Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DX-1 repair, broken wire

Aarong81

My DX-1 has a bad connection right at the probe where the coax goes through the tension relief, specifically where the coax is pinched at the base of the tension relief. Part of the time it goes beserk and overloads. Re-adjusting the tension relief helps make it usable but slowly it is getting worse and wiggling it while using it makes it worse. It's too old to send in for warranty but is it feasable to rewire or resolder the probe? It's not rocket science but the internals are glued inside the probe with expandable foam so there would be very little material to cut and resolder, the coax simply dissapears into the foam inside the probe. If someone cut and resoldered it, am I missing something else like frequency shielding that might be altered in the process? It may also be possible to slice open the outer shield and repair the obvious problem without cutting any other wires. How would you approach to fix this problem, short of buying a new one? I hate to throw it away due to such a simple problem.

PS- The original problem was not caused from overuse or flexing too much. Instead, it was caused from the tension relief being overtightened and cutting into the coax. It has a crimper that pinches the coax and a rubber sleeve to protect the coax but the last picture shows where it was still cutting into the coax and causing the break in the wire. It's a good idea to make sure your tension relief is only as tight as it needs to be without cutting into your coax.

So sorry to hear about your DX-1. Why not send it to Ralph (SunRay) so he can fix it? Just give him a call or Email and I'm sure he can fix you right up.
HH,
Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I sent an email, hopefully there is another option besides buying a new one but I imagine it is not something they will repair since it is so close to the probe. I asked if the probe and coax can be bought seperately too, but that is the important bit so it won't save much by not buying the switch box. If they don't repair it I'll probably try to fix it to get a little more life out of it. If it's as straight forward as fixing the wires I shouldn't have much trouble but I don't know if the coax has any special shielding that will be altered in the process.

I would think that it could be fixed. Keep me posted. I'm intrigued to see if Ralph can get it fixed without a big expense. Keeping my fingers crossed.

He priced a new probe replacement...
"...new probe replacement is $105.00 + insured return S&H..."
I'm not too surprised that he didn't price 'repairing' the old coax. Fixing worn out components could fall back on them when the fix doesn't last as long as the customer thinks it should. I'll get as much use out of mine until it's not usable then I'll decide what to do. The DX-1 is so nice I'd hate to have to detect without it. Well, hate is a bit harsh. I'd love detecting a little less without it. :)

I'm surprised but then I agree with what you said, "Fixing worn out components could fall back on them when the fix doesn't last as long as the customer thinks it should." Hopefully you can keep using it for a while before it totally goes. I wouldn't like hunting without my DX-1 also. Good luck and HH, Nancy

I have a DX 1 probe and would like to

use it on my MXT, what procedure due you use to make it work After connecting it to unit

dktucson said:
I have a DX 1 probe and would like to

use it on my MXT, what procedure due you use to make it work After connecting it to unit

The little black and yellow box ( that has the two cables going into it ) has a switch lever that is in between the words target and probe . While hunting , keep the switch lever on target ( this keeps your main coil working) . When you want to use the probe to find or isolate a target push
the lever over to probe . This turns off your main coil and allows the probe to work , your probe is basically a small , long coil that is hand held and uses your machines tones as an aid in location and isolation. After you have finished using your probe and want to get back to your regular swinging MAKE SURE YOU FLICK THE SWITCH BACK TO TARGET OR you will not hear the targets your coil is going over and you will waste a lot of time and energy . I have done this more times than I want to admit . Now I always periodically check while hunting to make sure I haven't accidentally flicked the switch . I hope this helps . Happy Hunting .