Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Early CTX Detectors

Gord (Tecumseh)

I need to know how to identify if a CTX is one of the early models that had the faulty O seals / D seals for the battery pack. Any help greatly appreciated.

The old battery doesn't have that black rubber D seal around it's periphery.
However, you really can't tell the age of the detector from the seals / battery as they are both easily replaceable.

I'm guessing what you're really saying is you don't want any leaks .... regardless of the actual age of the CTX.
In that case, if you buy any used CTX .... just get a new seal kit and throw the old seals away.

I just had to order a new rechargable battery pack(my old one stopped taking a charge after 7 years) and the new edition has a built in seal just snap it in and go. Was $130 which is less than an extra shaft.

Years ago when I had my first ctx I got hold of some o rings that allowed for a tighter seal. Sold the ctx to pay for something and now I have another ctx. Haven’t tried the o rings yet, (had about 50) but will this evening

The old battery doesn't have that black rubber D seal around it's periphery.
However, you really can't tell the age of the detector from the seals / battery as they are both easily replaceable.

I'm guessing what you're really saying is you don't want any leaks .... regardless of the actual age of the CTX.
In that case, if you buy any used CTX .... just get a new seal kit and throw the old seals away.
Do you get the new seal kit from minelab or is it an aftermarket item?

smkunder,
I got mine directly from Minelab, but many dealers also carry the Minelab parts.
Additionally, many aftermarket kits have been built/sold using general purpose (round) o-rings of the proper size.
If you REALLY want to DIY, you can search for the proper o-ring numbers, and order them directly from o-ring suppliers.

The very first CTX had a domed display.

That soon went.
then there was the rubber insert put into shaft to stop the wear
updated armrest & battery seals came next,
During the early days the internal seals were also updated to prevent water ingress.