Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-TRAC Unresponsive For A Few Seconds

mapper65

Hi guys, as I had mentioned in a previous post my brother and I both bought E-TRACS a little over a week ago. One thing that we both noticed is that occasionally during a day of detecting (maybe twice during the day) the E-TRAC will make a steady "target like" tone for about 2-3 seconds and then it seems kind of unresponsive for a few seconds. By unresponsive I mean it doesn't make any other sounds and it seems like if you were to swipe over something it probably wouldn't show a target ID. The display seems to display the normal screen without any numbers but I'm pretty sure the FE & CO labels show up.. I have to believe that the firmware in these has not changed for a very long time and I know that our E-TRACs were ordered from the US Minelab distribution and re-shipped to us the same day by a dealer. I'm guessing that this must be something that's common but what's happening when it does that?

Mine does that, it seems to do because I have the threshold tone set as low as possible. I pushed the tone all the way up and it would never seem to do at the higher level. When mine does it, I hit the pinpoint button and it stops the constant tone. Check to see where the threshold tone is set.

Thats very strange I have a 5 year old model made in Ireland
but mines never done that and I bought mine used.
That would irritate me my brother and father just bought brand new Etracs
and thiers never do that?

I have two Etracs and both mine do it occasionally. Mine comes back on as soon as a good or bad target is hit. I think it has something to do with balancing the ground ever how Minelabs do that.

daddyflea said:
I have two Etracs and both mine do it occasionally. Mine comes back on as soon as a good or bad target is hit. I think it has something to do with balancing the ground ever how Minelabs do that.

I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm out and see if hitting a target makes it instantly recover. I'm leaning towards nothing being wrong with the detector being that it would seem rather strange for both of the two that we just bought to have the same issue and that firmware has been out for such an extended period of time. I also don't believe that we received consecutive serial numbers. It may just be hitting an odd target and that's the way it's recovering. I do know that when I've noticed it happening that I stopped and picked the coil up off the ground to look at the signal and then didn't immediately continue to detect. At this point I'm very aware of the sounds and target ID's until I can learn to trust my ears like I can with the 705. Maybe if I continue detecting it will pull out of it faster and return to "normal". We'll see what happens.

I meant that I personally have two and both mine do it. I have seen several posts like this and I have decided this is normal behavior.

mapper65 said:
daddyflea said:

I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm out and see if hitting a target makes it instantly recover. I'm leaning towards nothing being wrong with the detector being that it would seem rather strange for both of the two that we just bought to have the same issue and that firmware has been out for such an extended period of time. I also don't believe that we received consecutive serial numbers. It may just be hitting an odd target and that's the way it's recovering. I do know that when I've noticed it happening that I stopped and picked the coil up off the ground to look at the signal and then didn't immediately continue to detect. At this point I'm very aware of the sounds and target ID's until I can learn to trust my ears like I can with the 705. Maybe if I continue detecting it will pull out of it faster and return to "normal". We'll see what happens.

daddyflea said:
I meant that I personally have two and both mine do it. I have seen several posts like this and I have decided this is normal behavior.

Yes, I understood, I'm just going to pay more attention to what seems to happen when that happens and maybe I can shed some light on it for the next guy that thinks this is a problem. I was hoping to get out a little this weekend but that might not happen if the ground freezes.

That type of issue used occur during developmental stages of E Trac, CTX etc etc.
Very difficult to replicate in the lab.
Some E Trac owners used complain about a very high-pitch threshold tone sound coming and going mysteriously?
The design Team used say: "Must be a particular button push sequence?" as a cause???
But, I have experienced what you described mapper65, a few times.

I have it happen on one of mine every time I hunt. I just dont pay it any attention. As soon as I hit a Target it is gone. Sometimes or often it happens while I am digging. All I do is just reach over and wiggle the machine and it goes away.

If you know these Guys tell them we are ready for Etrac 2. They don't really need to do anything except steal the screen off a couple V3i and stick it on the Etrac. When its raining I don't hunt anyway.

Des D said:
That type of issue used occur during developmental stages of E Trac, CTX etc etc.
Very difficult to replicate in the lab.
Some E Trac owners used complain about a very high-pitch threshold tone sound coming and going mysteriously?
The design Team used say: "Must be a particular button push sequence?" as a cause???
But, I have experienced what you described mapper65, a few times.

Was out yesterday with two pals one with an E Trac, the other with an Explorer 2 + my own E Trac.
We hunted fairly tightly in a wooded clearing - we al made finds and even surrounded by electric fencing none of us had any issues with what's being discussed here.
We then moved to a larger stubble field and same here - no issues and no electric fencing around that field but were 'active' nearby as the cattle were 'mooing' loudly across the land in another paddock.
Again, we all made finds and one silver came up with the other E Trac.
A perfect day (with the exception of the sudden rain storm that soaked us thru)

NB: I have experienced 'piggy-back' signalling when working in close proximity with other detectors: that is when one detector 'can pick up the transmit signal' from another detector close by and can actually double the depth capability of the "jumped" detector - it has been documented and occurred with Fisher's X-Series detectors i.e. the 1265

I believe what you may be experiencing is the detector nulling out. This could be due to a sudden rapid change of ground balance conditions. Say for instance you have detected over a old campfire pit. I would think a coil going out of phase would also cause this. Try a different coil and if it still happens even once then it most likely will be a setting you can live with.

My last few trips out with the E-TRAC, I have not experienced this issue again. It's seems like Des mentioned earlier, it must be some random chain of events that triggers this.

mapper65 said:
My last few trips out with the E-TRAC, I have not experienced this issue again. It's seems like Des mentioned earlier, it must be some random chain of events that triggers this.

It will happen again for sure common occurrence. I pay it no attention any more. Just move the coil a little and it will go away. Normally happens while digging.

When this happens, if and when it recovers pay close attention to the recommended sensitivity.
If its way lower than the previous average prior to the incident, power cycle the detector.

Power cycling works wonders for many goofy unexplainable issues.

ironsight said:
When this happens, if and when it recovers pay close attention to the recommended sensitivity.
If its way lower than the previous average prior to the incident, power cycle the detector.

Power cycling works wonders for many goofy unexplainable issues.

How do you Power Cycle your Detector never heard of that.

Thanks but I dont think there is anything wrong with them. Kinda expected behavior to me. Think it has a lot to do with laying them down on junk targets while you are digging. Then when you get up the machine works hard getting back to normal or something like that.

I've continued to experience this issue one or twice almost every time out, it's annoying yet it doesn't effect the overall operation. I did have one instance where it froze up and wouldn't recover, I had to cycle power.