Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug a nice Spanish silver yesterday :smile:....

A 1773 2-Reale in great condition. That's one each for Jim and I already this spring after only a few hunts (his being a 178? 4-Reale). Went to a new location that we've been meaning to hit......about a mile walk to reach it. Nice setting though and nice n' private. Only managed a couple of early buttons (non-military) here but got at least 20 musket balls between us. Think we'll hit it up again this weekend. Felt good getting out :thumbup: One day down the road I'll put up some pics. Went snooping for an inexpensive digital camera this morning. Maybe nab one this week.

that proves you never know what will come up and where if you are persistent. Congrats!:clapping:

scanner and they are great for coins.

Hope you take a picture of it.... They are a really nice looking coin. Thats a super spot you have to hunt there. Congratulations.

George-CT

n/t

We weren't 10 minutes at this spot when that 2 reale popped out. I'm thinking......boy, this is gonna be a great hunt......maybe virgin turf ......and still might be. But as so often happens, when you get something good early, the door gets slammed after that. Any time we get one of those though, we're happy. I'm sure there's still lots to be had there though. Can't tell you how many times we've walked over the same spots time and time again only to still be surprised with signals we've missed before. That's why we never stop going to area's that have produced. We've learned to enjoy the hunt first and foremost.........and take whatever the ground gives up. We get skunked our share too. :)

But you've got me wondering if I shouldn't grab a cheap scanner as well for coin and button pics. Never used one before. After scanning, do you send the images to a file somewhere ??

Gotta be some early history in your area, no ? Nothing better than some of the finds coming out of that New England district. Pine and Oak tree shillings......that sort of stuff is the holy grail. Just wondering if you are near any of that type of potential ?

you can do what you want in photoshop or any other photo program.

I took a quarter and scanned it at the highest DPI setting one time and printed it on a full sheet of paper and it came out beautiful. That was ONE BIG QUARTER! :D I think I scanned it at 1200 DPI but for most pictures you are going to post you would scan it at around 75dpi. That is Dots Per Inch.

is getting permission to hunt the area. A few bad detector folks made it hard for the rest. They finally closed most of the state parks to us except in small towns. Even then most of the people that live around them have historic homes and figure everything on or in the ground belongs to them, real or imagined. Private land owners are pretty much where it is at in these parts. I have a few that allow it, but even then once you start finding items, they stop you, get a detector and do it themselves. 50/50 works pretty well unless you hit a real good spot, then they toss you out.... I usually let them borrow one of my detectors and detect with me. That helps as often you find
very little or its loaded with old iron nails, cans etc. They loose interest fast then....

Geo

1792: Captain George Vancouver arrived. He spent one day here, which was long enough to discover the Spanish had already claimed the place and headed off again. During the day British Captain Vancouver met with Spanish captains Valdez and Galiano and one of Vancouver's best beaches, Spanish Banks is named for the meeting place. That's also the same reason English Bay got its name. Note however, that the Bay is bigger than the Banks and there are a ton more streets in Vancouver named after the British. (There is a Vancouver Street but it's, um, in New Westminster.)

Terrific find Rob!:thumbup:

It never fails to amaze me that we humans loose so many things, but then that's what our hobby is all about, eh?:detecting:

If the coins etc could only talk!!:)

CJ

n/t

Each and every time an early piece gets pulled from the ground, I can't help but wonder who was carrying it and what they were doing when it was lost. It has always been the historical aspect of this hobby that has been the thrill for me. I suppose that's why I'm pleased whether my finds are early coins or early trinkets. Military buttons turn my crank equally as well. Nothing better than walking in the footsteps of our early ancestors and recovering their traces of history :thumbup: