Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dry suit help

spdnj

I am looking for some recommendations for a drysuit. I purchased a nrs a while back but have had issues with the seams which I am now told is common for them. I am not looking for a cheapo but I am also not looking to spend several thousand. It will be used for neck deep detecting in lakes and streams nothing more. Can anyone give me some info to help me out?
One thing I liked about the nrs was my feet were built into the suit, I had to wear nrs shoes with the suit but I really like being completely enclosed especially when it is cold.
Thanks

Sure. Dont waste your money on a dry suit. Unless you hunt in cold water in the dead of winter. I live in new england...I do fine with a 6mm wetsuit...3 seasons. I have thought about going with waders...my only problem is if water gets in there and you slip on a decline...could be disasterous. Anyway...HH an GL. -Joe

The reason I am trying to stay away from a wetsuit is so I can get out of it and get in my truck from hunting dry as a bone. That and some of the streams I hunt have some contamination in them and I really want to keep my exposure to the water minimal. Appreciate the feedback though.

I don't know what a NRS drysuit is.

Bare makes a good drysuit that is cheaper than the DUIs. Of course the DUIs are considered the Cadillacs of drysuits for a reason, they are the best fit and function. You might check Ebay for a good used tri-lam. Just remember that if you get one and it has leaking seems, or heaven forbid a bad zipper, you will spend hundreds getting it repaired.

Don't forget you need good thermals with a drysuit, and LOTS more lead to keep you down.

I am with you on this. Logistics of a water hunt are tricky. I change onsite. Now. This is dicey anyway. It can be done legally. Its more of a pain then anything. Keep cloths dry. All set.

Enter water contamination. This makes your problem harder to solve. Might I ask I work for a cleanup firm)...what are the streams contaminated with?

Basically...if it can't be rinsed off your suit...your gonna cross contaminate all the way into your home. Not worth the hunt if its somethin nasty. And if its nasty...it will ruin your suit...maybe waders are the way to go? Easy change out and easy to decon.

Anyway. Hope you get a good deal on a drysuit if that's the way you decide to go. HH -Joe

spdnj said:
The reason I am trying to stay away from a wetsuit is so I can get out of it and get in my truck from hunting dry as a bone. That and some of the streams I hunt have some contamination in them and I really want to keep my exposure to the water minimal. Appreciate the feedback though.

I've been diving for years and own drysuits. I now hunt in one. As Joeb pointed out waders can dangerous, so a dry suit is a good option in cooler water. The only things I would suggest are if you get one try to get one of the self donning suits that have a zip across the front, makes getting in and out much easier.
My current suit has the zip across the shoulders and I use a length of cord with a hook to open and close it. You need to attach one end to something solid and the other to the zip and turn as the zip slides.
Anyway also as pointed out I find once I get past waist deep I need a weight belt, otherwise when I try to dig all the happens is I go up and the scoop stays where it is. Also if the weather is warm you will sweat so don,t wear to much underneath.

As for brands, I used a DUI for years for diving, they are a good suit have a look on ebay. I now have a 100% waterproof really nice suit with good built in boots.
If zips or seals need replacing do it yourself, I used to send mine away to be repair and it cost hundreds. Now I buy the glue and seals of an ebayer in the UK and do it myself for a fraction of the cost, have also replaced my own zip.

GL and HH

[sub][/sub]You may want to think about a Survival suit. I've been using these for a few years, got them off Ebay...And Only the one's that are new/with tags. Of late the last 40 years the Bay has had many problems with contamination, several of the places I hunt ..you pull up a scoop of sand/black muck and it smells of sewer. A small open cut can allow bateria in and could cause major issues. So if you think there is a chance of anything...Go sealed, and dry. Plus I enjoy the warmth of being dry....

Good Post OldBeechNut, there is starting to be more and more of those infections and the way things are going in the world today, there will be more and more. I have know people who got these infections and they are almost impossible to get rid of and some infections will eventually start eating your flesh and then you basically have to amputate.