Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

dug coins

coopercat

What do i do with all the coins i have found, do they have any value other than face value? The bank told me that the corroded pennies were of 0 value. I thought the fed had to make good on their issue.

You know the Feds make their own laws ,,, they don't have to do nothing they don't want to ,,, and make us do everything we don't want to..
Just tumble them , clean 'em up a little and spend them at your local Wally World ,,, they don't care .

You know the Feds make their own laws ,,, they don't have to do nothing they don't want to ,,, and make us do everything we don't want to..
Just tumble them , clean 'em up a little and spend them at your local Wally World ,,, they don't care .
Thanks Hawgdawg, what do you do with yours?

Note: the corroded out Zincolns are considered damaged coinage and non refundable, apparently one reason why they go from 1cent worth to 0. The pre 83 coppers are currently valued at nearly 3 cents apiece copper salvage wise. Probably one reason why everyone is keeping those coins.
As for the clad, the vinegar and salt wash and tumbling process takes the coins back to 90% clean and shiny, I had no problem just turning in $70+ to the bank for good ol green paper!!!!
Secondly, learn to check your coins religiously for key dates and mint defects. They are out there and even if “rusty” looking are still finds that can be worth more than face value.

I average about $300.00 a year in dug clad and cents. It helps off set some of my gas expenditures.

I do the salt, vinegar, tumble routine and then roll all the coins. The few really bad rotted out zincs I just throw away and put the other zincs in the cent coin rolls. I do this when I have about $75. worth and take them to my bank and get cash. Rolling the coins adds a little extra time to the process, but never do I get frowns for trying to spend not so clean money or getting a portion rejected in any kind of coin machine. Silver coins and jewelry finds are another topic.

I consider coin cleaning just one phase of this great hobby....and being retired, have the time to devote to it. HH Jim tn

I use a rock tumbler. Do, however, tumble Memorial cents separate from clad coins. Copper turns the clad a slight coppery (rose) color. My mixture is a 1/3rd cup of (white vinegar) for clad and 1/3rd cup of (apple cider) vinegar for cents and 2 rounded table spoons of salt. I usually tumble each load 45 min to 1 hour. HH Jim tn

I use a rock tumbler. Do, however, tumble Memorial cents separate from clad coins. Copper turns the clad a slight coppery (rose) color. My mixture is a 1/3rd cup of (white vinegar) for clad and 1/3rd cup of (apple cider) vinegar for cents and 2 rounded table spoons of salt. I usually tumble each load 45 min to 1 hour. HH Jim tn
Thanks Jim, i was just getting ready to try to google the recipe.

Note: the corroded out Zincolns are considered damaged coinage and non refundable, apparently one reason why they go from 1cent worth to 0. The pre 83 coppers are currently valued at nearly 3 cents apiece copper salvage wise. Probably one reason why everyone is keeping those coins.
As for the clad, the vinegar and salt wash and tumbling process takes the coins back to 90% clean and shiny, I had no problem just turning in $70+ to the bank for good ol green paper!!!!
Secondly, learn to check your coins religiously for key dates and mint defects. They are out there and even if “rusty” looking are still finds that can be worth more than face value.
Ronstar, where do you sell your mint error coins. I have a few that i've found in coin roll searches. 0.jpeg

The one (maybe it was two) that I let loose of were not highly collectables. There is a coin shop one city S of me that the old guy is pretty knowledgeable. I dug (still have it) ‘45 small S Merc dime that most likely was dropped brand new. I was inquiring if he thought it might be something I should get graded and he honestly said “its your money” but he wouldn’t necessarily do it if it was his. I appreciated that honesty.
The coins I sold were pennies, not old, and got a little over a $2 apiece so...... if your close to a good coin shop I would stay local.

Thanks Jim, the recipe works great.0-1.jpeg

i'm retired so i guess it's sorting time!:D Do you use a rock tumbler?
Sorry I never responded to your question here,, yes i do use one. I bought one for my daughter for Christmas years ago ,, and she never used it much, so i use it , even tumble a few rocks in it. Its an old Lortone single barrel from the mid 90s ,, thing sat in a box for years ,, still has the original belt on it. Hope you're doing well.