Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac tones....

moseng

Well, actually I am using the emulator with US coins. Still trying to decide on which new detector. Is it just me or is there no way to tell the difference between a pull tab and a gold ring? For example the first pull tab and the first gold ring sound and look EXACTLY the same to me. In fact the second pull tab and the second ring sound the same too. I understand it's all about sounds with the E-trac but try as hard as I might I cannot tell the difference. Am I doing something wrong?

The advice of pro778 is correct. To dig gold rings you will have to dig a lot of pulltabs also. This fact has been true with every detector I have owned. I have noted (in air tests with the E-trac) that mens gold wedding bands fall in the ferrous 11, 12 range (most in the 12) with the cond. anywhere from 20 to 40. Hence they may sound like a copper or zinc penny. Womens small gold rings were a different story, depending on whether the ring was 10kt or 14kt. On these, ferrous was lower and much varied, the cond was lower also (cond. 8,to 20) I did this test set in factory coin mode and 4 tones. This is not an extensive ring study and is one I did air testing in my back yard with just a few rings. If anybody has a wider study of gold rings, a lot of us would like to see it posted. Thanks

Thanks guys. Really I did think that was the case but for some reason I thought that a "bleeding edge" device like the E-Trac might somehow have the capability to help not have to dig as many pull tabs (I already have quite a few and really don't need to add any more to my collection). Coindude, thanks for the numbers... I will still dig though I would imagine.

Dang, I've been racking my brain about this. I read an article once, probably from one of the sovereign or excalibur tip books, about where to find the "majority" of gold rings when comes to conductivity. It explained that many "smaller" gold rings fall in the same range as pull tabs and that by discriminating out pull tabs you could be missing some gold rings. But, it explained how to set up your detector to get the majority of gold rings and jewelry and yet disc out the pulltabs. Maybe someone else can remember the book. Ray in Waco, TX.

I got my first gold ring yesterday and it was reading 16-46 to 16-47 one way and 12-46 the other. It is a very old ring at 7 to 8 inches and has a small crown in the first box, 18 in the second box, and a standing lion in the third. Kind of made my day after digging clad in the mud. Just sounded so good had to take a chance and dig so you never know. If I read the hallmark stuff right it is an England made 18 kt, in about 1917. I love this machine and I still dig junk but .......

Hi pro778..I believe some detectors can tell the difference pretty effectively. For one example, the DFX can be set up with tone ID on, and properly ground balanced and programed, can tell by VDI numbers whether it is a gold ring, VDI 05 to 21, 34 or 58 and etc,,or a VDI 22 to 43 pull tab, or a VDI 20 nickel. I/m sure the ET can do the same someway. Good Hunting,...... How.;