Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Early coal mines

laplander

Administrator
Staff member
We {Melvin and I} hunted a bean field along an abandoned railroad track near a ghost town/coal mine. The finds were plentiful but the keepers were few and far between. I love finding these coal miners tags as they were personal items representing a days productivity. Miners weren't paid by the hour but by the coal cart full as he filled the cart he would attach his tag to the load. The tags were held to his clothes by a large safety pin. The miner still wasn't paid cash but received credit at the company store where he could trade for coupon books or tokens to be used at the store. Consumption or black lung turned these mostly immigrant workers to dust at an early age feeding our young countries industrial appetite.
06 barb dime VDI 24
97 V nickel VDI 12
large brass buckle VDI mixed high tones at over 18 inches
# 65 miners tag from mine number 4 VDI 23
Nox field 2 program
HH Jeff

Attachments

• 20211129_171948.jpg
    20211129_171948.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
  • 20211128_175739.jpg
    20211128_175739.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 127
Tennessee Ernie sand about that company store, doesnt seem fair but ya did what ya had to do to feed the family…..neat finds!

Awesome finds!! Love the miners tag!

Yes, I know the times well. Maybe just part. Ha. Ha. I'm an old coal miner and fire boss. So was my dad and his dad and my mother's dad. I remember buying things at the stores. I find miner tags a lot and a few old store tokens. I find carbide lights, but nothing much is left. I still have my light from the mines and carbide lights I use caving. Thanks for showing. Post some more finds and good luck.

Yes, I know the times well. Maybe just part. Ha. Ha. I'm an old coal miner and fire boss. So was my dad and his dad and my mother's dad. I remember buying things at the stores. I find miner tags a lot and a few old store tokens. I find carbide lights, but nothing much is left. I still have my light from the mines and carbide lights I use caving. Thanks for showing. Post some more finds and good luck.
Thanks John, I think were on the same page!
HH Jeff