Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac kHz setting???

Monkeys Uncle

Is it possible to set the kHz setting on E-Trac machines? Is it related to 'sensivity' or 'noice cancel'? I ask in regards to hunting for jewelery/gold. TIA and HH!

full band spectrum....fbs.......nope......some say that the lower noise cancel channels are better for silver......higher channels are better for jewelry......I do not know.
Too much silver/copper out there and I live where the nearest beach is a state away....and I don't like the pull tabs, can slaw....foil....I have enough of them and don't need more of it.
Test all the rings you have ...use the threshold pitch and in tone id adjust the no. of tones , sounds, variability and limits to get a best for you to hear sound...
For ladies 10k , I just load up the minelab coins factory mode and dig all the low tones....That is what I usually find at swimming places ...for sports fields lock in the mens bands id....
2 to 13 co pattern for ladies 10 k and I got six rings at one swimming pond.....I looked for a mans wedding band and found it at a 20-21 co id....finally after a couple of handful of pull tabs.
Make your own pattern for certain rings you are after...ladies or mens... to hunt both you would have an open screen to drive you nuts, But...it can be trained in this manner to work for jewelry.

full band spectrum....fbs.......nope......some say that the lower noise cancel channels are better for silver......higher channels are better for jewelry......I do not know.
Too much silver/copper out there and I live where the nearest beach is a state away....and I don't like the pull tabs, can slaw....foil....I have enough of them and don't need more of it.
Test all the rings you have ...use the threshold pitch and in tone id adjust the no. of tones , sounds, variability and limits to get a best for you to hear sound...
For ladies 10k , I just load up the minelab coins factory mode and dig all the low tones....That is what I usually find at swimming places ...for sports fields lock in the mens bands id....
2 to 13 co pattern for ladies 10 k and I got six rings at one swimming pond.....I looked for a mans wedding band and found it at a 20-21 co id....finally after a couple of handful of pull tabs.
Make your own pattern for certain rings you are after...ladies or mens... to hunt both you would have an open screen to drive you nuts, But...it can be trained in this manner to work for jewelry.
As usual..."YOU DA MAN"! Thanks again.

I've heard (not verified) that lower kHz is best for silver, while higher kHz improves chances for 'honing' in on gold. Someone (who shall remain nameless) that I trust, 'thinks' lower Noise Control values may equate to lower kHz and vice versa.

I have not personally tested these ideas, but intend to do so. My ultimate plan - is to leave my vehicle set up to detect silver and when I eventually 'turn' to head back, reset my E-trac (disc. pattern, noise channel, etc.) for gold and basically re-trace my steps.

What do you think...
puzzled.gif
..."Dumb idea" or "Sounds good"?????

I think you should try a sports field or a pond or beach that people have used a lot in the past...check the sidelines and outfield....and any gate/entrance into or out of the field...most are fenced in...
I found some in deep left field of a baseball park right on the baseline. Go where there is a chance at least of finding gold....women put their rings on towels and go swimming .When they get out of the water , they run for a towel and grab it up before thinking and the rings are thrown from the towel...use your head and think where to find one....even along a sidewalk/walkway to a sports field or pond. Also around a basketball post that holds the back board up...they take the rings/jewelry off and get misplaced during the game...someone steps on or kicks them during play. TOT lots also around swings and merry go rounds, slides anything that involves a parent pushing or pulling a child.

Last edited:
hey Monkeys Uncle....
Found this for you....I guess someone else agrees with me.....How about that...a first for me.

Low Noise Cancel Setting (1 maintains the lowest possible frequency @ 1.5 KHZ) Forget the Automatic Noise Cancel setting, and set it manually to “1”. A “1” noise cancel setting maintains the lowest operating frequency of the ETRAC. If you auto set the noise cancel and the ETRAC sets it at a block 9, you lost the lowest operating frequency which is what will provide you with the best and quickest response to silver coins.

Last edited:
Therefore a noise cancel of 11 would be the highest khz's.... better for low conductors ......jewelry/nickels.....we all learn something if we ask.

OK...I will be silent and let others chime in for awhile.

I don’t use his settings in this video, and this is an Explorer he is testing but the eTrac will use the same noise cancel scheme. Pay close attention to his frequency test and what happens to the frequencies as the channel numbers increase. It’s not what one would expect.

and some more info from the internet...I guess it is what works for you ???????

I read a year ago something simular, but just the opposite, low number noise cancel was equal to lower frequencies on the Etrac, but in this video low noise cancel numbers were the higher frequency with the Explorer.
On noise cancel 1 there’s a burst of pulses every 0.72ms (1.39KHz) and each pulse has a rate of 45 us (22.2KHz)

On noise cancel 11 there’s a burst of pulses every 0.6ms (1.67KHz) and each pulse has a rate of 36 us (27.78KHz)

I measured the channel 6 frequency of the short pulse train, and indeed it's at 25KHz.

and some more info from the internet...I guess it is what works for you ???????

I read a year ago something simular, but just the opposite, low number noise cancel was equal to lower frequencies on the Etrac, but in this video low noise cancel numbers were the higher frequency with the Explorer.
On noise cancel 1 there’s a burst of pulses every 0.72ms (1.39KHz) and each pulse has a rate of 45 us (22.2KHz)

On noise cancel 11 there’s a burst of pulses every 0.6ms (1.67KHz) and each pulse has a rate of 36 us (27.78KHz)

I measured the channel 6 frequency of the short pulse train, and indeed it's at 25KHz.
Soooo...have we concluded that 'higher' kHz signal = improved ID on lower conductive metal, i.e., 'gold' and 'lower' kHz = improved ID on higher conductive metal (copper/silver)?? AND...have we actually determined that a lower 'noise cancel' channel (1, 2, 3 etc.) = lower kHz?? OR...do these ONLY have an impact on 'small' gold, i.e., flakes and specs of gold nuggets detected by GOLD detectors? It could be that ONLY Minelab engineers "KNOW FOR SURE". :unsure:

Only the engineers know. I don’t purposely set a channel, I let the machine choose it. I think the general thought is that it’s not a big enough shift to make a real world difference and choosing the channel manually is akin to witchcraft. However...if an individual operator is actually perceiving a difference in performance, then do what is providing the best result, whether it be “by the book” or not. WE only really know what we observe.

I only know this for sure....the man who made this display case uses noise cancel channel 1 for silver. Here is a pic of display case number 1.

And says....

Minelab ETRAC Metal Detector THE WORLD'S HOTTEST For SILVER COINS!

here is some proof ...you decide.....

Untitled.jpg

All I can say is none of this is supported in the operating manual.

Page 31, Noise Cancel looks for a channel to minimize interference to the machine. So it smooths the operation of the machine, it doesn't say for silver hunting run low Noise numbers and for gold run high Noise numbers.

Sensitivity is looking at the magnetic interference in the ground, page 54.

FBS Page 5, The FBS circuit automatically transmits multiple frequencies simultaneously.

All this is interesting but I think we are trying to make the machine do something that it will not do.

Good luck,

Ron in WV

When you noise cancel the minelab way or by the book...has it ever settled on noise cancel 1.....not usually....so no one uses it except a hunter could do it manually....I suppose. no more from me except this link...

Last edited:
There are just fallacies in that video and I only watched less than 2 minutes. Firstly, the person, whoever it is, says that “when you turn on your eTrac or CTX, it chooses a frequency. It does not. It simply KEEPS the machine on the same channel as it was when you shut it off. This can be checked, verified and OBSERVED. The second thing...noise cancel 1 does NOT necessarily represent 1.5khz. I have NO idea WHERE the person got that idea. How do they know? The thing I really don’t care for on YouTube is that anyone has the freedom to say anything, and it can be completely and totally misleading to those who are in the habit of blindly believing. In order to have answers...the RIGHT answers....we must adhere to the scientific method. That’s where FACTS come from. There’s an incredibly HIGH chance that this operator simply has some decent sites to work with, and the result is a decent supply of coins.

All I can say is none of this is supported in the operating manual.

Page 31, Noise Cancel looks for a channel to minimize interference to the machine. So it smooths the operation of the machine, it doesn't say for silver hunting run low Noise numbers and for gold run high Noise numbers.

Sensitivity is looking at the magnetic interference in the ground, page 54.

FBS Page 5, The FBS circuit automatically transmits multiple frequencies simultaneously.

All this is interesting but I think we are trying to make the machine do something that it will not do.

Good luck,

Ron in WV
Not arguing...but the concept (low kHz vs high kHz) may be a "proprietary" issue and therefore not discussed in the Owner's Manual. I believe it IS a fact that "Gold" detectors operate using a very high kHz electro magnetic signal...but do so in order to detect very small gold flakes, etc. I am also 'relatively sure' each channel employed by E-Trac's Noise Cancel feature a different kHz. Again, I'm confident the exact kHz value is proprietary. One thing for sure...as you change the NC channels, the screens VDI values (FE - CO) will change (up/down) slightly as well. Oh well...I didn't major in electrical engineering or metallurgy either. I do know/admit...my E-Trac is smarter than its operator!! :giggle: It's time for another :coffee: HH and keep on digging!

Elmy, You got my attention with the video above, I am all in. I check my settings to see how close I was. The Threshold Pitch was 24 changed to 30. My Variability was already set to 30. Noise was set at 2, changed that to 1.
I did notice his machine was set on Conductive Sounds and he was running Multi Tones. My machine is set for Ferrous Sounds, your thoughts on that?

Now I would sure like to get a look at his killer silver pattern.
You do good work,

Thanks Ron in WV

Ferrous sounds will not produce the unmistakable silver squeal you hear with multi tones....you hunt until you hear it....in a way cherry picking but including the clad coins vdi's in the pattern.
The changes you made to your threshold pitch and Variability and noise cancel do not work in ferrous sounds....you made no change in sounds of a coin at all with your settings.
It has to be in multi conduct to work.

Before I go to roost with the chickens...I will say "I've enjoyed this discussion". Hats off to all who "pitched in" and "DO, COME BACK" whenever you feel so compelled. Hope we ALL do/or have benefited in some manner from the exchange!!! (y) :love: