Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

easement hunting

jmaryt

was thinking of hunting easements exclusively!..was wondering what detectors would be recommended for this?
thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Haven't seen any response to this so I'll give it a shot. If you're referring to power line easements, roadway easements etc. I'd think any good general purpose detector should be fine.
BB

i'm referring to roadway easements!..was thinking a small coil with a tone detector would do the job?
thanks for the input!..open to suggestions!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Where you suggest a "tone" model I assume you're thinking of a beep and dig machine versus a target ID model? If that's the case, I'd go with one that has interchangeable coils so you can use both the small coil and something bigger depending on the trash. Ideally, a machine that will let you ground balance manually as you may hit mineralized ground from time to time. Again if it were me I'd probably go with a Tesoro Vaquero or a good used Tesoro Eldorado, Bandito II

Last season I used the MXT with the regular 9.5 coil and hunted the sidewalk to curb location.
Did OK found lots of clad and bottle caps pull tabs and other junk.
You always encounter the reinforced steel close to the road curb and in the sidewalk if you get to close. Very idenifiable after a while.
The area I hunted was along the curb where the passenger's get out of the vehicles. Playgrounds and community clubs
Any loose change that got out of there pockets while they were sitting in the car would spill out when
they opened the door and slid out. Found some junk chains and lockets and also a few watches.

Joel, I've done that with the MXT using the smaller coils with good results. It's amazing how much trash ends up in that strip between the sidewalk and curb.
BB

BarberBill said:
Joel, I've done that with the MXT using the smaller coils with good results. It's amazing how much trash ends up in that strip between the sidewalk and curb.
BB

Bill were you using the 5.3 ?
I used the 10 DD and was not tickled by the way it pinpointed.
Will give it one more chance this year to see if it was me or the coil.
Like you will likely invest in the smaller coil. Like you said lots of trash for sure, I really dislike those foil wrappers:rage:

Joel, I've used the 5.3 and the 4X6 "shooter" a fair bit as I bought a used package that included both. The 5.3 has more depth, but in really heavy trash I find the "shooter" to be nearly surgical in its separation and due its small size, you're forced to hunt more slowly which is actually a good thing anyway. I found I had to practice a bit with the 6X10 in order to get fairly good at pinpointing with it. Mine seems to favor a bit ahead of center near the oval insignia.
HH
BB

yeah !..that's what i have been thinkin' bill!..or maybe a golden u-max with the 5.5" coil!
the "old" areas of town is what i was thinkin' about trying!..

thanks for the input!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Hi Folks; Those median strips and curb strips are little gold mines. I look for areas that have older houses on them an search the curb areas frst then the median strips.It's amazing how many silver coins are lost in those spots.i discovered their allure a few yeaars ago from a freind and now do them a lot.The Mercury dimes and Silver quarters seem to be the most prevalent there.Great stuff.Anyway Until later; PEACE:RONB :goodnight:

hi ron!
was just curious!..what detector and coils do you use?
yes!..i intend to hit just the older areas with older homes all around,especially looking for cracked sidewalks with very old trees!
probably a lot of junk,but there must be some keepers as well!..i am thinkin' most folks are just passin' them by!,thinking maybe nothing there but junk!
thanks for the input!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Hi jmaryl; I use a Fisher ID Edge with standard coil although i believe that when doing those areas the smaller the coil the better because anything lost there has not sunk very deep at all. The deepest i ever dug was 8' for a quarter. These areas are still the original dirt from when the house(s) were built so stuff is not that deep ok. Using a smaller coil will help better discriminate the trash from the treasure.Other than that good luck and post the pics ok. PEACE:RONB

i'm wondering if the f-75 is overkill in this environment!..have not used it in a suburban neighborhood yet,and hoping the (e.m.i).. wont be too bad!
was gonna use the little 3x6 coil on it!..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.

i'll get after it tomorrow!..!..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Anybody ever hassle you about it? some people consider the easement part of their lawn area..

never been hassled!..it has been MY experience
that people don't give a f*8k!..i'm happy for that!..so no issues!
it's the truth!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Hi;Not only is it not part of their lawn it is Public property owned by the city.They can complain which they sometimes do but they can't stop you as long as your not destroying the place and filling your holes ok. PEACE:RONB

Some things to think about when hunting "easements". Although it is legal to be on these pieces of dirt, they do belong to someone and you should be very respectful of that. After a few people come out and yell at you it will start feeling very creepy, but just be sure to leave the place you dug as near as possible to the way you found it and mostly you will be OK. It is probably best not to ague the law if you are challenged, just move on down the block. In some easements where it is clear people have spent a lot of effort to plant grass or plants it might be a good idea to skip over them. When the weather has been dry for awhile, digging a hole will leave a dead spot almost guaranteed, so try to dig when the ground is damp.
Having said all that, the easement is a fantastic place to find old coins and relics if the neighborhood is old. A consideration for which detector is best is that the easement has most likely been hunted before (it has been a good place to hunt for many years), so get the best detector you can afford to use on these places because the shallower items have mostly already been picked over and you will be looking for deep signals. In fact, because I try not to dig in the easements unless I am pretty sure it is something worth going after, I will only dig the deep signals. I use an E-trac now and because it seems to be about an inch deeper than the last generation of detectors I am finding a lot of deep missed coins right now.

Hope this helps

Hi; What MT DFX said is the gist of what I am trying to say.It is simply basic common sense ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB