not have charge memory like nicads do. There is no benefit running them down or recycling them. In fact there is risk as there is a protection circuit to open the output if it drops below 3V a cell. Some cells can get below this and you sometimes have to manually apply voltage on them to get them back above 3V. Best to charge them after use and be happy they work well. They have a pretty stable output voltage that holds up right to the end. The charger I referred to will tell you the mA capacity. From that you can roughly judge how many hours you can run it if you know the detector current draw.

I do not remember the exact voltage that the Xcal will alarm telling you that the voltage is low but If I remember correctly it is between 9 and 10 volts So your battery not charging higher would indicate to me that it is like me. Getting old.

bklien,Hello,and to all of you.
I have repeated,these are the Pack from KellyCo.They are NiMH....".Best to charge them after use and be happy they work well"...I'm hearing you on that.Today they gave me the empty Grunt,It's been a long Time since that's happened,in fact it's the first Time with this Batt Pac(KellyCo)...It reads 11.46,which is pretty good,Now I have some Numbers to go on....11.46 Depleted.....12.87(or so) full charge.It runs me for 4 Hrs,at least.I'll be happy enough,I guess.I'm moving to Ecuador soon,maybe they'll have a "Radio Shack" or Home Depot, or "Batterys are Us" Ja ja.

One thing I did'nt really mention,is the living in South America..Most all of my problematic questions to you Guys are always answered with a " well run out and pick up a (whatever) Haha. You don't "pick up" anything here.You spend Days and Days searching for an Item,only to find out their not around.Not having these products you Guys mentioned available because of Shipping Addresses,is problematic.and a Month to Two Month waiting and wondering about a Package is the Pits.Not to mention Import Dutys and such.Enough for now.
stoneshirt.

Hi GeorgeinSC.Like I just replied to bklien,Today is the first Time I've ran this particular Battery down to the Grunt.It's about 3.5 Yrs old,and used little ( I have an ExplorerXS i use) ...Now at Home, the Meter reads 11.46.The Grunt!
Most of my charges take it up to around 12.76-12.87... here and there.And like I said in that reply,I'm getting in 4-5 Hrs.Under this Tropical Sun of ours.(Santa Marta,Colombia) One thing I have noticed on this whole thing,A few Months back,when the Batt pack started getting Puny,is that I've noticed the Charger (a dedicated Charger for this particular Batt Pack) EVERY Time It's plugged in the Light is ALWAYS green no matter what state the Battery is in,except for a Split Second at contact with Power, when I get A FLASH of Red.???
stoneshirt.

What you dont know is what the charge is under load.... which can be way lower. I used to use 1600s......but went to the 3000s just because of the reason you mentioned. I do about 7 hours...... they started not fully charging .....and like was mentioned got below that voltage needed for the NOT so smart charger to recognize them. IF you have the old ML charger...... try charging them over night and see what voltage you get. If its higher....personally thats telling me its time to upgrade. I had 3 of those batteries...... they were doing that to me in less than a year.

What you dont know is what the charge is under load.... which can be way lower. I used to use 1600s......but went to the 3000s just because of the reason you mentioned. I do about 7 hours...... they started not fully charging .....and like was mentioned got below that voltage needed for the NOT so smart charger to recognize them. IF you have the old ML charger...... try charging them over night and see what voltage you get. If its higher....personally thats telling me its time to upgrade. I had 3 of those batteries...... they were doing that to me in less than a year.
Hello,and a belated thanks for your Thoughts..I've mentioned before,about me being in Latin American Countrys.Lived in Costa Rica for around 4Yrs,l lived in Panama for aound 11 Yrs. 2yrs in Colombia, 6Months in Ecuador,the whole Time,maybe seeing 3 Detectorist 0n the Beaches.When it comes to keeping my detectors(Excal Blue, and Explorer XS) up and running,I rely on you Folks for Knowledge.I'm to the Point,now where I'm doing a lot of McGyver Builds.Ordering from all these Outlets you Guys have is a Blessing,and a Luxury.I spend days looking for something I need,and often not finding it! Using the Mails here is a Daunting Task,which requires a lot of Patience,and a bit of Optimism.........
stoneshirt.