Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Earphones for the ctx3030

You’ll likely get a lot of answers. A company called “Killer B“ makes a set of headphones called “Hornets”. Incredible headphones, they’re all I’ve used with the CTX. They make other models which people like quite a bit, as well as a single sided model called the “Stinger”. Another brand is “Sunray” who make a model of headphone called the “Pro Gold”. Again, some variations available, all of which seem to be popular. Both of these brands are very “detector specific”....built to be in that environment. Rumor has it that BOTH of these brands are actually built by the same manufacturer, but I have no way of confirming that.
Yet a third brand is “Grey Ghost”, and I mention them because their design is a “tank” style, just like the Killer B Hornet. These cover the ear completely and totally, and seem to be the best or close to it for cutting out surrounding noise. Have a look around the net for these brands and pricing.

Are you going in the water?

For land hunting I use the Sunray Pro Golds. They do a good job blocking out outside noise.

I was going to get another set for backup. I might get the killer b's to compare them.

I have the grey ghost(waterproof) and they are not as loud as the pro golds.

I use the Grey Ghosts on my Fishers. As long as they are adjusted to fit directly over the ears they block wind and traffic noises wonderfully. Just remember to adjust up or down to compensate for headwear.
I run the volume max on the detector and adjust volume down on the headphones to meet conditions at the time.

I use the Grey Ghosts on my Fishers. As long as they are adjusted to fit directly over the ears they block wind and traffic noises wonderfully. Just remember to adjust up or down to compensate for headwear.
I run the volume max on the detector and adjust volume down on the headphones to meet conditions at the time.
Thank you so much for all your information!

You’ll likely get a lot of answers. A company called “Killer B“ makes a set of headphones called “Hornets”. Incredible headphones, they’re all I’ve used with the CTX. They make other models which people like quite a bit, as well as a single sided model called the “Stinger”. Another brand is “Sunray” who make a model of headphone called the “Pro Gold”. Again, some variations available, all of which seem to be popular. Both of these brands are very “detector specific”....built to be in that environment. Rumor has it that BOTH of these brands are actually built by the same manufacturer, but I have no way of confirming that.
Yet a third brand is “Grey Ghost”, and I mention them because their design is a “tank” style, just like the Killer B Hornet. These cover the ear completely and totally, and seem to be the best or close to it for cutting out surrounding noise. Have a look around the net for these brands and pricing.
I have an additional question; I did get the hornets from killer B but you have to put an adapter in to make headphones work as they aren’t quite long enough; do they make them specific to fit the 3030 or does everyone use the adapter? Or what other headphones fit exactly without having to do an adapter.

Of what "adapter" do you speak??
There's the (included) Minelab adapter that attaches to the back to allow 1/4" HPs to plug in.
There's a 1/4" stereo/mono adapter sometimes needed to hear audio in both ears. (Usually w/older phones.)
There are extension adapters to increase the cord length.

If it's the later, you can (carefully!) stretch the coiled headphone cable to lengthen it.
Be sure to grasp/support both ends as you stretch, so as to not pull the wiring out of the connector or phones....don't just pull away!
(Those of us born about a million years ago may remember having to do this with the coiled landline telephone cords, to lengthen them.)

You can, of course, get a really long connection by just plugging the phones into the wireless adapter.
:)
mike

Last edited:
Of what "adapter" do you speak??
There's the (included) Minelab adapter that attaches to the back to allow 1/4" HPs to plug in.
There's a 1/4" stereo/mono adapter sometimes needed to hear audio in both ears. (Usually w/older phones.)
There are extension adapters to increase the cord length.

If it's the later, you can (carefully!) stretch the coiled headphone cable to lengthen it.
Be sure to grasp/support both ends as you stretch, so as to not pull the wiring out of the connector or phones....don't just pull away!
(Those of us born about a million years ago may remember having to do this with the coiled landline telephone cords, to lengthen them.)

You can, of course, get a really long connection by just plugging the phones into the wireless adapter.
mike
I was confused about the headphones that I had purchased; I didn’t know certain Headphones went with certain detectors and some do not without that adapter that changes the wiring. Sorry to have bothered you. Ill be calling the company I got the earphones from and maybe they have the kind that works with the 3030. What was sent works with another detector I have without the extra pen.....constantly learning. Thank you!

It's no bother at all!
(We like to help.)

Some of the headphones....like the SunRay Pro Golds....have a switch that can internally 're-wire' the phones to work with different detectors.
Just let your dealer know it's for the CTX, and he should be able to help.

Good luck, and HH...
mike

Silverstar....do you have the WM10? If so are you planning on using it? I actually have never plugged my Hornets DIRECTLY into the machine via the onboard headphone module on the back of the machine, Ive always connected wirelessly via the WM10 wireless module. Are you having trouble getting sound to come through the headphones? The Hornets have 2 plunger switches...one is to allow them to be used with the CTX, the other is a volume limiter. Tell me exactly what you’re having an issue with.

OMG, I’m sorry guys. I just figured out what the issue is...I’ve never run the CTX with phones plugged directly into the machine, makes the “wireless” option kinda useless. So I use the WM10 with my Hornets or just no phones at all, depending on the site. The Hornets do NOT turn off the speaker, but my pair of Killer B “ST” models DO....just tried them. Sorry to mislead anyone, I wasn’t expecting someone to plug directly to the machine...

I have a pair of the grey ghosts with my CTX 3030. My overall hearing though is not so good, so I have a hard time hearing tones with them, even with the volume control turned way up. i guess it's just me....

Hope Silverstar was able to find a solution to his issue. Hornets are a great set of headphones.

I don't have a ctx or experience with the issue, but I read that a stereo to mono adapter is needed for the speaker to shut off while using the headphones plugged in the machine.