Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DX-1 Sunray probe

GroundScanner

Who have a DX-1 Sunray probe ? Can you tell me your likes and dislikes. I have one coming and like to know the ups and downs (FLAWS). It's for my V3i . TY HH GS

I have the dx-1 and really like it. Short list of Pluses/Minuses

Plus

Utilizes detector battery
Can run in disc. mode with detector in case there is iron in the same hole.
Hard to lose since it's attached.
Excellent depth and a readout on your detector.

Minus

Weight added onto the detector. (I don't notice it much)
Costs more.
Can leave switch on probe after a dig and continue detecting.... :rolleyes: (Come on, you know you have done it, too....)
Need more than one if you change detector brands...

There's my two cents. I've owned a couple of GPP's,DX-1's, and the X-1. Prefer the Sunray. I'd post in the Whites general forum or accys. Might get more response. :biggrin:

If you hunt in Lock track there is no problem but in some cases in Auto Trac mode switching betwen the 1" DX1 coil and the detector coil can cause the need to G/B after digging the target. This has been discussed in detail.

Also if you check you will see an increase in signal% due to the DX1 switch. This shouldn't cause a performance problem.

Oh yeah, forgot about that issue some people have. Now I see why you posted on the V forum GS. I havent noticed any performance issues with GB and almost always run in Auto Track mode. I have the Vx3, but I don't think that matters in this case. I'm sure you will enjoy the Sunray.

Here is an excerpt from a post about compatibility by Ralph at SunRay.

The stock White's 10" DD coil may or may not overload with the DX-1 in-line depending on the tolerances from coil to coil. This has nothing to do with the probe or coil involved, rather with the switch (for switching from coil to probe and visa versa)

When I used a DX1 I didn't have the problem either.

ONE DAY, there will be a wireless pinpointer with no cord, but screen ID. It's not an if but a when. It will have to be on a new Whites model. No I have not heard anything about this.

[attachment 268154 ScreenHunter_46Jun.1217.42.jpg]

I bought a DX-1 for my V3i about a month or so ago and expected the DX-1 to have better depth than a hand held unit but found only a slight improvement. My buddy uses one on his DFX and gets 3-4 inches easily while mine seems to average 2 to 3 inches at best. When I raised the question about depth on the Sun Ray forum while using it on my V3i I was told that my results were normal

I still like it though.

Here is a copy of my response from Ralph at Sun Ray:

2 - 3" is normal for the DX-1 although keep in mind that settings on the detector will definately affect the probe depth the same as it does the coil. Usually stock programs are set fairly mild so upping the sensitivity settings some will usually increase the depth. The older white probe electronics is identical to the newer short 6" black probe except the tube is cut shorter to save an ounce of weight. Performance is the same. You might want to compare your settings with your partner's although there will be differences in the settings from one model to another.

Ralph (Sun Ray

Ralph of course is entirely correct. The DX1 can be used in both all metal (pinpoint) or discrimination mode. Increasing gains on the detector will affect the X1 coil depth the same as the V3i coil depth.

When I used the DX1 the advantage for me was its ability to discriminate, not its depth. I chased a lot less deep nails when I used the DX1.

Set your All Metal Sensitivity to 90 and you should get the 3-4 inches in pinpoint mode.

Rob (IL) said:
When I used the DX1 the advantage for me was its ability to discriminate, not its depth. I chased a lot less deep nails when I used the DX1.

A big +1 on that. As I become more confident with this detector, I venture into more and more trashy areas. I've hunted many places where a ferrous target will be over the primary target. The Sunray is a huge plus in this area as it also discriminates as to what you have set on your detector. It still baffles me why we don't have wireless yet... :rolleyes:

First we get the hand held, THEN......

I have one on my V3i and it works great. I also use a hand held pointer (Garrett). The DX-1 helps when I need a little more depth to find if the item is still in the hole or not or if it is the chunk I just dug out.

-DakotaScott