Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-trac Vs Explorer

ND Digger

I was talking to a gentleman at a store that sells detectors and he was telling me that they have a coin test garden and the E-trac will detect coins up to 4" deeper than the Explorer. I thought the E-trac, Explorer and Safari had pretty much the same depth capabilities with the difference being discrimination and separation from adjacent iron targets. Any input would be appreciated, as if this is true, I would definitely move up to an E-trac from my Safari.

I think a lot of people are led to believe the Safari is a simplified E-Trac when I believe it's more an upgraded Quarto. I feel the E-Trac is in a class all it's own.

4"?? no way. Unless you had the Explorer sensitivity down to almost nothing and the E-trac's jacked up.

I have both detectors and they are about same on depth. I prefer the E-trac overall because of some of the features and stability, but depth is not a consideration since they are so evenly matched.

The E-Trac is a bit different than the Explorers and the Quattro/Safari and many of us find it seems to work better for us and from what we have seen and it may have a slight depth advantage, but 4 inches is stretching it a bit. What I have seen with the one I use is that the deeper signals we can hear them a little better and comparing that signal with the Explorer it too will see it and give a good signal too, but not as nice of a signal. We haven't seen a target the E-Trac get the Explorer will not, but it seems the E-Trac will see it a bit better.
The biggest things I like on the E-Trac is it runs smoother so you can hear the deeper targets better if you don't have your sensitivity to high as auto+3 works great for me while on the Explorer if I used semi auto I lost depth in trashier area. I also like the faster response of the E-Trac and the Quick mask as you can adjust the conductivity or ferrous while swinging the detector with your thumb to check out any target that is iffy. We have also notice it seems to see coins on edge better plus those that have iron close to them as many of the coins we find in the well worked parks and such have iron below or very close to the good target.
We have a couple of guys that hunt together with one has the Explorer XS while the other has the E-Trac and they do find a lot of silver and old coins. One weekend the XS will do better, next weekend the E-Trac seems to find more. The guy with the E-Trac seems to find older and deeper coins with some quite deep, but it seems like these areas are the trashier areas. The guy with the XS went behind the E-Trac one time and picked up 5 merc he had missed, but that can be the E-Trac coil never went over them.
They are close to depth with the E-Trac possibly a slight edge, but not any 3-4 inches we have seen. I feel the E-Trac runs smoother, faster recovery and seems to pick out coins a bit better in trash over the Explorers and Safari which are great detector too, but the Safari to me is a upgraded Quattro like Southwind says.

Rick

Sounds like a sales pitch to get you to buy an Etrac!----I've owned & used the Explorers and really loved them.----I now own & use the Etrac and REALLY love it (for some of the reasons already mentioned-including features it has).----But I can tell you with certainty, the Etrac (as good & as deep of a machine as it is) isn't going to get you no 4" deeper coins than the other Explorers--FACT!---I'm talking about everything being equal--as much as possible (ground conditions, settings etc.)-----Forgive me for "beating around the bush"-- AGAIN! :) ---------Del

I want to thank everyone for your unbiased and helpful posts. Since I swing a Safari and don't know anyone around here that has an E-trac, I had no way of finding out by myself. This is the best site for gaining and sharing of detecting that I have ever seen. Again, Thank you very much!

If this is the case I know of 3 of us that have a E-Trac, one guy is in Horace that is awsome with his E-Trac and Explorer, I just sold a new one to a guy in Jamestown last week, but he needs to get some time on it and I am 35 miles southwest of Fargo in a town called Chaffee if you would like to see one, but I have to get one in again as i even sold my demo after I sold all the new ones. If nothing else get the book on the Explorer and E-Trac Andy Sabish has out and read about them. I have some here and you are more than welcome to borrow one to read.

Rick

Sorry for taking awhile to respond Rick(ND) - yes, I'm from ND- Bismarck. Thanks for the offer. I don't get down that way very often, but if I do I'll look you up!