Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac Heat-shrink rain shield and homemade screen protector.

cladhopper73

Here's some pictures of my version of the Heat Shrink Bag Rain Shield for the E-Ttrac.

Let me tell you... it does take time and patience to accomplish though.

Here's what's needed:
** one iPad mini screen protector
** 8" x 12" heat shrink bags (the smaller the MILS number of the bag thickness... the better)
** Painter's tape
** foam double stick tape
** desiccant pack(s) to keep moisture from building up.
** razor knife
** heat gun or possibly, a good hair dryer.
** good scissors
** glue stick
** clear tape (packaging or Scotch type)

First... I made a Screen Protector out of the Zagg Ipad mini sized screen protector. I did this using the plastic, temporary factory applied screen protector that comes on your new E-Trac. I applied some glue stick glue to the factory screen protector and secured it on top of the Zagg screen protector.

2) Then I used some quick drying spray paint and painted the Zagg Screen Protector lightly, over and around, the over-laid Factory Screen Protector. As soon as the paint is dry to the touch, I separated the Factory cover from the Zagg Cover. Now, just cut out the pattern and you've now made a durable custom Zagg Screen Protector. Carefully apply your newly made Screen Protector.

3) Apply Painters Tape to the E-Trac's housing around the edges of the screen as shown.

4) Apply one continuous strip of Double-Stick Tape on top of the Painter's Tape encircling the E-Trac's Face Plate, rounding it over the edges to where it's almost touching the screen. Leave the backing of the Double-Stick Tape on.

5) Cut a Heat Shrink Bag so that it, when pulled over the top of the E-Trac's head unit, it extends about 1 and 3/4 inches beyond the bottom of the screen when pulled over it.

6) Now secure the Desiccant pack(s) as shown with Painter's Tape.

7) Now the tricky part... remove the one continuous piece of backing from the Double-Stick Tape and remove and re-apply it a few times. Leave the backing on as the final step at this time... You'll understand why shortly.

:geek: Now that the grip on the backing of the Double-Stick Tape has been weakened, with the backing still in place, slide the Heat Shrink Bag over the Control Head of the E-Trac, using needle nose pliers, slip the pliers under the Face Plate and start to remove the backing from the Double-Stick Tape and bond the Heat Shrink Bag to it (as tightly fitted as possible). This is gonna take a few tries... be patient.

9) Now use Packaging/Scotch Tape on the bottom of the Heat Shrink Bag to enclose the control head.

10) Now, carefully use a heat gun to shrink the bag tightly over the E-Trac. Start far away and work the heat gun closer while constantly moving it.

11) Once the bag has shrunk to your satisfaction, take your Razor knife and very carefully cut the heat shrunk bag away from your E-Trac's display screen/buttons carefully following the raised edges of around the display. You can re-inforce any parts of the Heat Shrunk bag with clear packaging tape to give it some real durability.[/b]

It's a long process... but I try to protect my Detectors as much as possible. I did both mine and my wife's E-Trac this way. The only difference is, is that on my better half's machine... I allowed access to the E-Trac X-CHANGE port. The cover is really not that obvious or ugly in real life: